Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

I can relate. My daughter has no interest in current affairs*, but she also keeps her thoughts to herself, so when she expresses a concern like that, we know it's something that's really worrying her. Her ability to keep her own counsel and stand up to questioning, combined with a relentless ability to ferret out information herself has led us to conclude that she'd be a natural as a secret service analyst. 😁 I had know idea she was so aware of the Ukraine situation, apart from me telling her to expect some new classmates in September. She must have locked on to something that filtered through.

*Neither of them is a chip off either parental block that way, but I sometimes think they may have right idea. Maybe life is nicer like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I am sure a large country like Russia has a certain number of fires, but would love to know if the current number of them is out of the ordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's a fallacy that's pushed by the disingenuous and consumed by ignorant to say that NATO expands into anywhere. I could understand it being said on social media, which is the intellectual wild west, but when politicians start saying it - people who should be held to a slightly higher standard - that's when it gets annoying.

If Russia worked to become the kind of country that other countries want to follow, it would have plenty of buffer zone, but it hasn't so it doesn't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Because one is harder than the other. We rely a lot on middle distillates from Russia that can not be as quickly/easily replaced as crude oil as the refining capacity isn't there.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The same trope is often levelled at the EU, that it somehow engages in aggressive expansion in order to become a supposed EU super state. It's the same crowd pushing the narrative - anti-NATO, anti-EU, anti-Zelensky, anti-Biden, pro-Trump, pro-Brexit, pro-Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Actually a good while back on this forum, there was a poster whose wife was Russian, and her advice to stop the war dead in its tracks, was to offer every Russian Soldier and EU passport.😄

This is the thing I've been hammering on about, NATO expands through co-operation and mutual protection. Russia expands through war, landgrabs and subjugation. The whole 2 sides thing really falls apart quickly. It was the Eastern European countries who were pushing at the start, not the yanks or the Brits who thought it'd be done in a week. It was only when there was a chance that the Brits and Yanks jumped on board. Obviously one can criticise them for that but it's a pretty flimsy criticism when coming from the default position that NATO "expansion" or "aggression" was the trigger in the first place.

So Ukrainian commanders like to have a chocolate or two. Hey, they're only human...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Pope is an imbecile, but he's keeping with tradition in that respect.

Yesterday I killed the neighbours pets and left them on the front porch, I smashed in every window and got a ladder and ripped off a lot of slates, cut through the felt and then stomped on the plasterboard and caved in their ceiling. I did unspeakable things to their children.

That will teach them to enquire about joining neighbourhood watch when I warned them not to.

Do you honestly believe that the Kremlin Factory of Lies need's help in their productions???? What they are coming out with ( 500 Mtr tsunamis...) You would be hard put to think up more fantastic tales. You have to give them 110% marks for creativity and imagination. And they keep on doing it....WOW, that's what I call Olympic / Academy Awards class talent.

You joke, but wait until a photo of the "evidence" gets circulated 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

But surely the Russian administration can see that too?

Yet they're not making any attempts at a diplomatic resolution? Rather they just seem to be ploughing ahead as if things are fine domestically.

So either things are going to be fine or they know they'll be rescued by a 3rd party when things become crippling.

"❗️A fighter of the Armed Forces of Ukraine appealed to all those who bite themselves for not being at the front.

There are more than enough people in the army, now it is very important to get support in the rear, you should not scold those who do not fight. One military man in civilized countries is provided by 12 (!) Working people. Everyone should help those who do their best"

Interesting take on manpower levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The guy is right and its a very mature assessment of the situation. The Ukrainians know that effective logistics is the key to victory, something the RuSSians obviously haven't either figured out or mastered.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ceramic

It seems they’re in favour of being in the EU for the money, the funds (of which they are usually one of the largest benefactors), the access to the market and the freedom of movement but that’s where the enthusiasm ends. They’ve little interest in adopting or accepting EU values - notably democratic ones, which are a fundamental part of what and why the EU and the European institutions were created and they hugely support a political party that seeks to basically destroy the EU, and it would seem, sides with Russia, who are quite literally threatening to nuke EU member states.

It doesn’t work like that! They’re more than welcome to leave! They can sort out their domestic politics themselves. It’s not an EU problem.

If there had not been any NATO bases within an asses roar ( or even further away) from Russia's borders, Putin would have found another excuse to invade Ukraine. The big problem for Putin was a farmer Putin satellite state breaking free, and becoming a successful democratic Country in its own right, on the border pf Russia. That was the unforgiveable crime that had to be punished, and as a warning to any others who might have the same ideas. But as we are seeing it is backfiring spectacularly. And that's now the big problem.

• Advertisement

It’s basically colonialism and imperialism in a modern context. This is exactly how 19th and early 20th century European powers behaved.

You’re looking at a country that’s effectively in a time warp. It might have electricity, nuclear power and access to the internet but politically it’s in about 1875.

It’s barely even been a democracy for very long and seems to think it’s normal to jail, poison and kill anyone who disagrees or challenges the autocracy. That’s what they’ve always done. It’s just been rebranded - tzars and their courts were just replaced with communist era equivalents, then with an autocratic presidency and a court of oligarchs … it’s not political system anyone who’s grown up in a democracy would recognise. It has institutions that have titles that look vaguely familiar, but that’s where the similarity ends.

They see Ukraine (and other places) as theirs and think they’re just going to take them. I don’t really see how you can deal with that other than to contain them. It’s basically just going to morph into another phase of the Cold War.

I think the broader west has been naive about the notion that all countries naturally tend towards democracy and open, liberal societies. They simply don’t. That’s a largely a product of the European enlightenment era thinking and it doesn’t apply everywhere. Some countries will continue to tend towards king like leadership systems and you can see that clearly in Russia and quite a few other places where that’s always been the political culture. They seek a “good king” or a “powerful king” not a representative democracy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I doubt that the one they have given an extra couple of months to work around is anything that those 2 months are likely to be any use in helping them to resolve though.

Feels like they have seperated the two deadlines so that they can then keep pushing one of them back as the extra time won't make a difference.

The real problems between Russia and Ukraine began when the Ukrainian parliament overwhelmingly voted on a deal that would allow greater economic cooperation between Ukraine and the EU, but which was then kiboshed by the Ukrainian president of the time. I don't think it's venturing too far into crazy conspiracy land to think the then-president was pressured into the U-turn by mother Russia.

It's boneheaded, short-term thinking by Russia, the way they're trying to assert influence in the world. Long-term, it will lead to the loss of all CIS states and the country will become ever more of a Chinese vassal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well if there were none close to his borders, he'd just keep expanding until his borders moved to where there were

Rural Russia may well survive self sufficiency ( after all, they have plenty of experience) without any of the frills, but in the Cities? Remember, Communism was to be the beginning and end of self sufficiency and independence from the outside world, and see how that went. The fact is that we live in an interdependent global world, and that very inter- dependance is what gives us the most f the benefits we enjoy today. ( and of course, it also means that when we become over dependent on other Country's ( China, and currently Russian Oil and Gaz) it needs to be addressed.

It’s completely pointless just look at what Putin has “achieved”

1. Destroyed Ukraine to the point that it will be unable to actually function properly for years or decades without massive economic assistance to rebuild, which Russia cannot afford to do. What’s the point of even invading it? They’ll very justifiably hate Russia forever now and will never, ever just roll in as a complaint province.
    2. Destroyed the Russian export economy - even without sanctions no company in their right mind is going to be depending on Russian energy exports ever again.
    3. Undermined decades of rebuilding of bridges with the EU and various western countries, which has profound implications in the medium and long term for Russia.
    4. Frozen themselves out of international markets for just about everything.
    5. Made themselves dependent on China and even China seems to be blowing rather cold on this and is probably just measuring up what resources can be extracted. Chinese-Russian relations aren’t as warm and cuddly as some people seem to imagine. Their objectives and approaches to many things are also quite incompatible.
    6. Can now look forward to restarting the Cold War and decades of at best being contained and seen as a very serious threat and an absolute menace by countries that were until a couple of months ago its main customers!
    7. Unified, strengthened and expanded NATO - as it’s once again seen as absolutely essential for security.
    8. Undermined and destroyed Russian social and cultural relations with much the rest of the world.
    9. In all probability have destabilised their own country and undermined its citizens quality of life.

I think the trigger event was the Maidan revoultion in 2014 and the chasing out of Putin's glove puppet.

Well, that's what I mean in the sense that Ukraine's abrupt about face on EU economic integration was what gave rise to Euromaidan shortly thereafter. It was a very clear demonstration to the Ukrainian people that their government was only a puppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I'm sure they can see it. One thing to bear in mind though is that everyone near the apex of the Russian power vertical (i.e. Putin and his cronies) are multi-billionaires and are thus somewhat insulated from the impacts of sanctions. And, as can be seen from the deployment of troops, they don't care what happens to the average Russian.

There is no third party who will resolve this in Russia's favour, including China. China will do what is in China's long-term interest.

Even if Russia win militarily (still very much a prospect when you consider the relative strength of the two sides, despite the much-needed Western aid), they will lose in every other way. Sanctions remain, pariah status remains, isolation and decline is their future.

Even if there is a negotiated settlement, Russia loses. They lose power of all flavours.

The only possible scenario I can see that is not long-term awful for Russia is if Putin somehow gets removed and a new, somewhat democratic and Western-friendly, regime takes over. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that and would make it a less than 1% chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They being a totalitarian state and a dictatorship with very little press freedom wouldn't necessarily be a problem for Europe at all, providing they kept to themselves. It's the expansionism of the last decade and desire to reclaim lost land that makes them dangerous to peace in Europe (especially as there appears to be a cabal in the Kremlin who think Poland, the Baltics, Kazakhstan and Moldova would be fair game for Russian invasion).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement