Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Supreme Court to overturn Roe vs Wade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

This is great news for the rights of the unborn in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

From what I've read ,individual states can continue to allow abortion services?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Indeed. Once they're born, they can go f*ck themselves.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Lol. Bigotry.

Jaysus, no problem cracking a joke about women performing abortions with coat hangers, goes complete wambulance at the fact that religious fundamentalists have too much power in American politics.

That is one steep moral hill you dwell on, mind yourself lad, you could take a nasty fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well yeah you should.

Babies feel pain and are able to survive outside the womb at 24 weeks yet you have no problem with them being ripped apart a week before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Hopefully they'll go on to live happy and fulfilling lives which wouldn't have happened if they had been aborted.

Would you like to give them a chance at that life rather having them aborted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

That would imply that pregnant women might receive state supported maternity care to at least bring the "unborn" up to the point of birth.

Obviously this is not the case so its not even a case of caring for the unborn it really is just to punish women who are poor and get pregnant

So do the children gunned down regularly in America's schools, a situation that the US right expends great energy in maintaining. Funny how that's fine.

A chance at that life? Cute. And if they don't?

• Advertisement

Indeed. As I said a bit tritely above, once they're born whatever happens, happens.

Open a thread on it, I'd be more than happy to discuss the issue.

Yet you didn't answer why you are ok with 24 week old living beings getting torn out of the womb.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well, there is one word there that you can look up in a dictionary - "might". It changes the context of the sentence to one where I personally would be, to a sentence which is putting myself in the shoes of a hypothetical general person.

As I said, learn to read

Answer my question first please. Why is ok for children to be gunned down in schools when they feel pain and have heartbeats?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you said you might. you were talking about yourself not some hypothetical person. your gaslighting doesn't work.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Exactly this. The same people who celebrate this are the ones who will bitch about a woman having a child she can’t care for and should have all their benefits taken off them etc.

Its a vicious, cruel cycle where the biggest loser is women.

That's fine. You are free to deflect and distract from the issue you ostensibly claim to be supporting. It is clear that it is only a convenient tool for another agenda of yours. I'd prefer it if you didn't bring the distraction, but I can't stop you from doing so.

As is evidenced by all the unnecessary posts now on religion that have nothing to do with abortion rights. Congratulations. As I said, I'm not even religious. Wait til you try it with someone who is. Good job at deflecting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Huh? 😕

You are ranting lad, I think we should leave it there.

Where did you get the idea I thought it was ok and was in favour of the gun laws in the US?

I do think the gun laws need to be looked at just in case you weren't able to work that much out for yourself.

Now lets turn to 24 week old babies who also have heartbeats and feel lots of pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I think that’s kind of the point being made though in Alito’s opinion. To quote some of the text itself:

“Our sole authority is to exercise ‘judgment’ – which is to say, the authority to judge what the law means and how it should apply to the case at hand….The Court’s inability to end debate on the issue should not have been surprising. This Court cannot bring about the permanent resolution of a rancorous national controversy simply by dictating a settlement and telling the people to move on….We do not pretend to know how our political system or society will respond to today’s decision overruling Roe and Casey. And even if we could foresee what will happen, we would have no authority to let that knowledge influence our decision.”

Alito’s argument, while obviously influenced by his own world view, seems to advocate the pushing of the abortion question to those with democratic mandates — and therefore idealistically to the hands of the electorate — which of course means that some States would almost certainly ban abortion or restrict it to such an extent that the right is virtually worthless in most instances. At that point, it is up to democracy within the Federalist system to decide which rights should prevail. At least, that’s the argument they are rolling with — though of course I do not think they would have been as inclined to make that argument if the status quo was more pro-conservative.

I’m vehemently pro-choice but they’re playing a card around the proper forum for democracies to resolve a divisive issue — rather than opening an argument about the rights and wrongs of abortion itself. I’m not saying I agree with it but I think it’s important to be clear on what the actual legal argument is.

• Advertisement

I was addressing your post directly. no agenda. I didn't even mention religion. my post was simply anybody who thinks they might vote against abortion because they were annoyed is a complete f...

