Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

I suspect they simply don't care.. It's like a group of teenagers doing stupid things due to peer pressure or the adrenaline buzz of peer admiration. There's little to no awareness of the wider consequences, and instead, everything is about short-term gratification. It's one of the reasons I think all politicians should be banned from social media..

And I agree. Some of them are very intelligent or smart, so they should be able to see what's happening.. but.. they're the elite of the country, in the same way that farmers used to be the elite. They're removed from the concerns that the rest of us have. After all, their salaries, pensions and other benefits are guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Not all solutions to economic situations like this are austerity. Whatever about the initial cause, adding and adding to the problem is nothing but madness, yet we're continuing to do so. There was a large section of us during covid, people who you mocked and dismissed regularly, who warned about all of this, yet you never listened. Yet here you are again, when the problem has arrived, mocking those who foreseen this problem. A person with a bit of pride and a lack of shamelessness, would sit this one out knowing how wrong they were, yet still you're here acting like an authority, over a problem you helped create.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

What are you talking about?

The majority of the current inflation is caused by energy prices and energy security, which is caused by various factors the main one being the huge war currently taking place in Europe.

Nothing to do with the pandemic.

But again, I would love to hear how you make people better off by drastically reducing spending.

In your own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Isn't there other charities that are funded by the government with house portfolios.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Energy prices were spiralling well before the war. Production has been reduced back during the pandemic and it takes a very long time to bring that energy production back in line. Another example of the consequences of overbearing state interference screwing around with the economy and the damage it does

• Advertisement

It's not just that, though. China. Ahh lovely China. The lockdowns due to covid, and the stuttering of the world supply chains. Delays lead to failures by businesses, who were reliant on the system working smoothly, so that they could keep up to date on their interest payments. Wasn't helped by problems within the economies of the big oil nations, some of whom are also key geographical points of importance for global trade networks. But even before covid, there was a lot of talk about a serious global recession... all of which is compounded (for Ireland) by Brexit, the confusion that went on for years, and that Ireland is an island.

Energy production/costs is just the simplest place to point a finger for what's been happening.. but there's been a lot of issues deferred over the last three (or more) years.

Not to worry though. Proven answer to all of this. Close your eyes, put your hands over your ears, and it'll all pass you by. Eventually.

Unfortunately it is far more complicated than that.

The Saudis and Russans actually flooded the market with oil during the peak of the pandemic which drove prices into the negative.

Prices were always going to increase because they had to, The Saudis and UAE have plenty spare capacity, they are choosing not to use it because of several reasons, one being MBS thinks he shouldn't be scolded internationally for cutting journalists into pieces.

Anyway that has strayed way off topic.

Back to complaining about refugees taking our disused warehouses.

Back to complaining about refugees taking our disused warehouses.

Could you link/quote the poster complaining about refugees taking our disused warehouses? I seem to have missed that.

Go back a few pages, I'm far too classy to name and shame.

It wasn't you by the way if that's what you think.

Nope. I remember what I post. How about giving me the post # then..?

Cause, honestly, I think you're making it up, or reinterpreting what was said.

• Advertisement

with low rates and QE the more asset prices go up like houses, people can borrow more, the goverment can borrow more, having more money for HAP etc, more competition on housing (as goverment buying too) and less supply driving up rents. The goverments solution to a problem is to throw money at it

The higher the rent the higher the Hap threshold, so the more money the tax payer pays. Adding refuges to an already under pressure system is doomed to fail.

Its starts out with them staying in gym's/warehouses but we all know that can't last. They will need to be housed. There is a housing crisis and this government cant fix that.

Anyone know off ha d what the budget is for HAP? With family homes making anything from €1000 to €1500 plus per month , this must be a whopping great tab for the taxpayer to pick up.

If entitled to social welfare that includes HAP surely meaning even more pressure for scarce private rentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Breifne Blue

Not a fiscal conservative at all myself but if we were to calculate all the places taxypayer cash is being wasted currently by the current mob in government/civil servants we would be here a long time.

At some point you'd fear the money will dry up and we will be back in Tiger crash territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭enricoh

E2500 for a 3 bed semi in Balbriggan these days- God bless hap! I didn't look up the more salubrious skerries or malahide in case you get a heart attack! The corporation tax golden goose is being absolutely squandered.

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-castleland-park-way-balbriggan-co-dublin/3707695

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Classic virtue signalling. Makes the world go round I hear :)

Free medical cards what else? I hope they are means tested like any other citizen.

I doubt it. But if you’re an Irish taxpayer, paid taxes all your life to THIS state, they’ll examine you under a microscope and if barely over the thresholds give you sweet eff A.

Then the cheerleaders for this insanity will be crowing on the sidelines about spiralling waiting lists. As they pray they can sit out another Dáil term in “opposition”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Most definitely not. Normal long 12/13 page application compressed into 2 with Medical card application made without any GP stamp required. As the HSE lad said to me in the centre, it was the first time in all his years working with the health service that they were rolled out so quick and efficiently without any checks required.

NDLS drivers licences are being transferred as quickly also with NDLS staff visiting the centres and so long as coloured photocopiers are available those applications are being rolled out also.

And when I think of all the times I tried for my licence to be renewed and the hoops I had to jump through just to get an appointment.

Why would they be? I mean, seriously, most will continue to be supported by the State for months.. so..

Don't get me wrong. I think it's stupid and a middle finger to all Irish people to do this... but logically, if they're going to open the doors to the country to Ukrainians, then they're going to do everything else to make them feel welcome. It's not like the extremely pro-Ukrainian refugee stance is hidden in any way. I doubt this will be the only thing either. Ukrainians are VIPs.. expect a lot more benefits extended to them.

Oh.. and before anything objects, that's not criticism against Ukrainians.. that's criticism against Irish politicians.

• Advertisement

Then the cheerleaders for this insanity will be crowing on the sidelines about spiralling waiting lists. As they pray they can sit out another Dáil term in “opposition”

I doubt it.

Hospital waiting lists in Ireland are far too mundane for these people. Nah.. they'll find something else to complain about.. as will RTE. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a relative extended period where Irish problems (internal like the HSE) are not reported for a while, so that we can focus on more important issues, and not notice the extra strain we're putting on those overworked/underfunded services.

Irish politicians have long passed the time where they place virtue signalling above all else ie actual competent governance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You're right it's actually not hidden. If anyone wants to see how it operates just volunteer at their local reception centre for a week or so. I did it and was actually surprised at how quickly the State, NGOs, semi states etc can pull the finger out when they get the urge whilst the rest of us just get the bureaucracy fcuked at us. If there was a journalist worth their salt they could have an interesting piece, but unfortunately they appear more concerned with the mommy's apple pie fluffy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

HSE staff have been told Ukranians get the priorty.

It's all pretty bizzare. I do get we need to support them but it's almost like the government are intentionally annoying people, not least existing foreign nationals in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

In my opinion giving them the same entitlements as an EU citizen is all well and good , prioritising them to any supports would be all wrong .But it does say they can APPLY for a medical card like everyone else can .,

Most definitely not. Normal long 12/13 page application compressed into 2 with Medical card application made without any GP stamp required

Hardly? fúck sake. They should be made travel back to the war zone they came from get the stamp and then apply again, if their GP was killed or otherwise occupied helping with the war effort then tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

As a matter of interest what number of Ukrainians are now entering the country weekly or have they stopped issuing numbers. I presume that the numbers are well reduced.

Let's be realistic here. If they can APPLY, then they'll get the card. Kinda strange getting them to apply at all, but.. whatever. It is what it is.

Yes, they are. Same form as anyone else in Ireland. Only difference is that they’re assigned a GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's my impression (open to correction) these magical Medical cards have not actually materialised, there's been various reports few if any Ukranian refugees have actually received these special MC.

As I've said previously, I've absolutely no issue with supports but issuing MC without assigned GP is utterly pointless, for various and numerous reasons few of these refugees will get to see a GP. Clearly the intention was to cut red tape and cost but given these refugees are more likely to seek Medical attention at Hospital A&E departments surely it would have been more sensible to issue a card that could be presented at Hospitals as an immediate, temporary measure.

I do question the fast tracking and prioritising of any person over others that does not mean I'm against anyone receiving Medical care and attention but the HSE , typically jumped head first into this.

If a refugee gets settled, accommodated etc , then the process of applying for and obtaining a MC should commence , not this half baked nonsense. Anyone who understands how the MC system works knows what is allegedly going on is completely impractical.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement