Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Pretty poor episode, going nowhere, the whole Gus house thing was just silly, it's like they need to find more and more elaborate things to entertain the viewer.

And lets throw Spooge in - why do they need to do this ? like showing us where he got the tacky statue of liberty blow up doll, do we need an explanation for everything ?

This show peaked last season.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Just saw episode 4. It's building nicely......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jimmy dressed as Howard was a beautifully absurd comic reveal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I think this is deliberate though. Jimmy and Kim never seemed a good match. All they had in common was their humble beginnings and work ethic. They have no reason to be together beyond the scraps they keep getting into. It's a hollow relationship, but some relationships are like that though, although they usually burn out.

It's looking like Kim is going to take a swerve away from these shenanigans after her meeting with Ed Begley Jnr, but my prediction is that she is actually more toxic than Jimmy and may end up in cahoots with Lalo because Jimmy will not be enough of a bad boy for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

plus there was actual chemistry between herself and Lalo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Is that the first episode directed by Rhea Seehorn?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Howard has good taste in music

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Such a dull episode. Zero interest in the scheming against Howard stuff. Neither plausible nor entertaining.

I’m sorry I ever bothered with this show, never got going, never stood up on its own two feet, but we’re near the finish line now so I’ll stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It peaked last season? After episode three was acclaimed for being one of the best episodes in the whole show?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

So how about that underground lab ? it's still unfinished right ?

Has the concrete been poured yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

More than fair enough if you don't like the show, but the suggestion that it never stood on its own two feet? Honestly, I'm not sure I've seen many spin offs or prequels that have so confidently established their own tone and identity, even with all the additional Breaking Bad callbacks in the later seasons :)

Wouldn't agree with it being the best, the desert episodes last season for me were probably the best BCS ... now I rewatched ep 4 and found it a little better, I made the mistake of getting up at 3AM to watch BCS live on AMC on the dodgy box ... jesus the add breaks bloody ruin it - kill the flow.

I'll stick to Netflix from now on ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Very nice episode we get to chill out abit after the strong first 3 episodes, 9 episodes to go :'( And what a fan service episode it is!

The Jimmy cosplay Howard is hilarious, and ye our hooker girl is backkk (we actually just started to watch BB from season1 since missus hasnt seen BB).

Something inside me moved when Kim finally met Mike after 5 seasons aha! And ya...my heart dropped after the scene because it would be surprising if Lalo doesnt come to them and...i just hope Kim wont die (this is a mini death flag :'().

So ya all the BB stuff we seen wahhhh! Not too much, overall just a nice touch, rather subtle. Other than what i said above - Gus house, Jimmy office and how he became instant famous for the crooks aha.

A rather chilling and pleasant episode - semi filler episode but very key information exchanged (Mike, Gus). I think this is the calm before storm, will we see Lalo next episode lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The Lalo/Kim wedding is basically confirmed.

It is interesting to see different viewing experience really.

To me they are so natural on screen as a couple, is just the...comfy and trustful attitude they have. So ya they are not like the usual TV/movie portrayed 'couple chemistry', i can see that actually. But overall Jimmy is the charmer and his biggest strength is his mouth and words (and ye his genius moments) - I dont have a second doubt that Kim is attracted to him for what he is throughout the seasons ahah. I mean, isnt it more 'real' to see Kim/Jimmy just like the couples we see in real life ?

And to me...Kim is mortified by Lalo (when Lalo came to their place), she was frightened as hell lol (still managed to look calm). Ye Kim good acting.

So ya, interesting really.

Post edited by seraphimvc on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Loved the scene between Mike and Kim. Saul being Howard was fantastic too.

Episode was definitely a come-down after last week though. The Gus house stuff felt needlessly overdone, and the insanely quick turnaround of every lawyer and employee in the Courthouse knowing to shun Saul also just felt like it could be more subtle. But there's always a few slower episodes mid-seasons of BB and BCS which are setting up for big payoffs, so I'm still enjoying seeing the pieces being put in place.

yes! I have always thought since the beginning that Kim is the kind of character attracted to intelligence and also 'bad boy' - so that's what Jimmy is. Not the macho ribbed guy but sleazy charmer with words and evil-ish plans aha. And ya thats exactly what we have been gradually revealed that Kim is ruthless and maybe even more dangerous than Jimmy - they are perfect match to each other - well if not perfect then their match makes some interesting tv for audience ha.

Yes, the little nitpick indeed the attitude change of the courthouse happened too fast - and the crooks find him immediately right after.

The episode really feels like a semi filler episode (some fan service) to settle a bunch of nonvital details - the calm before storm ah...

I think it definitely says a lot that Mike approached Kim about the guys following her, as there's clearly guys following Saul too but he hasn't noticed, and like Mike said, she's made of stronger stuff. Kim is better at being Saul than Jimmy is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

they have zero sexual chemistry , I dont mind them being best buds but as a romantic couple , ive never seen a less convincing pair

as for last night episode , I actually liked it , I liked how Howards being portrayed as not being a legal world robot was made evident by him visiting a therapist to discuss his problems at home etc , as others have already alluded to , This show allows almost everyone to be presented in multi faceted ways , obviously Gus still has ice pumping through his veins , he even died towards the end of BB like a machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Yes for a series that develops some themes so slowly, the courthouse and "satellite office" light-switch moments were silly. It might have been more interesting seeing how his work with all these small time criminals develops

i do tend to agree with you on the 'zero sexual chemistry' lol. I mean, it would be rather disappointing if they dont have freaky sex right...

Bob actually has a fit body - see Nobody movie, so hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I liked that episode, it was slower than normal but not all episodes can be at the pace of E3. Agree with others that it was a semi filler episode but was good to see them tie things in to Breaking Bad like getting our first glimpse of Sauls office where he meets Walt and Jesse for the first time. Im looking forward to finding out how the inflatable Statue of Liberty gets from the Kettlemans tax shack out in the desert to Sauls new office.

I enjoyed the conversation between Gus and Mike in his house when Gus was dresssing down Mike for sending him one of his men to protect him but the man had only worked two weeks in McDonalds and he wasnt up to "Pollos standard". Theres a humourous juxtaposition that Gus is running a meth empire but in his cover story he also wants to make sure that Los Pollos Hermanos has the best fried chicken in the southwest. It was the same in Breaking Bad, he used to be always walking around Los Pollos Hermanos wiping down tables and checking the frying oil wasnt dirty. And this was set against him running a huge meth distribution operation from the laundry. I'm hoping that we see a repeat of the Los Pollos Hermanos television ad at some stage

Im wondering are we going to get an episode with a protracted court scene with Jimmy and Howard? And also when Walt enters into the BCS timeline, him and Jesse are set to make an appearance at some point. I was thinking it would be good if Saul was defending Jesse in court but dont think that fits as in BB it appeared they were meeting for the first time ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

I agree on the chemistry part. It’s like they are brother and sister or a pair of homosexualists being married for show in a bygone era

I disagree regarding their relationship. We saw from early Season 1 that they've always had that connection and it's not built on lust or passion, but largely they have always just been that comfortable with each other. We haven't seen a lot of "relationship" stuff from them because they just segued so easily into that role together. But I think we've seen a lot of genuine moments of love, tenderness and care between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I thought it was a great episode. It is shot so well. Great acting, camera angles, music… so much to like. Especially after having to struggle through a few episodes of Ozark which is a breaking bad knock off without the magic.

I just wish Vince Gilligan had worked on the x files reboot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Jimmy and Kim’s relationship is absolutely credible.

it is one of the most believable relationships on TV.

I was expecting this season to open with the usual update on Gene in Omaha and guessed there would be a full episode on him at some point before the end as I doubted a segwment would not be enough to reveal Jimmy’s ultimate fate. More sure of that episode now.

There is a lot in Breaking Bad that I don’t remember and as as I enjoyed Saul in it He is one of the aspect where my memory is the most foggy.

I’ve given some thought to why Kim was okay with Jimmy harassing Howard and why she now wants to push it further when there must be a dozen other ways to get the Sandpiper payment. The opening sequence of season 6 seems to confirm my suspicions.

Kim loves Jimmy and really enjoys his dodgy side and some scheming herself on behalf of her clients but she knows Jimmy can’t control himself, that he will come to a bad end and that he will drag her down with him just like Howard says. She is going to double cross Jimmy over the Sandpiper money and leave him. She doesn’t care one way or the other if someone else suffers - Going through Howard is simply the easiest and quickest way.

I shall depart this thread now until I they to the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Where are you on Ozark and it is worth the investment? I watched the first two series and then life got in the way. It was good but slow enough burning at that point so not sure whether to go back to it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

It's pretty poor tbf. First season or two was watchable enough. But it became pretty preposterous and increasingly badly written.

In no rush to watch the last part, but probably will as I've watched till now.

It's increasingly difficult to find a well written show.

Advertisement