Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie Taylor v. Amanda Serrano

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Either way, my original point that you’re overestimating the reach of boxing and the Olympics stands

And none of this relates to Taylor selling out Croke Park…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

absolute horse ****, no way in hell they'd even try for a October event outdoors in Ireland ,

The second they mentioned Croke Park after the fight you knew it couldn't happen this year, its to soon for a summer turn around and Autumn / winter is a no go for promoters not worth the risk ,,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Of course her profile is among people interested in boxing. But there are tens of millions around the world interested in boxing. Taylor is probably the best known female fighter in the world, to say she hasn't a profile outside of Ireland is just incorrect. Her fights have been on Sky Sports and DAZN, millions and millions of people outside of this country have watched her.

I hope they don't try and have the fight in Croke Park late this year, our weather just isn't conducive, it could be a fiasco. April or May next year would be fine, the interest will still be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I am glad someone sees this like me.....I thought I was going crazy.....the way some folks are presenting this, you'd swear that only us Irish ever heard of Katie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Although a sports event, it's not GAA so I suspect it will require a license. Crocker is being used intensively this summer for non- gaa events so they may not get permission for yet another one. There have been no pro fights here since the regency hotel due to the inability to get insurance, so that needs to be negotiated too. That said KT will attract a different broader crowd, so that hurdle wont be as high.

If they go for croke park, it will need to be the summer - in order to give themselves the best chance of filling it. A half full croker definitely struggles for atmosphere. Filling a stadium at at least €75 a head is no easy task.

I think it's more likely they will go for Aviva, or if it must be in winter, the three arena. Both of those venues are superior to croke park for the spectator for this kind of event tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Mossely or Ochigawa would be good fights. I guess Ochigawa can’t happen right now given her nationality. Mossely doesn’t hit too hard so I would like to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anything4883

Its obviously a rematch next - no other fights will be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The Aviva is absolutely a much better fit. But it will all come down to $$$

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

I genuinely don't understand why people cannot understand just how high profile the fight was on Saturday. The media interest was meant to of been on same level if not more than AJ wlad fight

Yep. It was really a huge fight. Hyped up big time, and a global fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was talking about Serrano in case you missed that.

I watched the Ring podcast on this. Michael Montero says he scored the fight at the time and then again after watching a reply afterwards and had it 6-4 to Taylor both times despite changing scoring on various rounds. (First time he gave Taylor, 1,2,3,8,9 ,10 and second time he gave her 1,2,4,7,8,9). He basically says that 3,4,7 and 10 were tossup rounds and that even 6 could have been scored either way.

He also says the judges scoring it 7-3 to Taylor were wrong but also criticises Chris Mannix for giving 3 of the first 4 rounds to Serrano (despite the fact that Mannix ended up scoring it 5-5).

Basically what I take from this is that scoring it 7-4 or even 8-2 Taylor was perfectly legit.

Serrano really only won the 5th clearly and edged the 6th but everything else you could legitimately give to Taylor. I definitely think the first Persoon fight was closer and I scored that one to Taylor too.

People are clouded by the fact that the clearest round of the fight was the 5th to Serrano but that only gets her 1 point.

Yep. Folks hung up on the very strong rd 5. Then takes time to shake that feeling, and it can influence how you view and interpret what comes after. Rd 5 was 10-9 only, although 10-8 on one card. I simply scored each round like it as the first round, as the judges do.

Someone very wisely said that everyone agrees Taylor won round 1, 8 and 9 while Serrano won 5 and 6 clearly. That makes it 3-2 on clear rounds to Taylor and you can really score the other 5 how you like.

Could be. Wouldn't want to be trying to run cross-country and box at the same time, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Does anyone know why Serrano appeared to be wearing regular runners in the fight? It looked like they weren't giving the same support that boxing shoes would.

I don't for a minute buy the talk of a Croke Park October fight. It is complete posturing to keep the Irish fans happy with no genuine intention of making it happen. Back to NY in December far more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Katie made it clear she wants to fight here. They'll fill the place and the atmosphere will be electric. I'd say it's 99% certain to happen. The GAA will be delighted to have Ireland's most popular sportsperson advertising Croke Park.

I really do hope you are right but it's a hell of a risk if they are targeting October. Not ideal for those attending or the worldwide PPV audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

There won’t be a worldwide PPV audience. It’ll be on DAZN

Looking forward to the first Irish politician to call for it to be on RTE though

An October bout with require both women to start a training camp in June at the latest. I guess its doable but its tough on them with the amount of damage they took.

No it would not...training camps are anywhere from 8-12 weeks really

While I still hope Katie retires I think she will probably improve for a rematch.

She won the 2nd Persoon fight much more clearly and seemed to have learned from her mistakes in the first fight.

If she can just avoid doing what she did in round 5 it should be a fairly clear victory.

Hmm, but Persoon is a fighter a lot easier to learn from and improve for....

Serrano has a lot more technical skills, as well as the proven ability now to get to and hurt Katie.

Saying if she can avoid doing what she did isn't at all easy. Katie tried pretty much all night to box smart, move, hit and not get hit; but you can't always do that. Like I said before, her defense is not like Mayweather's or Toney's, so she needs to rely on feet and movement much more.

It was Katie's heart and guts and fight when she was trapped and needed to fight/survive that likely won her scores in the judges' minds.

For most the fight Katie negated Serrano with her movement, feet, spoiling and scoring. She juts had a few moment where she was forced to fight.

Katie's biggest weaknesses for me (for Searrano) are Katie's lack of physical presences/strength, and her lack of any real power. Serrano seemed to boss the flow more, and was physically stronger. Katie is not physically that durable/strong

Katie could win a rematch, but it would be a very risky fight in my view.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Katie should move on from this - she does not want to take that beating again, even though she won. She should cash in on a Croke park gig with 80'000 people and then retire.

She has achieved more than enough in the ring.

DAZN announced today that 1.5 million watched the fight on its platform on Saturday

Be interesting to see the numbers for Canelo this week; probably less due to U.S. and Canada needing to pay quite a whack to watch it

Katie should rematch Serrano in Croker.

Katie is clearly the better boxer and will have learned loads from that fight.

Rematch in Croker and sail off into the sunset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Yeah, I thought the fact it’d be on DAZN meant there’s be no pay per views as such. But then I heard a woman on 2FM say a rematch probably wouldn’t be in Dublin because it’d be hard sell PPVs. Does DAZN charge for certain fights as well as charging a subscription in the US?

Advertisement