Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Tom Clonan was on RTE News this evening pointing out that that Kremlin TV nut was effectively talking b*****ks and he doubts they have the capacity to launch even one of their undersea missiles. He also said the idea that they could set off a super tsunami with a single missile is beyond laughable, they would need thousands of them...they've been watching too many James Bond movies. Spoofers and playground school bullies, that's what we're dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Oh I can play this one: Or humans are the problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Putin could simply respond with, "If you nuke me, I will nuke you and everyone else. You have a few nukes, but I have thousands."

Maybe a nuclear threat from Ukraine would genuinely be the quickest way to get Russia out of Ukraine, but there's no way any western nation will roll the dice on providing them, for the same reasons NATO is not currently prepared to directly engage Russian forces.

Yeah, I've been doing more reading on the feasibility of 'tsunami bomb' since my post about it the other day, and it looks like the idea is probably hot air. Or super-heated water vapour, more accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Economics101

Don't ban the rallies, even though they are way beyond obnoxious. Two reasons: one, they are against our hopefully liberal principles which is to tolerate freedom of expression unless there is a pretty direct threat of violence; two, any such ban will be used by the Kremlin as "evidence" of Western suppression of "anti Nazi" political opinion.

We are bigger than these goons.

• Advertisement

"General Staff of Ukraine: Russian army prepares evacuation of families of officers in Transnistria"

There seems to be a lot of attacks on the power grid and internet in the western part of Ukraine right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If Ukraine somehow got a few nuclear weapons, and if the gave Russia a 24 hour ultimatium that Moscow and St. Petersburg would be obliterated unless Russia withdrew, then Ukraine would 100% be obliterated by Russia's nuclear weapons before that 24 hour period was up. Any country with a nuclear arsenal has it as the first point on their nuclear doctrine that they will use the weapons against anyone who threatens them with nuclear weapons. This is just a fact. Ukraine can have all the ethical justification in the world to actively protect themselves in such a way, but the cold reality is that it would result in their nuclear obliteration, and almost certainly an escalation to global nuclear conflict. There is no way that Russia would back down to that threat. The entire point of having a nuclear arsenal is that you're willing to use it in exactly this scenario, and there is absolutely no reason to think that Russia are not willing to do so.

The good news is that none of this is going to happen. No-one is going to give or station nuclear weapons in Ukraine while this war is ongoing. It would be an insane thing to do. It doesn't matter how ethically justified it might be, or how wrong and evil Russia are. The realities of the situation, and the inevitable outcomes, have to be taken into account. Would the worst Pyrrhic victory of all history be worth it? Almost any reasonable person would say no.

One could make a good argument that Ukraine would not have been invaded in the first place if they had kept their nuclear weapons from the breakup of the Soviet Union. However, that ship has sailed. Maybe there'll be a chance again to revisit that after this war, but that will entirely depend on how it ends and what strength is left in Russia when it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Putin has been telling all of Russia and the world that part of the reason for his invasion is that Ukraine has ballistic missiles, as well as "Nazi's" So he couldn't exactly blame that on the West if it were suddenly to become common knowledge that they do in fact have nukes.

If they were smuggled in to secret locations all over Ukraine, set up, then a discreet "leaking" of their possession of these... perhaps Zelensky and a few of his commanders pictured with them, then plastered all over the internet. Hell, they could even set one off in a remote part of Ukraine as a warning.

It doesn't matter that Putin has thousands of nukes. The majority probably are not active or don't work. But that's besides the point. What it boils down to is would Putin be willing to take the risk that Moscow and St.Petersburg would be obliterated from the map, at the expense of continuing his futile and irrational war?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Whatever about Parkinson's and cancer, the idea that Putin has schizoaffective disorder is ludicrous. It a very serious and debilitating mental health condition that impacts every aspect of the sufferer's life. People with schizoaffective disorder would have great difficulty holding down a regular job and functioning in normal society, let along running an entire country for 22 years.

• Advertisement

Very well put, Gregor, but rather contradictory...

@Gregor Samsa - Any country with a nuclear arsenal has it as the first point on their nuclear doctrine that they will use the weapons against anyone who threatens them with nuclear weapons.

Russia HAS threatened using nuclear weapons. Several times.

So by your logic Ukraine has every right to reciprocate that threat, or even use them... as per your above quote. As do all the Western powers.

If there's no threat in return then he's just going to carry on. And I believe it will escalate more and more and more, until the time comes when Putin has nothing left to fight with, and then we'll see nuclear fireworks, regardless.

When it comes to using nukes, the doctrine of any right-thinking Western nation has to be one of surety, or as close to surety as you can get. So no moves would be made on the possibility that most of Russia's nukes are not in working order or that Putin may blink if faced with a nuclear threat from Ukraine.

It would never happen that the West provides Ukraine with nuclear weapons to use, anyway. NATO forces entering Ukraine from the West to enforce a red line I would see as being infinitely more probable, but even that's currently pretty remote.

I'd like to reiterate that the sole purpose of the supplying nuclear weapons to Ukraine idea was as a deterrent against the Horde getting desperate and thinking the could get a win just by nuking Kyiv, with negligible consequences, which unfortunately they are likely right about.

These should absolutely not be used to threaten the Horde with get out of Ukraine, or else... And the possession of them should be kept secret from the public, but with a enough of a leaking that Putrid is let in on the secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

All the threats I've seen made out of Russia so far have been implied threats from the Kremlin, i.e. 'there will be... consequences... for those who help Ukraine...' and crowing from loudmouths on Russian state TV, but I haven't seen a direct threat of nuclear attack from the Kremlin, nor from the Whitehouse for that matter. They go right up to the line, but they know the incredible seriousness of a direct threat, with agency, in direct language.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Yeah thats what thefukking hell was about. What a senseless war.....such a waste of life on all sides.

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

True, but it's the threat that counts

It could be crewed by "Ukrainian passport holders"

I like the idea, it's out there somewhere and all arranged off Ukrainian soil

I don't see Putin nuking Kyiv as a possibility. Even leaving aside the madness of using nuclear weapons offensively, Kyiv is seen as the second city of the Slavic world. If he's going to have that city, he'll want to have it intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

The generals are looking for results of the grand offensive.

• Advertisement

Then you've more confidence in Putin's mindset than most.

It's my belief that he'll do absolutely anything to secure his aims, whatever they may be. And when his war machine stutters then eventually breaks down, as it inevitably will due to accumulated vehicle, machinery and equipment losses, he'll revert to chemical or nuclear threats - which I believe he'll carry out if he doesn't get what he wants. He doesn't strike me as the sort to worry about Kyiv being the second city of the Slavic world, and he also doesn't care who he hurts, tortures or kills. As with all the assassinations he's ordered, he wants to get his own way regardless of the cost.

Other countries are going to be targeted by him as well. Things are only going to escalate, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 54,183 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Russia energy is getting more expensive by the day if it's now going to be priced in Rubles. No wonder Putin is so eager for the west to have to use the Ruble to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Very possible.

Though they are having a hard enough time with the Ukraine, I don't see them starting on NATO any time soon. Even if he goes full Zapp Branigan and orders the mobilisation, that's a lot of Russian youth that are gonna die.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's not real pricing because it's not publicly traded.

Means nothing if your inflation is sky rocketing and you can't buy anything outside your country (and what you can buy now costs you more) and money coming in to the country is dwindling with every passing day

At this stage it's like monopoly money

Men and boys are among the alleged victims of rape by Russian soldiers in Ukraine, where dozens of cases of sexual violence by the invading forces are already under investigation, UN and Ukrainian officials said on Tuesday.

The depravity continues

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Advertisement

Wouldn't surprise me - Hungary or rather those in power have been sticking the middle finger to the EU for a while now. If there is any element of truth to this they should be kicked out

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement