Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The GAAS market was saturated 5 years before avengers came out. It was so late to the party that the next big thing, battle royale, was saturated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wonder what the next genre will be, spawning emulation as far as the eye can see. Obviously tea leaves stuff but it sometimes feels completely random; rhythm games, battle royales, MMORPGs, Souls-likes deck builders or survival games (to take the indie space)... you'd do well to find a common thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wordle?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And yet there’s the irony that Square has made one of the only post-WoW MMORPGs to actually become a cultural phenomenon in the last ten years. Their runaway success with FF14 - and the resources they pumped in to fix it after a terrible launch - makes their fumbled GAAS efforts even more ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To be honest though, FF14 was almost an Avengers level disaster. They were just lucky they took a 'FromSoftware with Miyazaki' level hail mary with Naoki Yoshida that worked out spectacularly.

By the time it releases they could've just made a new installment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

If they can get Prince of Persia and Beyond Good and Evil 2 out within a few weeks of each other, 2037 could be a great year for Ubi.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ubisoft Mumbai and Pune were getting a big push so seems that didn't work out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,595 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They ballsed themselves up by calling it a remake. If they'd called it a remaster people probably would have accepted the way it looked in the initial trailer, but you call it a remake and it's supposed to be built pretty much from the ground up, and it didn't look anywhere near that quality.

Missed the Battle Royale gravy train? No fear - just bring out your BR game but call it Battle Royale 2.0 !

Interested to see Blomkamp's involvement/influence though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Be careful, Neil: They already made a Battle Royale 2, and it was shite 😅

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Blomkamp increasingly feels like a man far beyond his 15 minutes. A great production designer of that dirty- hi-tech style but that's about it. District 9 feels like a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Blomkamp,

M. Night Shyamalan

He's probably better suited to video games, tbh. A medium where story matters a lot less than style, which is his strength.

I don't think there's anyone in film or entertainment whose name still carries so much weight on the back of one alright film from nearly 15 years ago.

The film he released last year may as well not exist, and he's done well to still be making films post-Chappie (although to be fair the amount of cancelled projects he has accumulated does suggest it hasn't been smooth sailing). Yet his name still pops up regularly, despite the shortage of good films to his name.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Even moreso with a battle royale game where story is even less relevant to the action.

Great to see the FTC finally getting some teeth and examining these endless acquisitions from the big players. It may not lead anywhere in this initial round of probes, but more scrutiny is needed with this worrying trend of consolidation.

The Game Pass streaming stick and TV app is imminent within the next year: https://venturebeat.com/2022/05/06/xbox-streaming-stick-when/

There's got to be huge doubts about a TV being up to the task of streaming games. You've also got to wonder what the target audience is. Playing Xbox games in a hotel is about the only use case I can think of.

They're also working on allowing you to play all your owned games on the cloud.

• Advertisement

If your internet can stream at 4K and you've good internet then I don't see any technical issues there. Game Pass was always going this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can't see it working well enough for twitch based online games, but would be handy if someone has the network availability. Saying that though, even the article admits it, the consoles are still the best way to experience gaming. I don't see that changing anytime soon. We're a couple of gens off from that being good enough quality to drop the hardware, imo.

It's the same with movies, streaming 4K isn't 4K, and to get the proper 4K you need a 4K BR and 4K player. Thankfully I'm not into my movies as much anymore, so the pixelation/artifacting (don't know the proper name for it) in every single scene with black in it during streaming doesn't get to me as much as it would in gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is that I've been waiting for tbh, wanting to get an xbox for gamepass bit happy though to wait for the tv stick. Very interested to see how this plays but i get about 300mbs internet so would definitely give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I play on my phone sitting out the back, chrome cast / Chromecast with Google tv in the sitting room or bed room. It might not be like being on the console but it's pretty close. For a €60 device that also has IPTV, Netflix, Disney plus and prime. It's decent.

If it's 'good enough' most people won't mind. And people put up with garbage framerates and input latency in deferred renderer games during the PS360 era while saying 60 FPS was inferior to a 'cinematic' experience. It's only a matter of time before a streaming service takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

You can see what it's like now by trying it on a phone. A tv stick will be identical but on a larger screen.

My experience on 1GB fibre is that the input lag isn't as bad as you'd expect so all but the most twitchy games are playable, but the video compression and picture quality is absolutely awful and makes it hard to live with. It feels like we're still many years away from it being comparable to the console experience (and by the time it is we'll probably have new more powerful consoles pushing 8k video that the streaming service can't keep up with)

Didn't Microsoft have a hire purchase type thing on console + xbox live before for the 360 I think? For me that makes much more sense than buying a stick. They could offer something 15 quid a month for gamepass and you buy your own hardware, or 20 quid a month for gamepass and a free Series S on a 3 year contract, similar to how phones are typically sold.

I played Heavenly Sword via PSNow streaming and for the duration of the game I think it may have stuttered a couple of times and disconnected once or twice. I do have SIRO though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tedajone

The PVE playing method of the Overwatch 2 generation will include two forms: plot battle and hero task. Compared with the dry "action files" of the first generation, the new PVE not only lengthens the game flow, and the map size is more than twice that of the first generation, but also designs three sets of talent trees with different preferences for each hero.

Exactly.

Myself and a buddy were trying out multiplayer games on the cloud because it was more convenient than downloading a massive file only to find we didn't like it. It's super convenient and if I didn't know better I would swear I was playing it from the console.

Plus I've played game pass on my phone over the cellular network and I thought it was perfectly fine, and xCloud is still in beta. Imagine how good it will get over the next 5-10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

Would it be much different to cloud gaming on gamepass? This could be as big as the wii in terms of entry level gaming, stadia has shown there is a market for casuals but throw gamepass on top with ea sports games etc it's a no brainer for casuals.

Advertisement