Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Murray for all his moaning and groaning on the court seems to be one of the most encouraging players off the court. Remember he took Kyrgios under his wing when he first came on the tour and the work he does to bring on British players by inviting them to join him on his pre-season training camps. I wonder will he go into coaching when he finishes or will he be one of those part time coaches like Edberg, Lendl or Becker (when he gets out of jail.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Would be fun seeing him trying to channel his unique brand of "high-energy" Scottish optimism into a coaching set-up!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Always seemed like a nice enough guy who maxed out his abilities, best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Madrid organisers won’t be winning any awards. The Djokovic and monfils match only got four games before it was suspended at 2-2 and the Pegula - andreescu match was suspended while it was raining and they’re doing a job to get the court fixed.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

• Advertisement

Yet another ATP record for Djokovic

Longest win-streak against a player on the ATP

First player to achieve an 18 match win streak against another player

Monfils is the unfortunate person on the other side of the stat

To rub salt into the wound it also reads 18-0

Djokovic's game still coming together but looking focused and zoned-in - some particularly nice trademark backhand placements

Crisp forehands also

Serve still not at its best but improvement shown there also

That win keeps him at world No.1 until Sunday next week at least

It’s great to see. He came back on court 2-2 after an interruption and then kicked on and won the first set 6-3 and then 6-2 in the second set.

Djokovic plays the winner of Andy Murray and Denis Shapovalov which is one later today. I see jack Draper lost in three sets which is surprising as when I briefly checked in around 1pm he was 1 set all and was up 3-1 or 3-2 in the final set I think it was. Seems he let it slip from what it’s saying on the ATP site.

Monfils showed game in the match but on the big points he was simply not at the races

The lack of ability to be able to produce focus at the crucial moments that has plagued him over his entire career

Death, taxes and Djokovic beating Monfils.

• Advertisement

Jill Teichmann is through to the quarters after a straight sets win over Rybakina and she looked very comfortable doing it. She plays the winner of raducanu and kalinina which is on now.

One set each in the raducanu match after having a MTO between set 1 and 2 and it was night and day.

So the plethora of "I'm back" headlines return to storage for Raducanu

Furthest ever run at a Masters 1000 for the 25-year old Kalinina making it to a 1/4 final

For Raducanu, the sort of game that she has should be most suited to clay really and the centre where she trained since a kid in the UK has 5 clay courts so it's not a new surface to her

it was a clumsy third set though. Kalinina went 3-1 up and then forgot how to play. That winner to go 5-4 up was the end of it.

Disappointing Raducanu couldn't go further, particularly with a very favourable draw. But not a bad tournament for someone playing their second ever professional clay tournament on their first full year on tour 🤷

Hoping Halep takes the title now, I feel all she needs is a couple of deep runs and a bit of confidence to get back on top form.

only saw the end of it - Kalinina is not a very convincing player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dublin49

the lack of fans at Murray v Shapovalov is surprising ,I would have thought this would be one of the juicier matches today .

Well I suppose it is quarter to midnight on a Tuesday night in Madrid. Didn't pay attention to the schedule today but quite weird to put a match like this on so late.

Murray's current form considered, this would be a poor loss for Shapovalov if he can't get past him.

So Murray-Djokovic it is in the next round. Didn't even know the were on a collision course. Even in spite of Djokovic's um... interesting start to 2022, I can't see him being too troubled by Murray.

Djokovic - Murray will be on Thursday.

Murray will be totally up for that

"Original" Murray only managed to beat Djokovic once ever on clay though out of 6 occasions

Djokovic's 2nd-serve is a bit of a low-point in his game but the rest of it looked fairly solid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 thiagos

It was her 2nd ever wta clay tournament. Try harder mate.

There's always an excuse for Raducanu over the last 8 months for every defeat

Another injury being blamed now I see in the aftermath of going out to that ITF career player

She has been playing on clay courts since she was a small child - that's the fact of it

Haha she went out to the world number 37. Raducanu has had an incredible year shes 19 , dont get the hate she gets on here. Her career can literally already be deemed a success.

She has had 137 matches as a pro. 6 being on clay. Thats fact of it. Successful week for her.

Think there's also a difference between practice courts and, you know, professional tournaments.

it's just excuses for Raducanu - one after the other ad nauseum

She's playing on a surface that she's familiar with probably nearly 15 years, not on the moon for the first time!

Even Raducanu said that she thinks that it will be her best surface

It's her third competition in a row playing clay and she actually hit a 2-match win streak in successive weeks on the surface - which is much better than she has managed all year

but now it's another excuse!

I remember the very same for Sofia Kenin - a long list that went on and on after her losses after winning a slam

Shes been injured for 2 months hahaha. And was injured for 6 months last year. You are absolutely clueless, do you follow womens tennis? Or is it just to criticize Raducanu every week? And you dont believe in injuries? Just call them excuses?Why is it an injury when Djockovic is carrying something then?

Speaking of Kenin, she's currently recovering from her second surgery inside the last 15 months or so.

Although probably faking the surgeries to cover up her poor form!

• Advertisement

Kenin lost how many matches immediately right after her slam in 2020 without the help of any injuries or surgeries?

It was Raducan'tdu like

well before any injuries - nothing to do with it

just look at the record

however don't see Raducanu having any chance of making a second final like Kenin actually did 9 months later in the delayed French Open

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Advertisement