Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silage 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

That’s why the dribble at is the poor mans trailing show IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I’d say the slurry just wasn’t diluted enough going on. By the time it’s fit to be cut it’ll be well gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

Gonna see how tomorrow's rain reacts with it. I've a feeling rain is going to have no effect on it at this stage. Will hit with a tine harrow if no improvement by mid week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Don't waste your diesel. It'll probably be there after mowing too.Will do no harm, Fellas take bales off paddocks that were grazed 4 weeks earlier and have no issue with **** coming in in the silage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Good loser

I suppose the s**t is only fermented grass which is what silage is too, Any bugs would have 'passed' in the weathering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Trailing shoe no better in fairness.

Got mine out a week ago with trailing shoe and looks just like that pic

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Has anyone purchased bale wrap yet? What’s prices looking like? Doesn’t seem to be any for sale online in the usual outlets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭moneyheer

€116 here bout 2 weeks was told next lot of wrap woulf be €128

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

I was told €120 today, silotite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Not get much better than that. Gather up them rolls before the 120 euro rolls come on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jim_11

Paid €112inc at the end of last month for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I see now there's talk of €100/ha (up to 10ha) for cutting silage. What's the logic there? Is it that people are grazing the silage ground because they cut back on fert or what? There's mixed messages here galore. On one hand there's an incentive to turn grass into tillage, while on the other it's to grow grass

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

There is a fodder crisis coming next housing season from farmers cutting back on fertiliser. I think I read there is 50% less being spread this year. I'm sure most of that is people not spreading it on grazing ground but people are still spreading less on their silage grounds. Pair that with lads taking in less animals at the sales this Autumn and farming is going to be in a very bad place. The payout now to subsidise fertiliser will be a lot less than the payout to help a fodder crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

That’s it in a nutshell. I think farming is going to be in a very bad place next winter.

Who’s going to buy stores and put them into a shed to fatten with ration price expected to be €450-€500?

Who’s going to buy all the weanlings when lads realise they have half the silage they normally have after cutting back on fertiliser and ration again at €450 plus to supplement the silage?

Factory prices will need to be €6 per kg to keep the money in the system and passed along the line. It’s hard to see that happening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Why would there be a fodder crisis if your stocked at the appropriate level?? A far bigger factor for fodder quantity and quality will be the weather over the next few months, same as any other year. Also folk will already have ground closed off for silage or hay, pretty much same as any other year and will get this grant money on those acres whether the acres get fert or not(especially if your making red clover silage). Sensible use of slurry will also pay off more in this scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

How do they work out the payment for this scheme as it will be based on hectares cut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭morphy87

I have ground taking for silage, one cut only, I spread the fertilizer and slurry, will I qualify for this €100 an hectare on this ground?

I think there's going to be a shortage. I've had a few different fellas onto me looking to secure bales. I don't have enough land under grass to supply the usual lads who have all requested an increase from 10 to 40% over and above the usual amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@roosterman71 - do you just make forage and sell on? Or do you keep any stock yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It makes sense this year to encourage extra forage being saved, even just to encourage people to maintain levels.

Confidence is on the floor.

It might not take much to see a rout.

I'm going to make extra silage this year, build up a good bank of grass in the fall, lightly stocked at the moment and will pick up value if I can for next year. It won't take much to knock my confidence on that though.

There are some Paddocks ready for June that are serious quantity over quality. I'm not risking a late spring next year. At least half was skinned by the sheep and looks like it will be top notch. They'll eat well the first half anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Saw that winter finishers will need 7 next Winter.

Ration will be well above 600 a tonne I'd say.

Being appropriately stocked with the correct amount of fodder is only a bad Spring away from being out of fodder and in trouble.

The signs are all here and its explained in my post you quoted. Same thing that has happened every other fodder crisis, only this time we are looking at crazy high meal bills and collapse in Autumn weanling sales. If we have an early housing and/or late turnout next Spring then its going to be a disaster.

The whole point of this scheme is to get fertiliser out on silage fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Is there any details on how you apply for the scheme? How do they know how much silage you cut?

Full details to be announced this evening. The amount might be raised since we are looking at €30+ for a bale this year but no budget set. There's also rumblings its beef and sheep only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

Do the figures add up? €100 per hectare, capped at €1000 per farmer will come to a total of €55 million….. Are there that many hectares of silage ground, or farmers in Ireland?

Advertisement