Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Supreme Court to overturn Roe vs Wade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

Some states allow(ed) for unrestricted abortion with no term limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The way the opinion is written means that practically every right that wasn't there when the constitution was written would be fair game when the Right are in power.

The worrying thing is that there are prominent progressive 'Bernie bro' types out there blaming the Democrats for this and claiming they won't vote for them again. Likely a reaction in part to cover up for how many of them set the ball rolling for this situation in 2016 and now rather than realising their error they're doubling down to watch what they claim to care about burn (which isn't too tough for them as many won't actually be personally impacted by it).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

When you have to resort to the dictionary as an attack, you are not on to a winner.

Abortion has been a festering social issue in the States for decades, one that the political system has failed to tackle and one where both sides have used legal trickery and activist judges to get one over the other, making each bend to their will. The US needs to grasp this finally and deal with it head on and it needs the space to do it. It doesn't need every wannabe American sticking their oar in, much like we didn't need it when we debated the issue.

If this gets overturned, America needs to make laws that have a broad buy in and that may mean letting states do their own thing. It's something that should have been done 50 years ago.

The last thing the rest of the world needs is a USA further mired in division.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

It is very naïve to believe that a group that believes that babies are being murdered are going to allow it to happen in some states when they'd have the power to ban it everywhere.

Even if they don't many states are already under minority rule due to gerrymandering and voter suppression - there is never going to 'broad buy-in' on the state level, forget about on a national basis

• Advertisement

I supported Bernie in that primary; IIRC there were media reports of very strange goings on in the Democratic primary process, to tilt the result in favor of DNC figurehead Hillary, and away from Sanders who, technically is not a Democrat whatsoever but an Independent who frequently canvasses with Democrats in the Senate.

I agree with you this is the wrong thing to focus on or re-litigate for the progressive left. They frankly overstate, in many states for example, whether our votes meant anything at all. You could support an inanimate carbon rod, and all your friends could, but if it's not the GOP candidate, it's not getting elected to a South Carolina state level appointment. There are plenty of other post-mortems of the 2016 election, but I think it's fair to say that calling out 'bernistas' etc. as the reason why Hillary couldn't win without campaigning in several important battleground states, is missing a lot of key points.

Those are people going through the Anger stage. I get it. I even recall writing a post in the 2016 election thread, or Scalia's death thread, etc. where I had went and listed out every Justice in the past century, chronologged their tenures on the bench, and how that Hillary becoming POTUS would mean that, for the first time in more than a generation, there would be a majority of members on the Court who were not picked by Republicans, for a change. As I stated at the time, it would probably be a whole other generation before another such opportunity occured. And then they got not 2, but 3 seats filled. We know how it happened, most of us, because we have seen it 'happening' for years like a really slow car wreck or one of those bullet time scenes in an X-men movie. They're barking up the whole ass wrong tree there.

I'm flummoxed that you would see the dictionary as an "Attack," in response to a Semantic argument you yourself were making.

The Obamas call for broad political activation and protests nationwide

https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/1521569658960240642?s=20&t=_E8lZ4nB9pA1dMAMkFg_eA

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I look forward to the propagandists on RTÉ continuing to refer to the US president as The Leader of the Free World™.

I'm flummoxed about why you are posting so much on the finer points of US abortion law on an Irish website, yet here we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Ah christ, now folks will have to take responsibility for their actions :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

America ruined by religious fukwits. Hopefully protests will stop it.

Have to laugh at all the Irish anti-choicers celebrating it 😂 Nothing has changed here....you'll just have to mind your own business (unless you are a woman and then it's your choice)

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

If that's your issue, you'll have to PM me I can't PM you. I tried. It doesn't seem like the topic really. That's the last thing I'll say about your flummox here then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The irony is Ireland went down this same essential path four years ago, i.e. put the regulation of abortion under direct control of elected politicians, and it has had in practical terms the opposite effect to what it is likely to do in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

I think they're allowed to celebrate, well-intentioned, that it may reduce abortion rates, thereby protecting unborn life and all that. Would be reasonable to assume folks even internationally might approve of or cheer on that.

Did you just assume I was homosexual? I'm straight actually however I am happy my gay friend can get married here and can adopt a child should he choose to!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ham Grenade threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 13,894 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

America ruined by religious fuckwits?

America was created by genocidal religious fuckwits.

It's just one of those genocides we deny.

• Advertisement

America ruined by a political system that's refused for over 50 years to legislate properly, instead delegating lawmaking on this issue effectively to the judiciary. That has bred this way of thinking and these mad strategies where well organised minorities can hold sway.

It will be interesting to see if an effective movement mobilises because of this and how much it dominates the US political agenda. There is a lot going on at the moment.

One way or the other, thankfully it is a settled question here.

Was listening to CNN earlier and Warren said get rid of the filibuster, she's dead right its the most un-democratic concept ever! no wonder every other country in the western world doesn't have one...

Dem's had the chance to vote for removing it during the trump era and they should have.

You'll never guess what they're calling this now: "Judicial Insurrection," to leak the draft.

(Hard statement to walk back if the leaker was Republican)

They have the opportunity right now but won't Manchin and Sinema, etc. already nixed that whole idea at the start of this term. It cost the Democrats several months and significant political capital to get nowhere, it only enriched those centrist Senators and made them more popular in their home states - they were getting 'seen,' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭volchitsa

What does "based" mean? I've seen it several times lately.

Or is it a deliberate misspelling of biased? If so, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

This was bound to happen, the court is now a majority of extreme conservatives plus a woman who was brought up in a religious cult .in the next few years there will be cases brought to ban gay marriage and maybe even to put limits on contraception.America will be like ireland in the 70s ,the laws will discriminate in favour of religious rights and against the rights of women and non religious minoritys.the problem is once a legal ruling is made in the supreme court its very hard to challenge it even it favors a religious minority that opposes womens rights .

It's like a Gen Z thing or something.

Kinda like saying "Classic Obamas," on brand, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Thanks for that. I think. (I have to admit that while I thought I -sort of- understood the definition, the examples made it all a bit unclear again. Must be my age!)

Trump surrogates trying to spin this like it's Special Counsel worthy. It's not, they know it, and they even caveat their statements

“What about this marshal invrestigation? Having covered the high court for a few years I can say the Supreme Court marshal investigating you isn’t the sentence that strikes fear into the hearts of men and women,” Kelly said.

“CBS is reporting there may be an FBI investigation into who leaked this. What do you think happens from here? Who do you think actually takes the helm?” Kelly asked.

“The Chief (Justice Roberts) would’ve had the option, perhaps he still will, to appoint a council. A special council. Not in the classical criminal sense but the court can appoint a counsel and bring in a former U.S. attorney or someone with a law background,” Barr said.

“I’m sure he would get the support he needed from the FBI or any other law enforcement agency,” Barr added.

Kelly asked, “What’s the confidence that they can get to the bottom of who leaked it?”

“I think they may need a grand jury to do that, which would mean a criminal case,” Barr said bluntly.

“Wow! Why?” Kelly asked.

“To compel the truth,” Barr responded.

“People would lie to the marshal and maybe not to a prosecutor?” Kelly laughed.

“Perhaps,” Barr said.

“Is this a crime?” Kelly later asked.

“It could be obstructing the administration of justice. The due process of justice,” Barr said.

“That’s a stretch though? No?” Kelly asked.

“Obstruction means you’re attempting to influence through some kind of wrongdoing. I don’t think it’s a stretch, ” Barr concluded.

"Grand Juries" don't 'compel the truth,' a Grand Jury is the first stage of criminal indictment, where a Prosecutor presents their brief to a grand jury, who is instructed to assume that, everything the Prosecutor tells them is 100% true and to consider if a crime has been committed. Only if a Grand Jury passes along an indictment does the defendant get to represent themselves, or challenge the findings.

And his Remarks on a Special Counsel but not in the classic criminal sense, is meaningless, but I'm sure it sounded great on rush-hour talk radio. Special Counsel would be called to investigate high crimes of the white house, because the run the FBI and the DOJ; this investigation they want is investigating the possibility of a crime happening at the supreme court, an entirely separate, 3rd branch of government, which does not hold control over federal investigators in the executive branch.

Concerted efforts in the zeitgeist right now, to accuse Democrats of a crime when we don't even have a perp or a motive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Great news if true. Having done law at college, the US decision in Roe vs Wade was always to me one of the most egegregous acts of judicial activicism that had little do to with actual legal reasoning and more to do with virtue signalling via policy implementation (ref. The laws and ethics of medicene by Prof Keown). Given that Ireland had removed protections from the unborn as part of the convinction of the chattering classes that the unborn are unpeople driven in large part by seeming un-stoppable blood dimmed tide of abortion rights advocacy withs its origin in Roe, perhaps this will mark a point for the Pro-Life in Ireland to be hartened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

The filibuster is there for a reason, as is congress as is the Supreme Court As is the electoral college

together they ensure no one party or one leader can take complete control and the system maintains the Union

i hope the fcuk there are some normal democrats around Biden who can influence him, ending the filibuster, packing the Supreme Court, ending electoral college, going after guns - these crazy notions will see some states looking to secede and form a new union.

this might sound crazy, but America is built on freedom, personal responsibility and belief in God.

many people still believe the state has no business in their private lives. The dems should be careful they don’t start something they will regret

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement