Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vanish. Weird question.

• 01-05-2022 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Is there a way to leave everything in a house to a person?

Weird I know. Not related. But if I want everything I own to belong to her..

Is that possible without going through civil partnership?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If it is just furniture and personal effects there is no problem.

Contact a solicitor and make a will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭somuj

Not going to die. I want to disappear.

Want my partner to have all my stuff..

MODs delete

Didnt make myself clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Sounds like OP is planning to fake his own death. That usually ends well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

just give them your stuff. I’m not sure where the issue is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I'd imagine the only way to leave personal effects to someone is to make a will. But if it's anything like leaving an asset, the Will will have to assure that all your debts are covered before the person gets them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tax. You have quite a low threshold for people who are not related to you.

Legal issues relating to putting assets beyond reach of authorities, if that applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Although OP refers to a partner I assume that they do not also have a current spouse. That might make a big difference to what OP is entitled to dispose of and to whom 🙂

A Will would be the same though, no?

second hand household items are not exactly high value. but I suppose it depends on the OP’s possessions.

what if he sold the belongs. No tax implication there.

Then he'd be leaving the proceeds of the sale to someone, and there would be a tax implication on those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A will requires you to be actually dead though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

yeh, i dont understand what "Oxi-Action" is either .......................

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You can't give something to someone without their consent. Say it's a house - the other person would have to be actively involved in, and sign for, the transfer of ownership. You can give anything to anyone with their consent - the only issue would be the tax liabilities, as mentioned. As you're not married or closely related, she would be in Group C, so the threshold before Capital Acquisitions Tax would kick in is currently gifts of a value of more than €16,250.

So you can't just sign some document to hand the house over to your partner that she only finds out about after you disappear. Small stuff, in practice you could do that - leave a note that says "I'm off - you can have my guitar." I mean, she doesn't have to accept it, but it would be there for her to use or sell or give away, and no-one would bat an eyelid about it. But a house, a car, money in the bank, stocks, etc - you'd have to actively include here in the transfer of ownership.

Particularly if you own a home or have savings, unless you actively involve your partner in organising your affairs before you disappear, you're going to land her with a world of legal hassle. She won't be able to claim ownership, and you won't be able to give it - until a lengthy an costly legal process is exhausted.

No there wouldn’t.

Proceeds of a sake goes to the seller not the purchaser. Buying household items is not taxable. Nor is selling them.

Pretty sure presumed dead would suffice.

But the point I was making was that it’s the same in either case.

If the OP sold all his personal possessions and gave the proceeds of the sale to his partner as a gift (or inheritance), she (the partner) would be liable for Capital Acquisitions Tax on anything that pushed her over the €16,250 lifetime threshold.

Sure and if he win the lotto and gave her 1m it would also be tax liable. But that’s irrelevant, like your scenario.

But OP didn’t say anything about giving the partner all his money. Neither did I.

I suggested he could sell them to her, rather than gift them.

• Advertisement

Well, you simply said "what if he sold the belongs.". You didn't specify "to her" at all. But now that you've clarified your point, I get it.

I get the impression s/he wants to disappear without warning, and ensure that all goods/money left behind go to the partner.

Selling them to her would raise flags.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

OP are you ok? Need help to talk though?

why do u wanna disappear?

Well the context of the tread is that he was to leave them to her. I’m sure the OP was aware he could sell them to strangers and leg it.

I assumed he was disappearing with the partner knowing. But maybe not.

the sale would be a flag after the fact. But so too is the fact he disappeared. So kinda makes no difference to the people looking at that point.

I'd wonder, OP, if the person would actually want any of your possessions if you decided to just feck off and leave her to deal with the fallout of your disappearance. Obviously you're disappearing for a reason, and the reason will come looking for you. If you've left possessions in her care, then you are dragging her into a mess. Unless of course you're going to make your disappearance look like a death, then you're just plain heartless tbh.

I'm not sure if OP is coming back. But as above, I was assuming that the partner was fully aware of the situation and OP wasn't just going to go for cigarettes and milk and never come back.

Completely agree with you though. If it is the latter, the leaving your sofa and xbox to a partner is definition of a hollow gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If the sale is at less than market rate, then the discount is a gift which is liable to gift tax depending on thresholds.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Sell all the stuff you want to her for a nominal sum, say €5. Write a receipt for her if you feel you must.

Wills and the like is only for passing on stuff after you die. Sounds like you just want to give her your stuff, which if it is just personal effects and accessories, I assume is not of any particularly great value.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Not if he flogged the lot on adverts.ie or donedeal and gave her the proceeds of the sale in the Bertie Ahern fashion, ie a sock full of cash that she can keep in the hot press. For like likes of the everyday junk that I feel the op is talking about, I think this is the level we are at. Even a car. Just flog it for cash and hand over the money in an envelope. You are hardly going to delcare a wad of cash to revenue, nor are the revenue likely to be even interested in Johnny gifitng a €100 guitar to Mary.

If I add up the value of all birthday presents and christmas presents, communion money etc shoudl I by right be delcaring that to Revenue? Get ta fúck.

• Advertisement

If you are disappearing and not coming back, then why even bother. Just leave the junk behind, you are not coming back for it anyway so what does it matter.

OP, have you still got the dog?

The dog you were willing money to ?

But lousey willing the dog money and the partner a few bits of your possessions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

One man’s junk is another man’s treasure!

Yes I do. Part of the package if want my wishes met.. why is everything so complicated

Delete this thread please. My woggo and my partner, I would like to look after 😶 not possible. Continue is pointless. Just opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Endgame

• Advertisement

Sincerely wrote all. My dog I love.

Female I care about now. Just need to go.

Which is easily determined in the case of a car or house. There’s really no market rate for an old sofa and dining set. People often get rid for nothing.

To prevent repossession, as a guess.

Possibly. Thinking about speaking to someome in general.

Advertisement