Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

How do you know that with such certainty? You are great at making declarative statements without stating how you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

It'd be pretty surprising and out of character for Leinster if Dunne was cut loose. Usually when a young player heads off to another province, it's a sure sign that they were deemed surplus to requirement. But when they are picked up by a team in another league, that suggests that the contract Leinster offered simply wasn't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

How often does it really happen that Leinster are proven wrong when a young guy leaves/is let go/is banished in chains?

There's Beirne, and that's about it really. Maybe Dunne will turn out to be that good but probably not.

Again, our locks next season are Ryan (25), Baird (22), Molony (27), McCarthy (21), Jenkins (26) and Deeny (22). Keeping Dunne would mean depriving some other young player of game time.

TBH I'm a lot more disappointed to be losing Josh Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Even at that it doesn’t make it the wrong decision anyway, maybe Beirne doesn’t turn into the player he is at Leinster anyway.

• Advertisement

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

not at all

there no way one progression pathway is suitable for 100% of the entrants into it.

There's many, many cases of players who have developed from taking the "road less travelled". Look at the likes of Gavin Thornbury. its arguable he would have been lost to rugby if he hadnt had taken that trip to New Zealand and played club rugby with Border.

Or look at Jack Regan going down to play club rugby with Dunedin Sharks and now a professional rugby player in Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I agree with this. There are so many factors at play with these things and mostly unquantifiable.

if Beirne needed to leave Leinster to develop into a lions level player then that is an issue for the leinster rugby development pathway.. personally I believe he could have developed into that player at leinster if given that chance.

the issue was leinster weren't exactly well coached when Beirne was leaving the academy and he was lost in the transition from MOC to Cullen, pre-Lancaster.

Do I think Dunne will develop into an international at exeter? No, but it's an odd one, maybe not getting a leinster contract light a fire under Dunne, wouldnt be the first that happened.

Beirne wouldnt have become the player he is without the ability to play 6 and 8 at Scarlets.

Leinster saw his as an out an out lock in his development stage, he wouldn't have gotten time in the back row for Leinster compared to the other players who were coming through at the time.

Therefore Beirne wouldnt have become the player he did without going to scarlets. Thats not Leinsters issue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

“if Beirne needed to leave Leinster to develop into a lions level player then that is an issue for the leinster rugby development pathway.. personally I believe he could have developed into that player at leinster if given that chance.”

There isn’t a perfect player development environment anywhere tho, not even Leinster. And there’s only so many chances / minutes that can be handed out; Beirne getting that chance means another player would have had to miss out. And syd has made the point about the minutes he got in the back row at Scarlets.

I was pretty happy when Munster signed Beirne, but I think it’s fair to say he’s surpassed expectations from when he signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would imagine Jenkins, a capped Sprinbbok (albeit a single cap), was signed for much more than to be a URC player. Between his signing and now, we've seen a significant leap forward in terms of our lock options/performances. Pretty much every second row in the squad has had game time and shown real potential. But back at the start of the year, the cupboard was looking a lot more bare/unproven.

Dunne, Murphy, Molony, Baird, Ryan and McCarthy....I think people would be fairly comfortable with any of those guys being in our first choice 23 next season if they were still available. With that said, Jenkins still provides something that none of our options can which is pure power and bulk. He's 124kg Even if he provides 1-2 year tutelage to Joe McCarthy, it will have been a moderate success.

If Jenkins can realise some of his significant potential for Leinster, I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever to see him as a first choice player by this time next year. He's a huge unit who can handle the ball well and carry well with a pretty decent work rate too (43 tackles made without missing a single one in his 177 minutes so far this season).

It is leinsters issue if they can not recognize a player in their squad is capable of being a lions level player and they don't give him the required coaching and game time to reach that level.

It wouldn't happen now with Lancaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It wouldn’t be the first time, but it would be the exception more so than the rule. Anyway the biggest issue with Beirne at Leinster was his injury profile. And we’ve seen how moving can, for whatever reason, clear things like that up. Look even as far back as Wilkinson at Newcastle and then at Toulon.

We have no idea the detail behind Dunne’s leaving, but as mentioned above it’s rare that Leinster have been shown to make mistakes in this area. Like every team they will make some mistakes. There’s no need to make a mountain out of a pretty small molehill. Especially when we’ve young lads coming through in that position even with Dunne heading off. There isn’t really an issue here at all, much and all as you seem to want there to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Beirne also still had to play club rugby in Wales. It didn't happen overnight for him.

yeah those 20/20 hindsight goggles look really great on you.

i think the fact that Beirne is the ONLY player of that level to have succeeded away from leinster is a testament to how good the system is working.

i'm not making an issue of it, just thought it odd he didnt get a contract offer given how well he has played since they announced he was leaving.. but again i'd say being released by leinster has given him a kick up the hole by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Bierne did not look like the player he would go on to become when he left leinster. He was a skinny looking lock. He bulked up in scarlets and his handling and jackling improved immeasurably. Yes it does raise questions around the quality of coaching of certain skills but gametime/player attitude etc etc all changed with the move.

again? who said the system isn't working?

Your delusional if you don't think leinster have reviewed Beirne as a case of someone who slipped through the system and made sure not to make the same mistakes again.

The sensitivity some have to any perceived criticism of leinster is a bit much, leinster make mistakes, it's allowed to point them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

• Advertisement

How so?

I've never claimed Dunne is a future Lion, just that his release looks odd now given his recent performances, but as I said I think his release has light a fire under Dunne as he did not expect it and he has taken his chances when given them this season.

no one is saying leinster are infallible, far from it. However pointing to a player who thrived away from leinster as an issue with Leinster is completely illogical, as its ignores the heavily weighted examples of the system working very well to progress players through to not only leinster professional players, but munster / connacht and ulster professional players AND Ireland test level players. Leinsters development pathway is the envy of most club rugby in the world, and Beirne is very much the outlier and exception which proves the rule.

There is absolutely no guarantee that Beirne would have developed into a lions level player had he stayed at leinster, in fact all roads would point to the probability that he wouldn't have as he wouldn't have had the game time in the positions he got at scarlets in order to develop into his style of a dynamic second row.

id love to see a list of the changes Leinster made to their development pathways as a result of Beirne moving to scarlets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Cullen clearly, clearly undervalued Beirne's potential. And not by a little bit. By a lot. He thought he wasn't even worth a 3-month development contract.

Edit: Maybe better to say Cullen didn't think he was worth a one-year development contract for 2016/2017. For some reason I had "3-month" in my head when I was thinking of development contract.

Beirne himself didnt see his own potential and was looking beyond rugby. Hed signed up to do a masters in real estate. Put on top of that an unfortunate injury record at his time in leinster, its not at all hard to see why he wasnt offered a contract.

It would have been foolish not to have a backup plan, based on the messaging he must have been getting from the Leinster coaches. That Scarlets opportunity could easily not have materialised. What if they just didn't need a lock signing for that season? What if Beirne's club coach didn't have Welsh connections?

I think the injury thing is overstated sometimes. I haven't trawled through injury reports for 2015/2016, but he seems to have had a realatively injury-free run in his season in the senior squad. It was his time in the academy that was blighted by injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Don't really know why we're relitigating Beirne but 1) he was injured a lot when at Leinster and 2) I don't think anyone at all, himself included, saw him turn into the player he became. None of the other provinces or anyone in the IRFU did either or else he wouldn't have been let go. You're never going to catch every single future international, people get things wrong from time-to-time.

Do Leinster/Cullen have a blind spot for locks, though? Thornbury was also let go. Yes, he was injured a lot, but you stick by your players if you judge them to have high potential - like they stuck by Ryan when he got his hamstring avulsion. Izuchukwu and Regan were judged not good enough for the academy (admittedly Ulster also weren't able to do anything with Regan). And now you've got Dunne and Murphy departing just when they're coming good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It’s also entirely possible that if he had stayed he’d have progressed to the level that he’s at too. We simply don’t know. At the end of the day Leinster had to make a call on whether or not to give a contract to a guy who had a poor injury profile and was up against a good deal of competition from experienced and upcoming players.

Its worth noting that Beirne made a name for himself in the back row. Not as a lock. Quite where he’d have gotten game time in the back row for Leinster I’m not sure. We had Conan, Heaslip, Leavy, Murphy, SOB, Ruddock, Dominic Ryan and VDF all in the senior squad at the time. His game time in the back row would have been limited, and would have limited time for guys like Leavy and VDF as well.

Even at lock there was decent competition. Triggs, Toner, McCarthy, Kearney and Molony were all in place at the time with a certain James Ryan coming through the ranks.

Its hard to see how we could have afforded him the time and opportunities that Scarlets gave him given the level of competition he would have been up against. And when you add in his injury profile it really wasn’t that shocking a decision to let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I know this is just a giant trolling expedition but the fact that these guys can only ever bring Beirne up as evidence of Leinster's failings in player development just proves how well the coaching and academy staff are doing, year on year.

One player missed in ten years is OK I think.

• Advertisement

Made his name as a backrow? In his first season with the Scarlets he started three games at 6, and was the bench backrow once. That's versus 14 starts at lock, and wearing 19 four times.

I suppose relative to the gametime he was afforded at Leinster his gametime in the backrow for the Scarlets looks like quite a lot. Cullen gave him four bench appearances for 5, 11, 7 and 16 minutes.

Advertisement