Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ronnie reminds me of Federer when you think of snooker: “oh, this is how you play the game.”

the smoothest, most natural and effortless player ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I feel like we've seen a generation of the GOAT sportstars and I don't see them being bested.

Federer/Nadal/Djockovic, Woods, Ronaldo/Messi, Ronnie, Jordan/James, Tyson, Phelps, Bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I was thinking of adding him but left F1 and darts out of the conversation...haha

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

"He was hugging for too long!"

"He could have taken a moment out of his speech to do a testimonial bit for Hendry!"

Man, some ABRs are an odd breed. Must have been like trawling through the pit at an Oasis gig for some of them, having to sit through matches where the crowd were vocally supporting somebody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

The post World Championship blues setting in now, feel like I'm entitled to a day off work to recover...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tyson! WTF

But yeah Ronnie has a few records that probably won't be broken. The 147 wont anyway. Probably titles too as players arent 16 when they turn pro anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

Yes semis for the oldies is pretty impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Does Ronnie Junior play do we know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

with himself (he's at that age)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

I saw Neal Foulds doing a piece I think during the semi final and Paul Hunter was mentioned and he got all choked up and couldn't speak. Obviously Hunter's death was tragic but was there a particular connection between him and Foulds?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Stephen Cluxton? I think there will always be other superstars. But I will be honest in 10 years time I think I will be enjoying the World Seniors more than the World Championship. Watching the old rivalries reignited.

From what I read Ronnie said in the past he would call it a day at 50. And do exhibitions etc That is only four years left of trying to break his own records.

Obviously he could change his mind. But a tipping point will come at some stage soon.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Would have to be a sharp tipping point which I can't see for a few years. Hes better now than he was 20 years ago. He broke John Higgins in the semis to the point Higgins was smashing his cue off the floor. 30 mins of top end safety and then a ridiculous break to win the frame. The Ronnie of earlier years would've done something wild to speed things up.

Seeing him in tears last night was unique stuff, for all his "dont really care" chat.

Post edited by The Nal on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Looking back at a recap of the scoring… O’Sullivan winning five on the bounce in both session one and two, two gigantic knockouts there… nobody was recovering from that….Trump routed to his seat…confidence waning…18-13 is not a hammering but certainly a comfortable and comprehensive victory….. not a final that will live long in the memory for the neutral as the result was never in doubt…at any junction the final.

watched though his interview for a second time the criticism of his fellow pros and up and coming snooker players. Thought of it initially as Ronnie just being controversial and somewhat true to his acerbic personality maybe trying to give a gee up to them but his choice of phrasing, demeanour, actually sneering and looking down on people, young players who’d look up to him … absolutely appalling considering what he’s achieved and his status in the game. Just completely passive aggressive and arrogant….

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I definitely think the whole "I don't really care, mate" schtick is a defense mechanism for Ronnie.

He doesn't strike me as the most mentally robust (if I can put it that way), and one of the other players/commentators was pointing out over the weekend that a snooker table is a very lonely, pressurised place - you've no trainer, or corner man, or partner that you can talk to or bounce off - it's just you and your head and the pressure of the situation. And there was huge pressure on Ronnie in that final.

If his devil-may-care act is what gets him through it, and playing snooker like that, then away with him as far as I'm concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

I would agree with this. It is clear from the way he plays that he was really trying to apply himself and stay concentrated throughout the tournament.

The frame he won from behind on the respotted black was a clear example. In prior years he may not have had the patience to win that frame. That really seemed to knock Higgins at the time.

Yeah whatever works for the fella. I was thinking that in those 21 years since he won his first WC. He has basically averaged one every three years. That is some consistency. I never would have believed it, not from Ronnie anyway. As he has said himself he is 'up and down like a whore's drawers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

The main blemish on O'Sullivan's victory for me was the incident with the referee in the first session. Pretty disappointing and I think O'Sullivan crossed a line there, it was quite an unpleasant moment. Although I think the seriousness of it has been exaggerated, it was more of an emotional outburst than anything deliberately malicious.

Although the incident didn't surprise me, the more O'Sullivan wants to win, the more volatile he seems to become. I think his relaxed attitude to winning is something that he's developed to address just those kinds of situations and emotions which arise as a result of wanting to win too much. I think there's a constant battle in O'Sullivan's mind between wanting to win so badly and not getting emotional when things go wrong, a battle which got the better of him when he was younger, but overall in recent years he's winning.

I actually thought an apology to Olivier Marteel in his post match interview with Hazel would have been nice, he's still got too much pride for that though maybe.

• Advertisement

Absolutely a coping mechanism yeah. Quite a unique life off the table too.

Grew up in a millionaire family, Dad in prison for murder, Mum in prison for tax evasion, attended Alcoholics and Narcotics Anonymous, Grandad at 42, doesnt see his daughter or the grandkid, on/off depression, panic attacks, chronic insomnia, custody battles, decades of therapy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Post edited by frosty123 on

And did anyone defend the referee or pull Ronnie up on this behavior? Not that I am aware of. Shower a hypocrites.

Maybe I missed it, but I heard nothing in defense of the referee.

Referees don't do what that referee did for no good reason, and yet even this wasn't mentioned.

Greatest snooker player ever but one of the worst sports I have come across. Right up there with an 1980s Mac or Serena. Horrible.

But of course, you will have some dismissing and defending his behavior as him being some maverick and genius and character.

Post edited by walshb on

His incessant harping on about it tells me he's full a crap. Can't just give a normal free-flowing interview; there has to be that OTT theatrics and contrivance. Even last night and the "brings out the worst in me." STFU!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I think he was as well. Could have handled it better. Even Judd was annoyed by the way the ref did it. Asking why did he not do it after the frame. I am not sure Marteel will get a final again soon, seemed very edgy.

I think Ronnie's 7 titles are better than Hendry's.

Opposition level better against Ronnie. 4/7 finals wins for Hendry were against sports biggest bottler, Jimmy!

The talent pool that Ronnie had to navigate was just deeper. And his 7 are spread across 21 years vs 9 years for Hendry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yeah it's just a pity Judd wasn't firing on all cylinders.

Would have been a cracking final then and probably bringing out an even better performance from Ronnie.

Ronnie and Judd are my two favourite players so I didn't care which one won.

Probably rather see Ronnie reaching the 7 if I'm honest.

That wasn't the best Judd by a long shot.

Terrible positional and safety play and had to resort to keeping his potting as basic as possible a lot of the time.

I would love to see him up there in the future being a multi title winner like the other lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Agree with most of this...but Hendry beat Ronnie on his way to two of his seven.

Advertisement