Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thiagos

Hahaha what are you smoking and when has anyone given as much credence to league results as they have this year. Dublin are comfortable 2nd favourites with the bookies. The favourites have also proven to be absolute chokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,699 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I agree as a coach you have to kill that sort of celebrating stone dead. However the main reason Mayo lost the final is they failed to learn from the way Tyrone set up against Kerry. They carried the ball into the tackle and failed to use long fast ball to stop Tyrone resetting

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The American writer HL Mencken noted that “for every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

People don't like complex things or the factors which contribute to them (like why a given team did or didn't win an All Ireland). In order to avoid having to either think about these complex solutions to problems or (even worse) having to admit that they don't know everything, they will pick something very simple (celebrating a semi final win) and home in on it as being the sole contributing factor to something complex (winning an All Ireland).

It helps if their "solution" is totally impossible to prove or falsify. We've no measure of who has celebrated too much, too little or just the right amount, and no pattern or connection is visible. Innumerable teams have celebrated semi final wins and gone on to win finals, and just as many have solemnly walked off the field focused on the final, only to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This.

It also explains in part why punditry on TV in particular is often limited to so and so wanted it more, they had more intensity yada yada yada. Most people would turn off as they wouldn't understand or to be honest be that interested in the complex reasons behind one team winning and another team losing.

I was watching Mo Salah after Liverpool's game tonight, talking about then celebrating their win tonight, some of the lads will have a few drinks, we'll enjoy tonight and refocus from tomorrow on the game Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

As a meath fan id agree with one of the posters fatty.. cant see Meath turning around abysmal league form to beating Dublin. hopefully 5-6 points defaet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Comment would make a lot more sense if they hadnt beaten Kerry in the semifinal and Monaghan in the quarter final.

Who did they not beat.... Dublin is all. And they've lost to Kerry and Monaghan since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

This interview is unbelievable. The absolute arrogance of this lad, and seemingly most of his teammates. You'd have to feel sorry for Down, and particularly James McCartan, a true servant to Down football.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

I created a down thread to see what people thought of this 😂

Maybe, maybe not. The demand at intercounty level is excessive. Any player that is on a county panel is unavailable to his club for 6-7 months. If you are not happy with the county setup why be involved. Between gym, video and training most county players can be out 5+ night a week.

Down has not won an Ulster championship in 12 years. You wod only rank them 7th or 8th in Ulster now. It's a lit of committment for no reward. Hard to get back into club stride after a poor season

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Its his choice not to play county which is fair enough but he'd be better keeping quiet if he's not offering himself to help change the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Players opt out of county level all the time, its a tough gig. However, I was yet to hear of someone declare that them and their clubmates wont play for their county as they are such a big crowd of fcuking losers. Or also demand that they bring in a manager of their choosing as they think a guy that won multiple Ulster and All Ireland medals as a player, and was an All Ireland finalist as manager, is not good enough for them.

Down are in an awful state right now, and sinking fast. These jumped up d!ckheads with one All Ireland club medal refusing to play is only making the situation much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

He was too honest if anything. There are many examples of good or great club teams not transferring into good county teams, a recent one would be Corofin and Galway. There are many examples too of players and indeed groups demanding certain managers, Crossmaglen and Joe Kernan to Armagh spring to mind as one that worked out.

If he felt that way he was better keep stum, nothing to be gained by his honesty and slagging off the rest though, as said above if you're not part of the solution yourself, you're part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,839 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Haven’t other counties had the same problem without it ever been said as vocally. A lot of the Corofin lads would not be too pushed about playing for the Galway county team in the past at least. Edit~ notice another poster already said Corofin. First team I thought of.

And I seem to remember lads from what could be termed lesser profile counties. Like Wicklow much prefer their club football and the county stuff is a hinderance to them so they opt out. But great in Sigurdsson Cup for their colleges etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I am a bit disappointed that the Monaghan v Derry match clashes with the Dublin v Meath one. Would like to watch both. Can’t have it everyway I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭dobman88

Its ridiculous. Same with the hurling the other day. I dont watch hurling but obviously hurling fans would love to watch both games but they fixed them both for 2pm.

Dublin v Meath won't even be on telly so it's a kind of moot point but scheduling games to clash bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

Maybe not but surely two matches like that shouldn't be clashing. I really think some fans are going to get a shock when it sinks in how fast the whole thing is being run off now.

Yeah I was surprised to be honest. Thought it would be spaced out a bit more. Normally a supporter can at least catch most of another match that is televised before going to another one or afterwards.

I did consider not going to the Meath match as a solution. But then twigged it was not televised.

And going to the Meath match - I would at least get to see how Dublin play when they don’t have the ball and if there is much improvement - against which should be a decent litmus test

To see where Dublin are at in their development. Or what they are at!

-

It is a shame I can’t watch Monaghan v Derry. Nice novelty to it. Should be tense. And those are always great ones for the neutrals.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Personally I would rather the game I am going to see live is on early rather that 4pm to suit TV viewers from other counties.

I understand that completely. And I go to every Kerry game but it sucks missing out on other games if they're on the same time.

It would be nice to see them but talk of "ridiculous" is a bit much. Every week we have some RTE/GAA need to be burned at the stake story but most sports have a time slot that the majority of games are on and only a few moved.

In Premier League soccer the majority of games are 3pm Saturday and all those games are banned from TV

• Advertisement

Apples and oranges tbf. I dont watch soccer, bar the odd CL game if I'm at home midweek, so can't comment on that one.

It was pretty ridiculous with 2 of the biggest hurling games on at the same time in fairness. Big games could definitely be staggered throw in times.

Yeah I mentioned that it was a moot point in this specific situation in a post you've already replied to. Its more of a general point that big games could be staggered to be shown on TV so many people can see many games.

But it's still the same amount of games on TV. There is a set total amount so staggering those games still means losing one somewhere else.

Why does staggering those games mean losing a TV game elsewhere?

Nobody is asking for the Meath v Dublin game to be televised. The OP just expressed disappointment at missing another big match because, I assume, they will be at the Dublin v Meath match.

Because that's how TV rights works. Stations are given a certain number of games. RTE pay for games they are not the media wing of the GAA

Yeah, I know how it works. Not sure why you think the GAA avoiding games clashing means a TV game will be lost elsewhere though.

Again, nobody is asking for the Meath dublin match to be televised. Just avoid a clash of throw in times with big games is all thats being suggested.

Right sorry I thought it was so both could be televised. I got that crazy idea from this quote of yours

Its more of a general point that big games could be staggered to be shown on TV so many people can see many games

If it's an RTE game you can always just watch it as soon as you get home from whatever match you are at if that helps

Yep, that's exactly my point. Not sure why it's taken you this long to comprehend it but nice to have you.

Stagger big games, even if only 1 is televised so people can watch it also. Which was the original point of the OP.

Anyway, seems you just misunderstood and I've just remembered there is a TV thread of it's own so I'll bow out of this one instead of dragging it on further since we seem to pretty much agree.

• Advertisement

Because there is two slots Saturday evening at 5&7pm. There is two it's at 2&4pm on Sunday. You are also competing with Rugby at weekend.

There is at least two big Hurling matches every weekend. There is 9 matches I think this weekend. With hurling you have round robin so most teams are out every week.

Wait until next year with the round robin of the football where you will have 8 football matches at a match weekend and maybe 5 hurling matches

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement