Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

Ive said it before, if there is one section you should read on your owners manual, its the section on Charging.

In particular the sub-section High Voltage Battery Information -> Battery Care.

There is no advantage to waiting until the Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact, the Battery performs best when charged regularly.

In relation to your question, I would suggest (a) applies based on the above. Follow the guidance in the manual and let the Tesla BMS do its thing.

There are various factors at play that are never constant such as the delta between winter & summer, the age & usage characteristics of your battery. It is highly dynamic. Battery longevity is at the very core of what Tesla do. They have all the data coupled with massive R&D investment and are the manufacturer, so they are THE expert on this subject.

I am DC fast charging sevaral times a week out of necessity, but otherwise I follow the guidance in the manual (I too have a Nickel Cobalt Aluminum Oxide (NCA) cell battery). After 18 months, the Tesla techs advised me that my battery is in excellent condition, allowing for some minor degredation in line with frequent DC charging. 210

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Got an email back from the delivery team there a few weeks ago saying they managed to revert to my old order(midnight silver, white interior) using the pricing structure pre-Paddys weekend price increase. Pretty delighted about it.

They made a mistake and stuck on the 19" wheels but I'm not complaining since the car is worth much more than I'm paying for it and potentially landing in the June deliveries or August at worst I've been told

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that is alloy damage rather than tyre. Tyres are flexible alloys aren't. You buckled your alloy and air is escaping.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

Found a place that could do it. No damage to the wheel at all. The tyre just needed to be resealed. When I hit the rock I instantly lost ~15 psi, so the rock popped the seam momentarily and it must not have been sitting right afterwards.

Nice little win for the day. Glad to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭splashthecash

What are peoples thoughts on the premium connectivity option? I know there is a months free trial but is it worth continuing after that runs out? I presume the car can hook up to your phone's hotspot automatically and use your mobile data for streaming\maps\etc. correct?

I have to say...this is going to be a long wait, I've been looking at videos\reviews most days since I placed the order (last week) - I don't think there will be anything left for me to read\look at by the end of May :) - when are VINs normally assigned, is it right before you receive delivery or when your car is being built?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

I have subscribed to the monthly payment for premium connectivity, for me it's worth the €9.99/month. Pity there is no yearly sub here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I went for the sub, too. It's handier than messing with hotspot, I reckon, etc.

Also, more for those who are using public charging regularly, your connection appears to be through the Netherlands so your Netflix library might be different to Irish Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

VIN is normally assigned pre delivery, often when car is on ship.

Certain things will not work using your phone hotspot, such as live camera view and satellite view maps

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Subscribed in July 2020 with the intention of keeping it only for the summer….. have kept it ever since.. €0.32 per day is well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭JOL1

Tesla doesn’t have a capability to connect to Apple CarPlay (a strategic decision by Tesla to promote greater adoption of Premium connectivity) so connecting to your phone via hotspot will not give you live streaming of maps and navigation. The Premium Connectivity is an integrated solution with live traffic and satellite map imagery which looks great. In addition you can connect to Spotify using the Tesla account and this may be of value if you don’t already have a Spotify account

At the end of the day it’s personal choice

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm not a fan of monthly deductions, you do it and forget about it. I had a few black areas where stuff would not load on me which also put me off, what's the point in subscribing if not to get coverage.

I partitioned an old SSD hard drive so have flac music which I prefer in any case over Spotify or Tidal. Don't care about Netflix or Disney+. Do like YouTube so I can throw a hotspot if bored when charging but I don't intend on public charging that often.

The single piece of connectivity I miss is the satellite view of Google Maps and it's cheeky of Tesla not to allow that via WiFI tethering. I just don't tenner a month miss it.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Agreed. Having it simply for the mapping alone does it for me. Im also in my car a lot for work so hotspotting all the time would peeve me as generally the internet connection gets dropped to 3G when I receive a call. Forking out €50k+ for a car Im not going to quibble over a tenner per month.

Just don't get me started on people who buy new cars but wont get a toll tag only to whinge about tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mobyduck

For a car costing €50k+ (or whatever that translates to in monthly payments) a tenner a month is not a big outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

You are a better driver than most :D

Note with the Model 3 wheels in particular, they extend out past the wall of the tire. So usually people would just be rubbing the tire wall. There are aftermarket protectors for sale for the Model 3, so its obviously a thing with these alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

That's a thing alright. I've never scratched my wheels more than with the Tesla. Where we live there is a stretch of the road we have to mount the kerb if a bus or any wide truck comes from the opposite direction (there is a wall on the other side). Sometimes you think you may escape it then you hear the kerb polish :)It is like at the dentist. I think I saw some ads about rim protectors from evannex but they are in US. I'll look into it as it sounds as a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Ya ive scuffed them up loads of times, on my previous car id maybe done it once in 6+ years of ownership. I did consider the plastic protectors, but they look stupid. Its a shame the horrid aero covers dont protect them either, I might consider leaving them on if they did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

We got the first scuff on the second day of ownership and they just keep on appearing. I'm planning to get the wheels refurbed come the new tyre time and will definitely shop for tyres with rim protection.

Like some we never picked any wheel damage on previous cars but something about the tyre profile makes it an endemic with the Model 3. The camera view also, in my opinion, exaggerates the space between the kerb and the rear wheel.

Excuses, excuses I know.

US design, big roads, big parking spaces

It's not so much a problem with the overall wheel design, rather a function of the tyre design. I'm assuming you are all running the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's that came with the car (at least I assume they still do).

Im now running Dunlop Sport Maxx (don't get a choice with the leasing company) and they have 'rim protectors built into the tyre, you’ll enjoy greater protection against curb damage'.

'Rim Protection' as a 'feature' is just marketing BS speak for the side of the tyre protruding out slightly over the rim. The P4s dont (or at least very little).

Im certainly suffering less curb rash since the changeover, but P4s are a better handling tyre when driving hard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

Only 11cm narrower than the Model S. Likes of Zoe tiny, 12cm narrower than the Model 3 or 23cm narrower than the Model S.

It feels so much smaller. Big difference in my garden parking after selling the S for the 3. Especially when herself has a 5 series!

I didn’t realise it’s only 110mm narrower?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Speaking of parking I've experienced the first lateral auto park. I even forgot I have this function now and I was about to park when I saw the P on the screen and decided to let it do its thing. TBH I would have done a better job as it was quite away from the kerb. The driving wheel moves "violently" left to right. Quite opposite of what I've been taught. Or maybe I'm not used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭s8n

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Hi all,

Has anyone wrapped their M3 and if so where and how much did it cost?

Does it add much in terms of additional protection?

Thanks,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I haven't wrapped mine, but have seen lots of them wrapped in the flesh and in the facebook group, and they look fantastic.

I've seen prices of in or around the €2k mark.

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭odoliam

I found an app called Tasker, which for a one-of fee, about €4 I think, will automatically turn on my hotspot when the phone connects to the car's bluetooth. And again turns off when disconnecting.

Works well so far. Missing on sat maps, which I don't use and traffic visualisation which where I live is 99% no use...oh and live sentry...mostly a gimmick for me

• Advertisement

A traditional Vinyl Wrap is not designed to add protection but it will give some additional protection as it’s an additional layer.

Will a door ding still occur, yes.

Will a stone chip still occur, yes.

The wrap will help but it won’t stop the worse.

Anyway, I’m still toying with wrapping my car. I got prices ranging from 1500-2500 for the model S in Nardo Grey last year from a few Dublin based placed and more recently, a Model 3 price of €1300 from LM Autostyling in Waterford.

I’m using a guy in Dublin 15 at the moment to dechrome the M3, Wrap-It Design. He done my last Model S so I will price a full wrap from him too.

Post edited by Gumbo on

Advertisement