Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

There are some tweets on how Renault sold the Factory, lock stock and barrel for the princely sum of 1 Ruble, and they were making the point that what was a major financial loss for Renault , was a major financial gain for Russia, but what they are forgetting is that it has long being standard Russian business model to invite foreign businesses into Russia and to get their businesses up and running, once that's done, the Russians take over the business completely, and kick out the original Company. When they don't do this, it means that they are too dependent on the parent company. Watch what will happen the Renault production lines now, when the parts stop arriving and they start shutting down, one after another as the supply lines dry up.

Sure they do, better than anyone else I'd say, but the official narrative is that everything is fine, all going to plan in fact, could nit be better. And that story cannot even discussed, never mind contradicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

This surgery post May 9th is growing traction. If he does go under the knife he will be very vulnerable. A lot of people are loosing a lot of money because of putins war.

I doubt very much that there are 12 in support of every Russian soldier in Ukraine.....or even half that Nr.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

#Israeli mercenaries are fighting together with #Azov Nazis in #Ukraine,” #Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman #Zakharova

so the nazis and the jews are fighting russia together now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Forgive me and others on this site for not giving much credence to the man who is head of an institution who was responsible for some of the most heinous crimes against children and society, who tried their upmost to cover it all up. Responsible for some of the darkest and shameful periods in this countrys history.

Yes I will not be giving him much credence at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gladvimpaker

Our over indulgence and reliance on others wasn't going to end well. Look at all the industry we had during the 80's and 90's especially the Shannon free zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Apparently Zakharova got several digs in at Israel during the press conference. Not sure what has fuelled all this, but it seems Israel itself is now seen as being full of Nazis and no friend of Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Apparently a factory that was producing Russian language text books for schools that were in occupied Ukraine Burned down down last night in Russia 🔥

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Israel have been more enthusiastic of late about supporting Ukraine, largely with non-military aid. Russia is feeling jilted and lashing out with jibes they know will be considered offensive. It's right out of the petulant teenager's handbook!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Does the pope ever wonder,as I have done, why his boss,God, doesn't put an end to all this war and human suffering. I don't need to hear about this free will horse ****, I just wonder why he doesn't make an appearance and stop it. Same goes for Allah and all the other supreme powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bluedex

The 80's and 90's are not exactly poster boy decades for economic prosperity.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@Ceramic - I think the broader west has been naive about the notion that all countries naturally tend towards democracy and open, liberal societies. They simply don’t. That’s a largely a product of the European enlightenment era thinking and it doesn’t apply everywhere.

I wouldn't say the West has been naive at all. It's quite normal to expect other countries to want to live with freedom in liberal societies where the endeavours of your efforts can reap rewards, and your freedom of speech is not punished by half a lifetime in prison or death. It's hardly a product of the "European enlightenment era thinking" as you put it. It's what all citizens of the world would aspire to want... but the rulers/governments of certain countries prevent them from having it.

@Ceramic - Some countries will continue to tend towards king like leadership systems and you can see that clearly in Russia and quite a few other places where that’s always been the political culture.

That fact is purely down to money, and not a continuation of tradition and political culture as you infer. Putin is a billionaire. All of his inner circle and hundreds of oligarchs are either billionaires or close to it. Then you have the next level down... all wealthy and living in luxury in Moscow and other major cities. These are the people who keep Putin in power, simply because almost all their wealth is from corrupt means. All Russian public utilities have been bled dry. Huge sums in the hundreds of billions have mysteriously vanished into the pockets of the elite.

Then you have the other 140 million or so of the Russian population. Recent figures showed that over 20 million Russian people lived in poverty. The figure is likely much, much higher than that. All of these 140 million people have no say in anything. I am sure they would welcome the living standards of the West and the freedoms that go with it. Instead they eke out an existence that's more akin to medieval times.

They can't vote for change as elections are corrupt, opposition candidates are either imprisoned or assassinated, and Putin has manipulated everything that's ensured he's stayed in power for over 20 years. If you protest then you risk 15 years in prison for holding up even a blank piece of paper, or even worse you just disappear for good.

@Ceramic - They seek a “good king” or a “powerful king” not a representative democracy.

Nonsense.

They seek a fair life. It's something they don't get in Putin's Russia because Russia is a country you dare not complain in. All these figures about most of Russia supporting the war are nonsense. People are too damn scared to say anything different because they'd be immediately arrested.

If an open election overseen by outside officials were to be conducted in Russia, with no fear of reprisals to voters, then Putin would be out on his ass tomorrow, and within a decade Russia would be most of the way along the road to becoming a true democratic nation - with the right leadership of course. Putin and his cronies prevent this. And money is the reason.

Ordinary Russians don't seek a "good or powerful king". They're no different to you or I. They seek freedom from oppression and fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

@goldenmick, unfortunately for 'ordinary Russians', the only way to seek freedom is to emigrate.

Otherwise they must make whatever bargain with the dictatorship they can. But they won't find that freedom at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gladvimpaker

I suppose it was prosperity for those who worked in a factory and getting great wages, production bonuses and it got them through tough times. I'm told factory wages are only one third of what they were. Minimum wage in a lot of cases, the recruiting agencies are coining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Ordinary Russians don't seek a "good or powerful king". They're no different to you or I. They seek freedom from oppression and fear.

A large majority of them, including those living here, do support Putin and this war.

I've no love for Israel but they're one of the most powerful middle powers around (pointing nukes at European cities helps, see also Russia) and if Russia are stupid enough to push them towards Ukraine then that's good with me.

I understand that and I've not said any different. Change will have to come from within.

My point was in challenging the other poster who believes Russia leans towards a king like leadership system because that's always been the political culture. That's wrong on many levels, not least because the power structure and oppression in Russia totally prevents political change taking place, and thus democracy will never stand a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

This madness sounds like it's coming directly from Putin himself in a deluded state of medicated paranoia.

No self respecting communications official with delegated authority would put out such a statement. It has to be under orders from the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Excellent thread from this guy on why he thinks that Russia will not fully mobilize in May. Also a possible view on what Putin will do next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭wandererz

That's the reason I don't live in the UK.

There seems to be a high rate of sudden death syndrome there.

Thankfully I moved away in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Entirely plausible, certain European nations have made it clear that a peace deal means lifting of sanctions, which is code for pressuring Ukraine into accepting a bum deal so long as Putin stops trying to advance. They can then get back to doing business with Putin and he can plan to have another crack at the rest of Ukraine like he did in 2014-2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

So called "peace deal" with the tyrant would leave Europe very unstable for years to come, with a madman on its borders planning his next invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

With some justification, the West can be blamed for the Russia's current behaviour. It is the West, and the USA in particular, who gave support to Yeltsin in 1993.

Why did the West backed Yeltsin's ambitions to neuter the parliament and to grab almost dictatorial powers for himself? Because they were afraid of some disunited left-wing parties in the Russian parliament which were gaining in popularity two years into the "bandit capitalism" period under Yeltsin's rule. Were not for this support, Yeltsin would have to step down and the democracy in Russia could have a chance. Instead, the power in Russia got handed over to a small clique of men around the el presidente, with no checks or balances.

This historical failure to support the democracy in Russia in 1993 created the madman Putin.

@correct horse battery staple - my first time in Russia was in mid 90s they had plenty of freedoms then

So your little jaunt means your wee microcosm is representative of 150 million people?

Were you all over rural Russia I wonder? Did you visit every village, which would have taken you decades? Or more likely just seen a city or two.

And perchance it escaped your memory, Putin was not in charge of Russia then.

@victor8600 - With some justification, the West can be blamed for the Russia's current behaviour. 

What a ridiculous assumption.

And it's not Russia's current behaviour, it's Putin's current behaviour.

@victor8600 - This historical failure to support the democracy in Russia in 1993 created the madman Putin.

You don't create a madman. Craziness is already inherent in them.

It's the here and now that needs dealing with, not seeking to apportion blame by referral to events long gone, and which really have no bearing on the mental state of the lunatic who's threatening the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

He can declare victory all he wants and attempt to hold what limited territorial gains Russian forces have made, but Russia will remain under sanction and Ukraine will continue to receive heavy weapons. This is not a recipe for being able to consolidate gains made. Saying he's demilitarised Ukraine would look ridiculous to us, and awful fishy to many in Russia considering what Ukraine are getting for an arsenal right now. Funnily enough the concept of getting rid of the Azov battalion is something that I believe Zelenskyy would have been open to discussing back when we thought there was a chance of negotiation in all this.

It's really not been worth it for Putin, but this we know. Time for him to retire, or even better have a good long, long, long sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Interesting thread ;

seems a lot of Russian soldiers don’t want to fight this war and have gone home

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement