Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It sounded more aspirational than anything. I would expect the next 24hr route to be one of the G-spine routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

A proposed schedule for the N4 has been posted for staff perusal in Harristown garage. The Mon-Fri schedule would see 24 buses in service.

Perhaps the most important bit is the nine night duties every day - yes, in case this hasn't been announced before, the N4 will be a 24-hour route. The handover times would suggest a 30-minute nighttime frequency similar to the other routes already offering this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

wow! i never even considered that an orbital route would be 24 hours , but the more i think of it , the areas that it covers it makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I knew that Anne Graham along with Hugh Creegan would be the main people to listen to when they have the official leeway in how to proceed with these matters regarding public transport infrastructure and the like. They are not always perfect tbf albeit with the staff on their ranks. But they are making great attempts to improve the situation bit by bit even though some of it can be frustrating to deal with at times.

I would say that the Dublin Commuter Coalition will give them a very big roasting on how the NTA are deal with all of the pressure of getting these projects out especially when looking at all of the elements of BusConnects during the Covid pandemic. The NTA had to overcome huge challenges within the current period to actually try and get these projects out as fast as they could to members of the public.

When we look at the Spine-C rollout to date; the various news items about the low passenger numbers are using the routes are not a good start to people who live in Lucan, Leixlip, Maynooth & Adamstown. It's not particularly good to hear that the W4/W6 are now not due to go out until April 2023. The rollout of the N4/N6 being delayed until late May of this year is still not good news either even though they were meant to be out at the start of this year.

The constant changing around of the phases that was undertaken for the new bus routes to launch in Dublin that was also done in-between that time has been done in a very haphazard fashion as well. When you talk about the actual phases for these new routes to be rolled out even though they get switched around to new dates all the time makes it a head-wreck for the passenger who actually has to use these routes which makes the perception of it so far to be very poor.

Members of the public who may rely on these new routes later on could be very frustrated with the lack of movement on the ground to actually get them out in their areas on time. That could also open the NTA up to a lot of criticism of the members of the transport committee which will take place just after lunchtime. The leap card 90 minute fare is a step in the right direction to allow passengers pay for cheaper journeys for their public transport in GDA.

The committee hearing is live on Oireachtas TV today at 1:30pm if anyone wants to have a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It’s a bit difficult to roll out new routes when both operators find it tricky to recruit the staff to actually operate them or when the bus delivery schedule is pushed back.

Expecting things to remain the same post-Covid when there is a massive hole in the labour market isn’t realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Positive indication that the O bus will be 24hr . Very welcome.

That would make a lot of sense - it’s a key link between the spines and it replaces parts of some pretty busy cross-city routes.

It will be interesting to see if the N6 also goes to 24 hour operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Wow, the taxi drivers will be really on the back foot in the next year or two. 24hr orbitals is impressive and something that is actually frustratingly absent I'm other European capitals, even in London!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,755 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are massive taxi shortages as it is, if the significant lift already provided by the 24h routes we have hadn't come in it'd be insanity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

iirc, FreeNow's General Manager even mentioned in a recent interview how Dublin needs better night-time public transport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

The 155 and 46a going 24-hour would be incredibly ridiculous, the 24-hour resources could be so much better used. I'd hazard a guess and say the 27 will go 24-hour, considering it's not meant to change to the D3 until 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

How would it be any more a waste of resources than making the 27 24hr. I'd agree the 27 should be 24hr too but I don't see the advantage of making it 24hr before the 46a/155. My only argument is I'd think it would make more sense to make the 7/a 24hr than the 46a as the 7/a would cover more areas such as Ballsbridge, Blackrock and Sallynoggin whereas the 46a would cover much the same areas as the 155.

It was a strange answer by Coyne to the question about the 155.

He did say it was aspirational to get the 155 and 46a fastracked to be 24/7 but that it was the NTA to make that decision.

I got the impression from his response that he thought that the BusConnects replacement for the 46a/155 was years away .

Everyone wants the 24 hour service where they are. Someone in Bray or Deansgrange would clearly disagree with your opinion.

I don’t see the rollout of 24 hour routes happening outside of the BusConnects phasing, as the whole process is controlled by the NTA now.

Ray was expressing an opinion as I read it, but the E spine is due to happen in 2023 in any case which will cover those two routes which will be replaced by the E1 and E2 in the main.

Incidentally, the D Spine is also due in 2023 along with the F Spine, and not 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Waste is the wrong word, misallocation I suppose would be better, considering the 46a and 155 share so much of the same route. A basic allocation for all quadrants of the city makes more sense to me than focusing on serving the 15 or so bus stops on the 46a between the station and the N11. But then with the 27, you'd be doubling up with the 15, so... much to ponder

• Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Trivial matter in the middle of the bigger picture, but what entity would a person contact regarding the siting of bus stops on a route does anyone know?

This is relation to an elderly relative who uses the no 26 from Chapelizod to Liffey Valley regularly. There is no bus stop from Whitethorn stop 4796 until the entrance to Liffey Valley, a distance of around 1.5 k. He cannot browse around Halfords or anything in the Retail Park, nor can he stroll to the mega Tesco in LV without a rather long walk and he is unable to do it.

Just want to check for him with the right people that either it will stay the same or not going forward.

That would be a matter for the NTA id say . Probably best to email them and ask .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Halfords to stop 2686 is 300 metres and from Tesco to the same stop is 400 metres. LV bus terminus will be closer to the pedestrian bridge. Road works are currently in place. Hopefully, a current LV will stay and a new one on the opposite side of the road will be installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,955 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thanks. But that stop you mention is on his way back to Chappo. There is no outbound stop anywhere near Tesco or Halfords. That is his problem. He knows about the new bus hub, but no one really knows where it will be, but as you say somewhere near the N4 footbridge within the SC itself. That would be an even longer trot to Halfords!

Anyway, I was just wondering, and I'll see what NTA have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Just double checked and you're very right! I through a bus use a bus stop on the opposite side of the road towards LV but that's not the case because the stop is too close to the junction and the 26 has to take the inner lane to make a right turn. There definitely should be a bus stop just after the turn, somewhere between Curries and McDonald's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

"but no one really knows where it will be, but as you say somewhere near the N4 footbridge within the SC itself."

Just for reference, the new hub will be in the centre of the section below circled in red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Just jumping in to add my well done if the N4 does go over to 24 operation.

If it works out that they have the N4 crossing the Swords Road say 10 minutes before a 41 is due outbound, it could open up some very good €2.00 trips to the airport for people right across the Northside. Quick change there and off to the airport. It also brings in various new connections like never before.

I think we're looking at a pattern of x.00 and x.30 departures from termini (handovers at DCU are scheduled in the ballpark of x.05ish, so I'd say they're giving about 35 minutes from either terminus to DCU at night time - it definitely sounds about right eastbound). Nighttime 41s are supposed to take 9-10 minutes from Lwr Abbey Street to stop 1620, so while I think Blanch-bound N4 (about 32 minutes? say x.02/x.32) to a Swords-bound 41 (x.09/x.39) with a minimum transfer should be well doable, a Spencer Dock-bound N4 (about 37-38 minutes? say x.07/x.37) to a Swords-bound 41 will be a tight if not outright risky connection - not forgetting the walking distances between stops 212/215/237 and 1620!

Of course we can hardly say anything until info about the N4 is actually released properly, this is just my conjecture based on what I've been shown.

If they are leaving Spencer Dock at xx:30, it would be fair to assume that you would easily make the :00 departure on the 41 at Sword's Road stop 1620 for the airport. I would have the off peak driving time on a bus for that of around 25-27 minutes. Leaving around 14-12 minutes to hop off, and walk to stop 1620 for a Swords bound bus.

Coming the other direction, the walk from stop 212 to 1620 is very short and handy to changeover. It would be great to have these night time opportunities for workers and passengers to get to the airport. Naturally there are a lot of other journeys that can be made, but the airport is a huge employment and travelling hub.

Note also that there are new stops going in on the Swords Road that should be served by both the 16, 33, 41/b/c/d and the N6, making interchange easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

There isn't enough room for the N6 to stop at the same stops as the Swords Road routes tho, do you mean that they will be positioned closer to each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was happy to hear from yesterday that both the O & the N4 will be 24 hours a day. I wonder could this outcome of a 24 hour timetable extend to the S & W orbital bus routes as well if that was doable. Another thing that I would like to ask is if GAI were to get the notification that the N6 will be 24 hours. Would they have the resources to manage that job on the ground from their depot in Ballymount.

Well perhaps they may modify the junction to allow the N6 turn right from the left lane. But there are new stops going in on the Swords Road between Santry Avenue and Coolock Lane.

I presume those new stops would be around here? Scope to provide a bus bay, that then gets its own right signal for them to pull out of the stops and for the N6 to makes its associated right turns.

• Advertisement

Yes - I have no doubt the Spencer Dock to Airport/Swords connection will be possible - the Blanch/Finglas to Airport/Swords one appears to be tight, however! ;)

EDIT. Big fat correction - nighttime Blanch departures are proposed at x.25/x.55, with DCU handovers proposed 32-33 minutes later. Nah, it'll make it quite well in time for the 41s, and provided the A spine retains decent timings once it kicks in, it really provides no reason for a 24-hour N8.

Post edited by TranslatorPS on

Advertisement