Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Well that just shows how bad my memory is so…..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Jesus lads you are arguing with a guy who is obsessed with Cullen, everyone is talking about did Leinster make a mistake and the one person,who has for years constantly sniped at Cullen, going so far as to call him a PR guy if I remember right, keeps saying Cullen. It’s his obsession and it’s just being fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sooooo. I heard Leinster have an important game on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

starting team?

1. Porter
    2. Kelleher
    3. Furlong
    4. Molony
    5. Ryan
    6. Doris
    7. JVDF
    8. Conan
    9. JGP
    10. Sexton
    11. Lowe
    12. Henshaw
    13. Ringrose
    14. JOB
    15. Keenan
    16. Sheehan
    17. Healy
    18. Mike A
    19. Baird
    20. Ruddock
    21. McGrath
    22. Byrne
    23. Larmour

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Conway started in both victories in the Challenge cup final and Pro12 final in 2013 before he left for Munster.

Lack of development wasnt Conways issue at Leinster, it was looking for a new challenge away from Leinster, and he had very strong connections to munster as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I just hate to see players leave and progress somewhere else. It's childish, I suppose. But there have been players that have done well elsewhere. Fair play to them. In Dunne's case. I think he could be another high level player.

But, on the other hand, it's great to see the lads getting frequent gametime. Look at Tom Daly! He's going well and playing week after week. He would probably been buried at Leinster, so it's good that he made the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Conway played plenty of games for Leinster up-to and including starts in finals and he just wasn't as good for Leinster as he went on to be for Munster. Maybe the change in environment suited him. I doubt anyone at Leinster, fans or internally, look at him as one that got away. He's been a huge success for Munster and good on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Player of the Month nominations: Ciaran Frawley, Hugo Keenan, Jamie Osborne.

Would probably go for Frawley myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Worth remembering that Conway was 21 when he played his last game for Leinster. Of course he got better after he left.

He was competing with the Kearneys, Nacewa, Fitzgerald and McFadden. You wouldn't blame him for leaving to get more opportunities.

• Advertisement

Conway was very close to signing for munster straight out of school

His father is a Cork man and his uncle played for munster.

His decision to move was not down to a lack of opportunity in leinster

Eagerly awaiting the Genge V Furlong matchup! Hopefully decent refereeing keeps Genge in line!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

My memory of it was he was too good not to be starting. Absolute sensational 20's strike rate.

I think Luke Fitzgerald and Isa (first time) retired soon after he announced it and everyone sort of thought the opportunity would have happened if he stayed.

Isa had notified Conway on the QT that he was retiring in an effort to keep him at Leinster. Conway wanted to move regardless.

It wasnt lack of opportunity which led to Conways moving from Leinster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

He got plenty of minutes that season but, iirc, he wasn’t a starter. I’d have to check the specifics but I’m pretty certain he started both those finals due to injuries elsewhere. In one, he wasn’t even originally named in the starting 15 but was called in due to injury.

It's got to be tough for some lads. Being as talented as Conway and not being a starter. I've always thought Conway is the best all round wing in Ireland. He's similar to Trimble, in respect to being a very proficient 2 way player. DK is also a very good 2 way player!

Ulster have a quandary coming ahead. Stockdale returns with Addison! Who sits? For me, McIlroy is that player who is an all round player. Leinster will have similar problems throughout the roster.

Players moving around to other provinces is ideal for the union. Certainly, from a Leinster perspective, J.O.B and Larmour are top quality players. Larmer will be if he can ever learn to field a garryowen. How do they get accommodated? Then there's T.O.B and possibly Russell emerging next year!

Conway did make the right move, imo. He's top rate and still has a long way to go. I think Tom Daly saved his career with his move and look at Prendergast!

Getting really nervous about this game now. Team pretty much picks itself right? Moloney to start in the second row? JOB to retain his spot on the wing? Front row, back row, half backs, centres, 2/3 of the back 3 are not up for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Luke Fitzgerald retired three years after Conway left.

He would have got plenty of opportunities if he'd stayed given Nacewa's retirement and the injury problems that Fitz and DK had. When we were picking Fanning, Mick McGrath and a one legged Lote Tuiqiri, we would have been very glad of him. But that's all hindsight, when he made his call he was at the back of a very long queue of excellent players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Conway is a funny one because it took him 4 years to nail down a place in the Munster starting XV. He joined in 2013 but it wasn't until 2017 that he became a guaranteed starter.

But at the end of the 2012/13 season (his last at Leinster) he had broken into the team and started both the Challenge Cup final and the Pro12 final. Granted Fitzgerald and Kearney were injured. So with Isa retiring and Fitz career blighted by injuries, Conway would have seen loads of game time with Leinster, and bare in mind he was only 22 at this stage too.

So while it worked out for him at Munster, I reckon he'd have developed faster had he stayed at Leinster.

Didn't realise Lancaster stayed behind from the SA trip. Was wondering who would have been training the first team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

S.O.B possibly replacing Leamy! That would be a great start for him, if he wants to get into coaching!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Same IO, very nervous for this one, just feel hard done by with the COVID/French mess. Really hope we pull it off now and keep going.

The covid really destroyed this year's tournament. The last round was nuts. I hope it goes back to the old format.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Anyone going? I'm heading over with my sister on the Saturday red-eye to Birmingham. Bed early tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Leinster A playing an AIL XV friday night in Donnybrook

Leinster Rugby ‘A’ team:

15. Max O’Reilly

14. Chris Cosgrave

13. Daniel Hawkshaw

12. Ben Brownlee

11. Rob Russell

10. Charlie Tector

9. Michael Moloney

1. Michael Milne

2. Lee Barron

3. Vakh Abdaladze CAPTAIN

4. Brian Deeny

5. Conor O’Tighearnaigh

6. Diarmuid Mangan

7. Martin Moloney

8. Seán O’Brien

Replacements: 

16. John McKee

17. Jack Boyle

18. Tom Connolly

19. Ruairi Clarke

20. Daniel Leane

21. Fintan Gunne

22. Sam Prendergast

23. Aitzol Arenzana-King

24. Dylan O’Grady

AIL Club XV team:

15. Alex Molloy (Old Wesley RFC)

14. Sean Galvin (Lansdowne FC)

13. Stephen Madigan (Lansdowne FC)

12. Justin Leonard (Old Belvedere RFC)

11. Craig Adams (Terenure College RFC)

10. Aran Egan (Dublin University FC)

9. Richie Fahy (UCD RFC)

1. Adam Coyle (Naas RFC)

2. Levi Vaughan (Terenure College RFC)

3. Ben Griffin (Clontarf FC)

4. JJ O’Dea (Old Wesley RFC)

5. Cormac Daly (Clontarf FC)

6. Harrison Brewer (Terenure College RFC) CAPTAIN

7. Ronan Watters (St Mary’s College RFC)

8. Conal Boomer (Terenure College RFC)

Replacements:

16. Luke Thompson (Lansdowne FC)

17. Harry Noonan (Old Wesley RFC)

18. Luke Rigney (Shannon RFC)

19. Jamie Berrisford (Dublin University FC)

20. Josh Pim (Old Wesley RFC)

21. Oscar Cawley (Naas RFC)

22. Caolan Dooley (Terenure College RFC)

23. Jack Keating (Old Belvedere RFC)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

No better prep for the Leaving Cert than a Leinster A game ha.

Best of luck Fintan Gunne. Hope he does well

21. Fintan Gunne

He is still in school, played SCT for Michaels this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Advertisement