Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons For Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Can you send me a message when we are allowed to post about the place (in a less than glowing light) please.

Thanks in advance

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

My wife and her friend went there yesterday morning for breakfast and it was served to them more than cold, and a young man came down and asked was their for food OK, and when they told him it was UN-eatable because it was cold, he walked off and never came back.

probably treat their staff poorly, over worked, poor pay and conditions etc, understandable if so....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

Wetherspoons are **** holes. They seem to be slightly better in Ireland than in England but they are still **** holes.

They are able to sell cheap beer because they screw their employees and their suppliers. Their cheap beer and food profile means they tend to attract a very low grade custom. In Sheffield the custom is so low grade that they only sell beer in plastic skiffs because they have a problem with glassing. A clientele who's biggest motivation is price will not be attractive.

Shit holes with a **** company director.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I'

I asked a staff member could they clear a table as it was dirty and had glasses. They said they would and never returned...

I know I've been berated here for what is "teething issues" but thats absolutely shocking customer service. Surely if you were just open you'd want to make a good impression?

customer service is a cost in business nowadays, and costs are bad! its happening in many industries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Some of the people working there are just kids, 17 year olds who are in their first job, I know that sometimes you can be asked to do something, and as your walking back you may be interrupted by your superior or another customer with a more urgent request and you are taken away from what you are doing, perhaps the kids was asked to do something else straight away, perhaps they said i was asked to clear a table by a customer, perhaps they were told forget that i need you to do this first, they've just opened and are find their feet and gaining experience, give them a break, I know how these things are run from experience, if they are the same in 3 months time then id accept your observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

This problem isn’t just with Wetherspoons, it’s happening in lots of pubs and restaurants in Waterford and Ireland at the moment. Employers aren’t in a position to hire the best staff anymore, they’re basically forced to take whenever comes through the door with an application. I was in three places for food over the weekend and in all three places we were served by brand new staff. It’s not their fault and often it’s not the fault of the employer. Unless they don’t want to pay the money to get better staff that is.

Lots of 17 or 18 year olds that work in restaurants or bars don’t really give a shît about their job. It’s part time and it’s to help them out in college but they aren’t overly reliant on part time jobs as people were years ago. If they don’t want to do something, like clear a table, they’ll go missing. If they don’t want to change a keg, they’ll go missing. It’s just the way things are nowadays with the service industry. They’re paid sod all money and tipping seems to be a thing of the past I’ve noticed now as well. If they’re not going to get rewarded they’re not going to put the effort in. It’s a paycheck for them and it’s week to week, they’re not too worried about a dirty table or cold food.

many sme's are in deep trouble, particularly post covid, government supports should have never been removed, we ll probably experience a wide scale failure of many of these businesses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Do they pay more than the minimum wage in Ireland like they do in the UK ?

I know they are high on staff retention, it costs lots of time and money to keep employing people, a man I know of who recently retired had worked for them in Derby for 25 years, they get bonuses and free shares, he ended up with a secure retirement.

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2022/03/02/jd-wetherspoon-share-and-bonus-scheme-for-staff

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/18238644/thousands-wetherspoons-staff-pay-rise/

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2022/03/02/jd-wetherspoon-share-and-bonus-scheme-for-staff

I’m not sure what staff are being paid by JDW, my comments weren’t specific to them though. What’s going on with service industry staff is happening all over Ireland. People just don’t see to want to work anymore, at least in service industry jobs.

You're correct, onboarding costs are very high and businesses can’t keep throwing money at getting staff in the door only to have them walk out after a week or so.

...this is where state supports are urgently needed, we have to protect as many businesses as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

That comment doesn't make much sense. You can't have the penny and the bun, you're either in business or not, unlimited subsidy would mean the country would be broke in no time.

....and if we keep thinking like this, and there wont be enough jobs! capitalism only survives when theres effective state protectionism! most jobs are in the sme sectors, and most are in trouble!

So in my own personal experience working in this industry, you wont hold onto staff ranting and raving and putting them under pressure cos kids today don't react well to that.

The social system is entirely wrong, it doesn't pay to go to work, it pays to stay at home on benefit, Most people that come work for us ask can we do X and O's even though the hours are there, they would lose too many benefits if they took the job on full time, so the social welfare system doesn't motivate people to take up full time employment I M O.

We had another lady come in and she had a handy little number working 2 or 3 days i think it was 6 hours per day, she then got the FIS on top she had supplements toward her rent and so on, Offer her a full time job that's and tough job and you'll be told where to go, she would lose all her benefits which wouldnt make sense, even though the hours are there.

Finally you just cannot get the staff who want to work in minimum wage jobs and do it with pride.

I drove home from work recently after picking my kid up from school, after 6 cos he was studying, stressed out of my eyeballs due to work etc, as i pulled into my estate my neighbour gets out of her car which was relatively new in her gym gear she stretches as she gets out and walks into her paid for house whats wrong with the system?? would she give that up to work 40 hours a week cleaning rooms and lose all her benefits?? doubt it, the whole system is wrong over all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

And in so doing maintains Geoffs well deserved reputation for uptightness and snobiness. The amount of insufferable bores who consider themselves "cool" because they got a window seat in Geoffs is just shocking.

At the end of the day its a dark grimy pub with a majority of the staff residing up their own rectums. Give me a nice cheap pint and ordinary conversation any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Absolutely love that they restored the flanagans fish shop sign and have hung it on the wall downstairs, really nice nod to old streetscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

To be honest I think that comment is unworthy of Geoffs!

I've always liked the place & always got on well with the staff.

I never had any issues with anyone one be they staff or clientele because in my

humble opinion they look after the place & their customers very well.

And I do like a window seat to watch the world go by when I'm having a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Ordering food in a Weatherspoons christ on a bike lads its all microwaved crap how do ye not know that? Weatherspoons is for the chape drink nothing more.

I hope they open more and more branches in Ireland as our scummy publicans have been operating a gouging cartel for years now barely anywhere under a fiver now for a pint long live Weatherspoons and the 2.95 pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

100% agree. The criticism of the Geoff's staff is a long running, boring argument from some on here. I just don't get it. The majority of staff in there are top notch and a lot of staff from other pubs/restaurants could actually learn a thing or two from them in terms of food service and customer service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Good to see they had bouncers on both doors at seven o clock tonight 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

In your opinion. But my own experience has been quite different, and its something echoed from friends who are not from Waterford and have been guests of mine there. It boils down to whether you buy into the general too cool for school vibe the staff give off in waves. If you like all that, you probably dont mind the poor customer service and attitude a lot of them have.

Fair enough. I don't get what you mean with the too cool for school comment. It's certainly not something I factor in when deciphering good service from bad service. I eat or drink in there roughly once a month and have never left with a bad taste.

we have completed fcuked things up, political and economic ideologies we ve been following for decades now are starting to collapse nearly everywhere, its leading people to behave in what seems like selfish and self centered ways, but in reality, people are just trying to get by, many people are starting to realise, its all a load of sh1te, and have had enough of it. we ve been suppressing labor markets throughout this period, and people are started to crack, literally, this isnt good for any of us, from employees to employers, and everything in between, we better get cracking on solutions, or else......

That’s a nonsense comment regarding ordinary publicans. Do you understand how difficult it is to make any sort of a living from a pub in Ireland? A friend of mine owns a well known, well respected and busy pub in Waterford and is sick to his stomach with worry about keeping the place going.

His rates are astronomical.

His Sky tv bill is astronomical. He got rid of Sky and then 8 or 10 of his regulars said they’d go elsewhere if he didn’t get it back in. Sky have since increased their prices and while he’ll never sell enough drink to pay for the tv bill, if he doesn’t have it in the pub he’s losing good punters.

His insurance is astronomical. Someone “fell” in the pub 3 years ago and he ended up settling out of court despite the claimant telling obvious lies. If he went through his insurance he’d have probably had to close up now.

If you’re that worried about paying a little bit extra for a pint in your local pub, Wetherspoons are welcome to you.

Populist governance is an issue, im a middle income earner, im the most screwed member of society, dont qualify for medical card pay my taxes, dont get paid if im sick, have to pay a doctor to get a sick note prescription its MENTAL, my colleague who is only living in the country a few years

( not racism just highlighting a fact)

Hes doin X N O"s wont work past his time cos he'll lose his benefits, he gets rent allowance cos he has kids medical card and so, my employer wont do anything like call the dole to say theres more hours cos they cant get the staff and this cycle is repeated throughout my company, if i kick up ill be called racist or a disgrumtled worker, its a serious issue that effects the jobs market and in turn effects the service industry and quality of service provided, the social system is totally wrong.

If i decided to leave my family home in the morning i wouldnt be able to afford it, am im the one payin the taxes to keep the system running as is.

total disgrace but no politician wud touch it with a barge pole as it wud be political suicide.

my mother had 8 kids alone and had 2 jobs, cos she cudnt rely on hand outs, she made ends meet cos she had to.

wow dat was a rant😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Rubbish the rates for sky sports in a pub are based on the turnover of the pub form €932 a month to €2,002 a month depending on yearly turnover so your're trying to tell me he can't sell 2 grands worth of drink in a busy pub in a month come on now. I won't be falling for the poor publican spiel and what has he done with all the government handouts he's got in the last 2 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭amber69

Advertisement