Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB card reader

• 03-05-2022 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭

I am one of those dumba$$es who responded to a text from a smisher and my reward has been to receive the AIB card reader free in the post.

Now I see from a quick google that this machine can be unpopular with more than a few people ,so I don't so much want opinions on that score as help as to operate it if I decide that I need to use it at all.

I can see that it is not designed to be used online and that is the first thing that confuses me (I imagine that is its strong point to be fair)

So is there a step by baby step guide to using this thing?

A specific example might get the ball rolling

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've only had to use it when transferring money from my account to another account be it an Irish or International account. Basically it will ask you onscreen to insert your ATM card in to the reader, you then enter various codes and put the responses in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Glaceon

As @Atlantic Dawn said, you'll usually only need it if you're transferring money to an account which you haven't sent to before. It asks you to enter the card, put in your PIN and then the amount you're transferring. The reader returns a code which you enter to validate the transaction. You probably won't need it much but you'll be glad to have it when you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭amandstu

Thanks both

You have cleared it up.

Yes it might well come in handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Another tip is you can actually use anyone elses reader too, doesn't have to be the one posted to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Yeah it's use is I frequent. You need it as above and changing address.

It's good to have. The tech is a little old as I think they were designed about 10 years ago, but it's good to have an extra layer of security (although I did prefer the even older code cards as I could carry them about in my wallet, but they were obviously much less secure..).

• Advertisement

I think the big issue with the code cards was that the phishers caught on to them and started asking for all codes from the card!

Yeah I'd say so lol, so many attack vectors.. but damn convenient if you weren't going to give them all over the phone.

AIB sent me that email "don't put your credit card in a taxi".. I want to meet the person that does that.

2nd/3rd screen.. clearly not the bank, look at the address and also, just never ever click links or buttons that are sent to you unexpectedly.

The only reason I can think of to click a "link" is two factor auth. But that will be within a few seconds of a purchase!

Sorry, don't mean to sound preach-y just reiterating the message because it's easy to mis click (but please don't ever out s card in a taxi 🙏! - I was being a little tounge in cheek above, I know how these guys can sound convincing and especially when the panic levels are ramped up)

Advertisement