Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I just think that it is ridiculous having the semi - finals in Croke Park, particularly as Portlaoise and Tullamore have two of the three best stadia in Leinster.The third is Nowlan Park in Kilkenny, leaving Croke Park out as it is the National Headquarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

All the hotels are being filled up with refugees and homeless. Add in more visitors post covid and the irish are outpriced from staying in a hotel in their own country.

Can this thing of spitting on your hands and rubbing them together be shamed out of the game? It's disgusting. It's up there with picking your nose and scratching your arse crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭tanko

Rory Gallaghers constant spitting and rubbing his hands together was bad enough but he’s stepped it up a level this year with the pouring of water over his head, whatever that is about. I wish the cameras would stop focussing on him so much, it’s hard to watch.

Didn't see that. What does he do? Lean forward or just straight down on top of his head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

You neglect to mention that wages are considerably higher in Dublin. Also, public transport is easily accessible in Dublin but not outside it.

Make all the excuses you want but this is bias in Dublins favour, always has been. No, Navan is not available, why not play it in Tullamore? Or Portlaoise? No, of course it has to in Dublin's home ground and of course Kildare and Westmeath are also dragged there to make up the numbers to make it financially worth while opening it up.

Your "Dublin against the country" bullsh1t is not an opinion, it's a fact.

Dress it up all you want, it's all going Dublin's way, and has been for a long time now. Money, constant home advantage, population, etc.

The truth hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's all quite lovely but doesn't address the issue at hand. It's got nothing to do with Dublin. The Leinster council decide where the games are played. It's not that hard to understand really.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

And then immediately after the game goes around shaking hands with all and sundry.... Covid me eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

I disagree also. Dublin have come waaaaay back to the pack and there are at least 4 or 5 teams more likely to win the AI this year than them in my opinion. Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo, Galway, Donegal and possibly even Derry!

Don't think Meath are capable of beating Dublin yet, but they will go close and a bit of confidence in their ability might even push them over the line. It will all depend on how the heads go if Dublin go in front, will they drop or not and believe they can win. Same for Kildare come Leinster Final time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

An absolute disgrace from the GAA as usual 35 euro the scum will charge for this because its a so-called double header despite the fact that nobody from Kildare or Westmeath will stay for the second game and nobody from Meath or Dublin will go to the first game.

Meath Dublin should have been in Navan and Westmeath Kildare in Cusack park.

Have you watched Meath this year? Very lucky to survive in Division 2 Dublin will bate them out the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭JRant

If Farrell can get out of his own way, Dublin will be there or there abouts this year.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It will be interesting how Meath approach it. Last year Dublin nearly made a show of themselves against Meath. It could have been the biggest collapse in the history of Meath/Dublin games.

It looked like an unassailable lead 11 points. Yet Meath stormed back to three at one stage? Edit - 68th minute.

Dublin were really rattled atmosphere in the ground changed. Dublin only won by game management in the last few minutes or so. The 6 point margin at the final whistle was no reflection of the story of the game.

If Meath are brave and go at the Dublin back line there are goals in it for them. If they put a player on Con O’Callaghan and quieten him suddenly Dublin are limited and slow.

Many seem to still think of Dublin as, that unbeatable all round smooth football team. Movement all over the pitch, angles of attack. Effortless skill. Great subs bench. That team is history.

Dublin can be made look extremely ordinary now. IF opponents are brave, and management shows nous tactically.

There are plenty of teams who can now beat Dublin. It is all a question of mindset. Do Meath have the correct mindset? They only have to look at last years game in Leinster. At what to do and not to do.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

That Meath comeback has been wildly overhyped Dublin fell asleep because they were so comfortable at half time 11 points up Meath had no choice but to go for broke in the second half and fair play they did but once they got it back to 3 Dublin ran in the last 3 points easy as you like to win by 6.

Yes Dublin have gone backwards but so have Meath they are a poor bog standard lower division 2 team and Dublin will show that in 2 weeks time.

That is one way of looking at it. But if Meath have that mindset they have no point in showing up at all. Dublin are there for the taking IMO if a team has an intelligent cut at them.

You say Dublin fell asleep. But That is in itself a weakness. An eight point swing? If any team did that questions are asked.

The Dublin back line is a shambles I think. On third keeper now.

And that Meath game last year came after Dublin Laboured v Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

The vast majority of stadiums are grand,when you say no facilities what exactly do you mean? You mentioned Semple stadium,what is it lacking for a big GAA day out? Covered seats or terrace,that ticks every box you need.

There are a few exceptions as has been mentioned but even those grounds can work with smaller crowds.

It is styled as ‘the home of hurling’. But is ‘rough and ready’ has an antiquated feel about it. Stand old fashioned type with posts blocking views. Needs a redesign badly IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I do feel like that game was a sort of foreshadowing of how clueless Dublin would go on to look against Mayo later on.

If anything doesn't need more money it's Thurles. The over the top amount of matches and love it gets would only increased to pay for it and by the looks of it the need for neutral venues will be gone soon enough at that stadium is more than enough for the few big games a year it'll get.

There are a few old wrecks around that need doing up which are way worse.

In Limerick I would love if we whipped out the power hose and also knocked the Mackey stand but I wouldn't say it's a priority and certainly isn't stopping anyone from going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭HBC08

If you think a few poles in the stand means a stadium is not up to standard then we'd be knocking down most GAA grounds.The stadiums aren't comparable to mega money Premiership grounds of course but they don't need to be (do they need to be for the dubs?)

My point stands,terrace/covered stand = grand for big GAA matches.

You won't find many regular GAA supporters saying the wont go to a game because of the "facilities" ,interesting insight into the mindset of a Dublin supporter.

Dublin were one very dodgy retaken free away form an All Ireland final last year and tbh I think they'd have beaten Tyrone in the final. They ate Mayo alive in the 1st half it was a massacre again they dropped off second half. They have gone back now question but not back far enough to lose to Meath.

Cluxton is a massive miss no doubt and Dublin have regressed there's no doubt about it but they are far from finished and they are still far and away a better team than Meath.

Look at Meath's results during the league fluked a draw with Down who were annihilated by Monaghan in second gear on Saturday, drew with Offaly who were beaten by Wexford and beat Clare by 1 point who were beaten by Limerick. That is Meath's level you don't go from that to beating Dublin you just don't.

Fair point but you know what I mean though. A nice aesthetic looking ground. Something that looks unique. Comfortable no auld benches. Does not even have to be massive. Thomand Park in the Rugby lovely design not massive or anything. But has its own look. Basically nicer stadiums needed in the GAA ones people would like to go to. Bit of thought required. Would help draw crowds in. Instead of the current slapdash stuff. I know GAA fans are used to roughing it. But it is 2022 now.

Exactly that is what I was trying to say - Wexford - Meath - even the goal conceded v Kildare last year. All lead to that Mayo match. I was tipping Dublin to lose beforehand because of it all.

I think every county needs at least 1 good stand with a proper shop. Something for the league where a hot drink might be essential and club games where a bit of comfort and cover might be the difference between going and not.

It's been a while but I seem to remember the main stand in Tullamore being impressive and Nowlan Park I think is a great template for most GAA fan bases although not architecturally pretty. Louth have a nice looking ground in the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Tyrone won the final last year because they were playing Mayo, who looked stupid the way they were celebrating after beating Dublin in the semi and who are and will continue to be the greatest bottlers in the history of the GAA.

Anyone else would have been fine but you just knew at the time all that celebrating was gonna end up haunting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Here we go again with the celebration police. Last week it was Galway for daring to enjoy a big win in Castlebar, now we’re going back to last year where Mayo weren’t allowed to celebrate beating their biggest rival in recent memory.

There are many reasons they lost last years final, savoring a big semi final victory is not one of them. Unless there’s something I don’t know about and they went on the piss for 2 weeks after it

• Advertisement

That day was amazing and it would have been great if that O'Hora interview was part of the All Ireland winning highlights package but you just knew it was more likely to become a stick to bate them with.

It wasn't why they lost but it will be the barstool experts answer for ever more.

Advertisement