Yep. Back in 2018, I was leaning conservative on the issue but the sheer amount of misogyny I saw here made for some of the most disgusting things I've ever read on the internet.

They despise women. That really is all there is to it.

BTW, here is the full sentence that you appeared to have difficulty with. I've highlighted part of it for ya in case you ever get around to giving it another go.

Now I'd still vote to allow it, but if I was subjected to hearing that irrelevant and bigoted crap constantly for a while, I might be turned off it.

If you don't have the awareness to realise that making something about religion, and attacking people for being religious, will lose you "votes" you might otherwise have gotten, particularly in certain parts of the US, then you just don't understand too much.

When you tritely told me to start a thread on it instead of answering the question.

Since heartbeats and capacity to feel pain are irrelevant by this logic, what is the issue exactly with 24 week abortions?

nobody is attacking anybody for being religious. stating that the religious right is behind the movement to outlaw abortion is stating a fact.

The Democrats really fucked up on this over the last while. Roe v Wade was a silly ruling in terms of the knock-on effects it had beyond "privacy" and there was always a good chance a conservative court would overturn it. The Republicans have spent 15 years running through local bureaucracies and taking positions all along the chains, even in states where they wouldn't naturally dominate. Had RBG retired under Obama instead of wanting her successor to be chosen by a woman then this wouldn't have happened. Even at 5-4 Roberts likely would've weaseled out of it, the way things are now he can go "against" but still get his way while in his mind clinging on to some credibility.

And yes, obviously the fault is with who's doing whatever but the Democrats really seem like they just don't know how to play the game so much of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,827 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Remember, the right to have guns is in the Constitution. Even though it's an Amendment to the Constitution and was added in several years after.

However, the right to have an abortion is not in the Constitution, and therefore cannot be added in after. Nope, there's just no way to add in some sort of... alteration... revision... new modification thingy... into the Constitution, which is absolutely sacred and perfect from the very first time it was written.

So, there's no right to abortion in the Constitution and therefore there never can be. But also the right to bear arms is in the Constitution and therefore cannot be changed even though it was a change and wasn't originally in the Constitution but near enough to the start of the Constitution so it doesn't really matter and if a woman doesn't want a child maybe just leave it in a ditch with a gun and let it fend for itself because God will take care of it or something I don't know probably better that than the kid growing up and being in a school where another kid has same-sex parents or they can watch Disney films which is somehow now grooming which makes sense because when you think of it all those kids movies are targeted at kids and JFK Jr is the kid of JFK so maybe he's still alive I guess man these Alex Jones brain pills are really starting to kick in I'm going to take this mask off and cough in the face of the next person I hear speaking a different language even though I have covid you can't stop me I have FREEDOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The legal argument is subsumed in the political and he's really hiding behind it. It also sets a very dubious precedent in US Constitutional law to claim there are flaws in earlier judgements. He's there, like almost all the others, because of his perceived leanings and the Court has long been a political battlefield on rancorous questions. He really can't ignore that his position will most likely hold sway because of that very politics that shifted the balance in favour of one view over the other.

That's fine. That's your stance but it just shows a whole lack of awareness of using sneering language towards a group of people.

Perhaps consider my analogy on Muslims. You could also run a campaign that fundamentalist Islamic Sharia terrorists want to control Western women's bodies. That would be undoubtedly the case. If there was a fundamentalist Islamic Sharia terrorist, they would undoubtedly be against abortion.

Try to get your head around the fact that if you actually started a campaign like that in the US - ads on TV and in the media against "fundamentalist Islamic Sharia terrorists wanting to control Western women's bodies" then I guarantee you that you would alienate some Muslims who - whether you believe it or not, not all are fundamentalist Islamic Sharia terrorists - might have otherwise supported your position.

• Advertisement

This is a good point but the issue is that the controversy isn't going to go away. Quite the opposite, it's just been inflamed unnecessarily. I get the whole states' rights thing in the US but I don't see this improving anything, especially if states prevent women going to more liberal states to access abortions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement