Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Multinational tech firm Poly has today signed a lease for a major new Centre of Excellence at Crown Square in Mervue.The new centre will cover Europe, Middle East and Africa, and will also support 200 local high-skilled jobs over the next five years.

It’ll also house Poly’s Research and Development lab, designed to support 65 offices around the world.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Passing Abbvie in Knocknacarra it looked quiet; all shut up, sign gone, so wind down complete.

Also Mike Ashley has bought Corrib Centre according to Sunday Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Their sign has been on the front of the building for a while now. Fun fact, they are a communication partner for the Red Bull F1 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

which HP i believe are acquiring (poly).....

HP as in hewlett packard, not HP the sauce.

Could we see the last bit of HP move out and over to the Poly site in that case? There's really not much of HP left in Ballybrit, with Boston Scientific swallowing up everything at that site, even parts of HP's new building

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,627 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Lidl planning to open in Claregalway. Article unclear if planning is granted https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/129210/100-job-boost-for-claregalway-as-lidl-announce-plans-for-new-store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I believe Abbvie workers have been given the option to work in Westport. Not sure that will suit many people.

Sports Direct megastore incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ratracer

I wonder will M&S just abandon Galway or find a new store if Sports Direct take over all that centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Frasers Group have bought the centre, doesn't mean they'll turf out existing tenants in favour of expanding one of their own stores. Especially as it already has an abundance of space for the sh1t it sells.

It's definitely gone, confirmed by a neighbouring business. Personal reasons by all accounts. The lads from Harry's are taking the unit and making it into a coffee/sandwich place apparently. A real loss to town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Interestingly, the times article on them buying the centre list "Meteor" as one of the tenants, either a reference to the masts on the top of the building, or an indication of whom is taking one of the two vacant units at the front, but seems a bad place for an eir store.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

There is a new CHOPPED logo and lettering on the wall next to the stairs down to where they had a location that they just up and left(shades of Marie Celeste) at the start of the pandemic. I had assumed they had left, & hadn't seen things done that way before.

Are they coming back to the same location? It has just been used as a public gallery for the last few months so I was really surprised to see that yesterday

I would have thought they would have been required to remove logos etc if that is 2 years old and they haven't been paying rent etc since. otherwise was it covered by something til now

Post edited by Stevolende on

Don't they have a spot in the Latin Quarter close to The Dáil?

I think they used to have a couple of branches in food courts . Like one in that Londis across from UCHG and one in the one opposite the Brothers of Charity.

Not sure if those are still there or if they pulled out of Galway totally. I assumed that the way that they pretty much vanished leaving the branch unattended inidcated they had left on not great terms so was surprised to see the logo up there. Did think they would have been required to remove a logo if it was up when they disappeared. So surprised to see one there when i went past yesterday. Thought that wall was blank before. Now wondering if I'd been distracted by navigating stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

That's HPE (enterprise) in ballybrit not HP, the company split several times over last few years. HPE and the other offshoots not going anywhere. At least in the short term.

So essentially HP is making a return to Galway if they acquire poly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Redo91

Passed the Dean this evening and noticed signage for Elephant & Castle on the ground floor. Looked up their website and mentioned a location in Galway was opening soon. I have never eaten there but it is supposed to be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Thanks Ben. That's a huge loss as I think it was a fantastic bakery. Their sausage rolls were very, very tasty and also huge! They also had a baked chocolate cheesecake which was delicious. The fact that you could see into the bakery itself was cool as well.

A big culinary loss for sure. That cheesecake was a thing of beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

It's a pity alright. I still miss going to the Kitchen. The owner has had a tough go of it business-wise since the pandemic. Hopefully whatever she does next will be less stressful and more rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 NoGudUsersLeft

Virtual Reality World that closed down is opening in a new location in liosban under the go-karting track.. Possibly a new name. New owners, its the Karting track owners that are opening it, they bought the gear from previous owners

first tiime I've seen a change in Griffins exterior in a couple of years.

I don't speak irisn so wasn't sure what the window said.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,627 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Guessed that would be the case, good to see this getting over the line. Cya Pat, won't miss you!

When Tesco moved out from their site beside Duggan Park in Ballinasloe to their new store in Dunlo Park, that site has stayed boarded up for about 15 years now. Only recently it was announced "Mr Price" is moving in. I expect Mr Price or Dealz or one of those discount plastic fantastic shops to move in to the Oranmore Joyces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I cannot see Mr Price or Dealz as an anchor tenant for a shopping centre. For me, they tend to be someone i got while visiting another store.

Maybe SuperValu would like it back...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

"Tesco must sell the Joyce’s Supermarket outlet in Oranmore in order for its purchase of the rest of the chain to go ahead, the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) has ordered.

Tesco has made a legally binding commitment to divest the Joyce’s supermarket in Oranmore, Co Galway as a going concern to a suitable purchaser, who will be subject to CCPC approval, the regulator said."

Does that read like it must be sold as an operating supermarket, and continue as a supermarket?

If so, that means Dunnes Stores or SuperValu?

Supervalu don't run their own stores. They're a franchise by Musgraves. Nestors were the franchisee before Joyces took over. Every single Supervalu in County Galway is owned by a different company. Only Kavanaughs in Moycullan and Clifden have multiple stores so it's unlikey any of them are looking to expand. It's too small to be a Dunnes Stores.

• Advertisement

Its a complete mess in terms of layout too, which doesn't help its case

Advertisement