Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,763 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The growth of the second hand market is what will bring them into the affordable price range for the majority. At this point in time I would bet that the overwhelming majority of EV owners are still on their first EV, i.e. they haven't traded up yet. This keeps prices high, since everyone is buying new.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

This is a big thing. I drive an 07 car, which I only usually drive once a week. There’s no way I’m buying a new car or even close. In terms of fully EV. It will be a minimum of 5 years before I would be even considering one. Probably 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

The grant scheme in both housing and transport is very poorly thought out IMHO. There seems to be no joined up thinking. I dont know one person who has a EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Like I drive from Naas to the arse end of Connemara once if not twice a month on top of my normal driving. And I'm feeling the pinch at the moment. So an EV will be on my list as they just are cheaper to run but the initial cost is so prohibitive

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That depends in some ways on what people need too. We recently got a second hand Leaf. We haven’t got the charger installed yet (you know the issue we have there!) but once we do the majority of our driving will be done in that. Because most of our driving is within a 30-40km radius. Others, like CM above, have very different needs though and a second hand Leaf with 100-120km range might not be worth much to them.

Getting the Leaf has also meant we can take some time figuring out what we want to do with the main car. Do we want to go hybrid or fully EV. But most importantly we don’t need to do either for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

You're absolutely right.

On the other hand it's hard to see an EV depreciate in value as quickly as a regular car might (not over the next 3/4 years anyway) given the dramatic increase in demand for them combined with the low supply.

Sales in Ireland for EVs are month on month double of last year's.

The other thing to note is that the advertised ranges for the EVs are usually WLTP ranges. That is to say, if they say they'll do 300km on a single charge, you are not going to get anywhere near 300km of motorway driving. Probably would need to knock ~30% off that, maybe more, if you are doing a long motorway journey.

This would be a big problem for me or anyone else who does these journeys, and a blocker for getting an EV as the main car in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

We went to the in-laws in Clare a while back.

Usual toilet stop at Barack Obama Plaza, in and out as quick as you can etc. Saw a family all sitting in their EV waiting for it to charge before continuing on. No idea how long they had been there or how much longer they would have to wait but they all looked absolutely miserable and as I drove off I was thinking "nope, not going electric any time soon".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

For the fellas out there, where's decent to buy a suit in Dublin/the Pale these days? It's been quite a while since I've gotten one. For a wedding - not business - if that helps.

Ha, my in-laws are in Clare as well so that's a journey I'm really familiar with.

I prefer not stopping, wouldn't be bothered with stopping for 30 mins for a coffee or whatever to then have to get in and drive again. I like getting from A to B as fast as possible. Maybe not paying for fuel would take the edge off having to stop, but really I'd want the car to comfortably get me there without stopping and with some room to spare (i.e. I'm not starting to turn off the air con and the radio once I hit Limerick to save those last few percentage points of battery).

One thing I don't get, what happens if you pull into Obama Plaza and all the chargers are currently occupied? You could be sitting there for like an hour or more? What do people do?

• Advertisement

In my (very) limited experience people tend to be very decent about that stuff. They move on pretty quick. Depending on the charger there can be time limits set anyway where you get charged a premium for going over it. We’ve yet to have a wait of more than 5 or 10 mins.

From what I’ve seen even the 50kW chargers give you about 80-100km range in 30-40 mins. So if they get a decent amount of the higher speed chargers in over the next while there would be no need for people to be charging for much more than 30-40 mins max. And that would be to get low to high. I’d imagine in most cases they’d be used for top ups so nothing like those timelines.

For us, we would always stop on longer trips too so a stop for 30 mins would be pretty normal. If you don’t want to stop then you’d probably need to be sure you’ve a way to charge when you get to your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

You'd get to Clare from Dublin without stopping no bother, so long as your car wasn't one of the earlier versions of an EV.

You'd be charging it before beginning your return leg alright.

One guy posted recently on the EV6 forum that he went from Dublin to Tyrone and back and reckons he could have done it without charging. He stopped on the way home in City North and charged for 11 minutes while he got a coffee.

Lot of the new EVs are recharging their own battery in eco mode too, which adds further to range. Every time you use the brakes, the battery gains a bit.

To answer your question, vast majority of charging is done at home.

You'd want to have planned a journey very poorly if you end up queueing somewhere almost out of power.

Typically people would start looking for a charge at around 30%, so that they have multiple options of places to charge. The apps inform you which charge points are in use and which are available.

But in our case we wouldn’t be sitting and waiting. We stop to get food and so would just park up at the charger and head off to grab what we needed. It would fit with how we already travel. Lots of people would be the same.

A lot depends on what people need. Awec regularly does a roughly 300km trip with family and a boot full of stuff. He doesn’t want to stop on the way. Ranges as they are at the moment would make that tricky (it might be doable) so he may need to wait until ranges increase a bit more.

I rarely do longer trips and when I do I like to stop for food (I’ve 2 in the family who can get hangry!). So even if I’m doing a trip that may be on the edge of the range of the car, plugging it in while we grab food would make no odds to me at all. I know others who would be on the road a lot who have EVs who are happy to stop off for a coffee to top it up as needed too.

Ranges now are such that they have opened the door to a lot more people and range anxiety is fast becoming a thing of the past. EVs still aren’t right for some, for a variety of reasons. But they are a legit option for more and more people. And it’ll continue to go that way as they become more affordable, the charging network grows (and improved) and ranges increase further.

Sure if you're willing to drive off route a bit to find a vacant one that's an option, but you'd want to be stopping somewhere with decent facilities if you're going to be sitting there for over half an hour right?

I still feel like they haven't quite got to the stage where it's a great experience if you do long journeys.

It should be rare that you’d need to be charging for 30 mins though with the way it’s going. That’s the point. If you have a car that can do 400+km then how often are you going to need to charge it from 20-100% mid-trip? Chances are you’ll have it at 100% at the start of the journey and maybe just need a quick top up along the way, which in a high speed charger may mean 10-15 mins. If even.

Of course it’s an easy thing for us here in Ireland where no journey is realistically going to be more than 400km absolute maximum. In somewhere like the States it may be a different ball game if you’re doing inter-state travel etc.

You aren't going to get 400km though, or close to it, if driving on the motorway.

Someone on the motors forum did an analysis of their id3, which has an advertised 400km range, they drove from Finglas to Fermoy which is ~215km and their conclusion was that you will get 260->310km range maximum if doing motorway miles, also weather dependent (less miles in the winter).

The id3 is a much smaller car than the likes of the Enyaq (which also comes with the same battery capacity though has an option for a better battery), but for arguments sake we'll say it'll be capable of similar distances.

That would mean by the time I got to somewhere like Obama Plaza, I could be on as low as 20% battery. Since my final destination has no wallbox for charging I'd be limited to the granny charger which is obviously a non-runner, or I'd have to drive somewhere else and sit for the 30-40 mins waiting for a full charge before attempting the return journey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I’ve 2 in the family who can get hangry!

Trying to pretend one of them isn’t yourself, molloy?? ;)

• Advertisement

The bigger battery Enyaq had a WLTP of 516km or thereabouts so the 400km should be doable in that one. There are a few with WLTPs in excess of 500km, which basically means 400-450km real world AFAIK, including motorway. The rule of thumb seems to be 80% of the WLTP for something like this from what I’ve seen.

EDIT: But yes, on those journeys you’d need a charger at the other end unless you’re willing to stop and refill on the way.

What the f* are you trying to say aloooof!? Are you having a go? Because I’m really not in the rumour right now…..oh, look, it’s dinner time…..

I believe that Brasil runs most of their vehicles on sugar alcohol. They switched during the 70's. Petrol was too expensive at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭b.gud

The new boards is horrible it won't let me post the above video unless I write a character. So I hope this is sufficient for the pos software that they now use to run this once enjoyable site /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Get a Tesla and stop at the Birdhill supercharger. You'll get around 40 - 50% back Into the battery as quick as you can have a slash and grab a coffee.

I do Dublin to inch beach a few times a year. I can make it without stopping (320kms) but with kids and the dog it's easier to stop for a leg stretch and to let the dog get some water and go to the toilet.

The public charging network outside of Tesla's superchargers is beyond useless. ESB installing chargers than can theoretically charge 3 cars at high speeds but then add a slow charger to it. One car uses this, blocks 2 spaces and now it can charge one car at high speed. Seriously you should check out how they place them. Put them in petrol stations against a wall thus stopping a car from using it from the front and rear.

They recently installed 2 fast chargers on sir John Roberson's quay in Dublin. Didn't bother painting the ground and it's just another parking bay for diesels. Taxi drivers parking on the footpath to charge!!

They installed a 150kw fast charger in blanchardstown shopping centre. Most cars only need 20 minutes on this for a big hit. So why put it in the middle of the busiest shopping centre in Ireland? Any of the service stations on the M3 would be easier to access.

ESB cars are beyond useless.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are EVs the environmental disaster a lot of people are saying (relatively short battery life and impossible to recycle) is that all exaggerated?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yep. Batteries are getting better every year with less degradation than before.

Older cars are being stripped off their batteries and people are using them as powerwalls for their home (solar storage).

Also worth noting that the Leaf we got had about 8% degradation and it’s 7 years old. Previous owners really took care of it. The more you use fast chargers, the more the battery will degrade. If you use primarily home charging then the battery will last.

Misses and I switched over to the Nissan Drama there a while back. Runs on internet rage so anytime I need to top it up I just post in the Munster team thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Clampers in town sure do love EV’s. Nearly every time I walk past the one on Merrion Square, there’s one clamped.

Advertisement