Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ronnie arguably playing as good, if not better now than years ago.

Age seems to be no real decliner for him. He still must have the keen eyesight.

He just is at home when playing. He could well win no more, or 5-6 more. I cannot see any skills reason why he cannot win more.

Yes, that he did. I think Ronnie trounced Stephen in one semi final as well, not sure the year, but 17-4 rings a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭blade1

That was a different Ronnie back then.

If he had his head screwed on he would have double what he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

I agree. But that's part of being the greatest...having your head screwed on. And I'm still not sure that the more composed Ronnie would beat hendry in his peak days.

• Advertisement

Although I believe Ronnie to be the best natural player ever, I am torn between him, Williams and Higgins all on their best day over 35 frames....

So much to consider (including luck) when wondering who wins...

Higgins was such a steely player, with 0 weaknesses. He could do it all. And what a temperament.

Williams: carefree fearless monster. Potter, break builder, and excellent tactical player

I might ever so slightly bet the house on Williams besting the other two. Maybe Higgins next, and then Ronnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

The fact that O'Sullivan is 7-4 up on Higgins in a tournament format that most would agree suits Higgins says it all...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well I would say the best snooker player is the player who is the best break builder and that's clearly Ronnie.

You could go on records and that would be Ronnie as well, given that he's won more UK's, more Masters, and has made more Centuries that anyone else including Hendry. Oh, and he's won more ranking titles than anyone else as well.

And that's all essentially down to Ronnie being the best break builder. Not just when he's gets in first, but in clearing up to clinch it on the final black. Or even to a re-spot black, as Higgins would be familiar with.

I've a pretty good temperament myself but useless at total clearances. Maybe I've just never gotten lucky. So I wouldn't take temperament or luck into it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

Its ok for Selby or Eldon etc to show emotion, sure it’s passion but suddenly it’s a problem when Ronnie does it. The last crumb of comfort all the Ronnie haters had was that he didn’t hold the record for the most World Championships, he has every record worth having now. He has his flaws but which genius doesn’t.

Higgins and Williams had the same opportunities to win word titles as Ronnie but they couldn’t manage to do it as often. Higgins has contested eight finals and lost four of them but has zero weaknesses apparently. Williams only reached four finals winning three, Ronnie has won seven finals out of eight. No one has to wonder who wins, the history books tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

I can vividly remember seeing O'Sullivans name on a Ceefax page, right at the start of his career. I was interested as he could, with that name, have been a new Irish player. Ceefax didn't say where he was from, so I watched his next match to learn more and I have been a fan of his since.

For me he had all the flair of Alex and Jimmy in the early days, and had more natural talent than Hendry. I like how he has always challenged things, sometimes negatively (character flaws / discipline issues), sometimes positively (changing his game). I think he has retained his natural talent, honed his flair, but most importantly matured into the player he is.

I feel he will not retire until he has another couple of world titles in the bag, and I think he will achieve that. YOu only had to look at the recording of his documentary, the release of the '7th' merchandise today, how proud he is to be #1 again, alongside the achievement itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Snooker is in a bad place really. Thank god we have the oldies playing so well.

Trump and Yan are the only two non oldies I rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Well that just shows exactly how much you know about snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Fair play to Ronnie. In regards of winning 7, you'd have to question the standard of the game for a long while. I think it's improved in the last 2 or 3 years, but very weak generally since circa 05. Picked up several handy world titles against the likes of Dott etc also rans. Higgins benefitted too

Interesting one: of all the crucible finals, what winner (year) would you choose to have the best chance beating all the other winners (years)?

A few stand out for me: Higgins 1998, Davis 1989, Johnson 1986, Hendry 1993, Williams 2003 and Ronnie 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Although Ronnie's win over Dott was in 2004. i.e. before 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Joe Johnson in exalted company there. He hit a patch in 86 and 87 and did beat peak Davis easily, but somehow I'd not expect him to live with the others.

I think Ronnie today would be right up near or at the top during any era/time. The talent today is the best today, and he’s the best

Agreed. There are more players globally now than ever. Chinese players galore, and all playing to a top standard.

Inspiration for taking up the sport has been seeing a steady growth for the past 20 years or so and I've no doubt that competing professionally with the amount of good quality players you have today is immeasurably harder than it was 10 or 20 years ago.

Ronnie is one of a kind and definitely the superstar of his generation. And still going strong.

Snooker peaked around ten or fifteen years ago.

Go have a look at the 2011 championship draw. The only new player to come through in 11 years is Yan. But back then you also had outsiders who were decent such as Allen, Maguire, Dott, Carter, Ding, Stevens who are all declined massively since then.

Even Ronnie says the players coming through are rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

It's a declining game. Figures on growth are skewed because of China yet the players aren't coming through.

Lisowski and Wilson are seen as the ones coming through yet they're 30..

Mark Selby is 38 and has 4 World titles. If players are playing to 50 at a high level then Selby has 12 years to win more titles. He could get 7. Higgins lost three finals in a row just a few years ago so he could have had 7.

Trump is 32. He's got another 15 years.

Why is it that every single thread you participate in you have to cause friction. Numerous threads where you make a point of rubbing people up the wrong way. Barred from the 'Russia' thread and warned in others. Your post history is very disturbing and should be recommended reading for any Boardsies before they enter conversation with you.

My opinion is that professional snooker is more competitive and it's harder to win tournaments these days as the standard is higher. This is based on facts, not assumptions.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion as well... even if it's wrong.

@Pussyhands - Snooker peaked around ten or fifteen years ago.

Maybe it "peaked" then but you have a lot more depth to the game these days. Check out the numerous good quality professional Chinese players now, and other parts of Asia. How many were there 20 or 30 years ago? People took up snooker many years ago as the glamour appealed to them (the money was abysmal). These days it's for the money as the sport is awash with it. Hence you've a lot more honing their skills and turning professional.

@Pussyhands - Go have a look at the 2011 championship draw. The only new player to come through in 11 years is Yan.

2011??? Totally irrelevant.

There are 128 players on the World Snooker Tour and it's testament to the strength and quality of most of those players that not many new players are able to break through. Not for any bizarre reason you've thought up. Outside of those 128 there are thousands bubbling under.

@Pussyhands - Even Ronnie says the players coming through are rubbish.

Ronnie says a lot of things. He's always been outspoken. None of the other professional players supported him in that statement, and many rebuked it so that tells you everything. A lot of players such as Higgins, Maguire, and ex-players such as Davis and Parrott have all previously remarked on how tough the competition is these days. But of course you know better.

Now don't bother replying to me as I'm not interested in your drivel. Go and bother someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

After losing to Ronnie in a final, Doty went on to become world champion.

I wish I was an also ran like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

The standard is higher now than 15 years ago because there are far more tournaments and top players are generally sharper. They had become part time players between the mid 00's and early 10's. The standard in that era was down a bit on the turn of the millenium. The lack of tournaments I think sped up the decline of certain players like Hendry and Doherty. Even with that I think O'Sullivan has been a pioneer in longevity and maintaining a high standard which has been followed by Higgins and Williams who both looked on the way out around 2014 but have come back strong.

The downside is that it's left Snooker with a fairly static top 16. Looking at this years seeds there were eight of them who have seeds at every World Championship in the last decade and that doesn't include the likes of Williams or Bingham who have been all but one or two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Williams in 2003 is the higest level of snooker we've ever seen. Won every televised tournament, These days, he win's in two visits, in his prime was a robot. Due to his exceptional unortabox ability to pot anything, anywhere on the table, consistently, means he generally got in first and dominated. Had he bothered, hit a level no other player reached. Can do what even O'Sullivan couldn't.

Higgins in 82 worth a mention. Never a raw talent comparable since. Did things others aren't capable off, consistently. Couldnt hit a century, cued wrong, jutted the ball, rushed tactical and safety play, ran out of position ever single shot, under the influence, but his game was built on an uncanny inate ability, to pot himself out of the continual holes he dug himself. Every frame he won, consisted of raw pots many would consider their best shot of a championship. Piss poor all round player, but never a person who could pot the impossible like him. You want a man to pot an impossible shot to save your life, Higgins was the man for the job. Pure raw talent!

I thought Shaun Murphy's 2005 Final display was up there for near unbeatable!

You have no clue of the reason I'm barred from the Russia thread.

Isn't it a bit ironic, that I have the same views and opinions in the Ukraine thread in the politics sub that has higher posting standards than the current affairs forum yet guess which thread I am barred from.

I've participated in this thread for a long time and no one else had problems with me until now.

Causing friction my arse. It's called having different opinions ffs.

I suppose anyone who didn't want Ronnie to win is causing friction too. Or anyone who thinks Ronnie is a tool is causing friction?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Advertisement

If players are playing into their 50s at the top then I can see Selby reaching 7.

Advertisement