Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021-22 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Conceded less in the CL than Man City, same amount as Real Madrid. Most clean sheets in the PL this season.

Liverpool have conceded more offside goals than actual goals in the league this season. That's elite defending.

You are right that it's not all Klopp, a lot of credit has to go to Pep too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

There's a good balance. It's offensive football, but Liverpool defend well. 21 clean sheets from 34 league games. Leading the way on that metric.

It's a different style. The main thing is winning, but winning while playing good football is a massive bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,046 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For me, Klopp doesn't have the "we will hold what we have" attitude that a lot of managers do.

He goes into every game trying to win it. Last night some might say he didn't play on the front foot, but I think it was just that Villarreal put so much effort into chasing them down.

Compare it to Emry in the 2nd half. I think he went into defensive, hold mode. "We are back in the game but now be cautious".

Look at Madrid when 3 1 up from Stamford Bridge. At home they ended up 3 nil down cos Carlo decided to play defensive.

And I'm sure there are plenty more examples in recent times if I had a think. Ten Hag did it against Spurs too that year they got knocked out of semi in last seconds.

Tonight will be interesting. I predict Frankfurt, being 2 1 up away to West Ham, will sit back and try to hold what they have. And it will help the Hammers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Isn't the object of sport to win games? You're trying to make out Klopp going to win games is a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Easy to say when you follow a minority sport here. When you grow up with people taking glee at your team misfortunes as their team wins all around them then you will do the same back when the role reverses. So if you have given it out you have to take it back.

If I implied that, it's not what I'm saying. I am applauding Klopp, simply because he doesn't play negative football, and tries to win every game he plays.

Can anyone think of a game where Liverpool went out and played negatively, or a 2nd leg to hold a result?

The 2nd leg away against Man City a few years ago. Won it 2-1. Didn't have a kick first half, but that's probably more down to Man City's dominance on the night. It was the first time, from memory, that we saw Salah play central too.

The league winning season of 19-20 and title challenge season of 18-19 regularly saw Liverpool take the lead in a game and then just see it out by controlling space.

But generally the days of sitting back and playing for a 0-0 are behind us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Manchester Utd played fúcking brilliant football in the 90s and 00s, and there is not one part of me that loved watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,974 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's just childish behaviour. If one side stops then then the other will too.

What you are describing reminds me of traveller's feuds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

The worst part of Liverpool's success these days and especially this season is that I can't go anywhere without it being in my face all the time.

Where was social media during the 1999 treble season ffs. 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

no chance. I try not to engage in the general thread because half the people come across as idiots but in moments of quiet reflection realise I'm just an idiot with a different point of view, that's the internet for you.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So football fans slagging each other and taking the piss is childish. American football coach being a racist piece of **** is okay. Gotcha.

Can't take this seriously given some of the bickering you engage in on those threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

There are no such thing as neutrals watching football I want Newcastle to win every competition they enter which is massively unlikely I accept however if that is not possible I would prefer anyone other than Man Utd or Liverpool to win for 2 reasons 1. They've won enough already and 2. Their fans are both numerous and insufferable. When Chelsea or Man City win something I don't have to hear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

The big question is Liverpool V Man Utd in a CL Final, who you got? You have to pick one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No such thing as neutrals watching football ?

Do you mean football now or English football cause I'm sure you must be neutral about some football at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So you've made a series of interesting posts for sure. Initially, I wrote it off as sour grapes, but there is something to your thesis on reflection. Liverpool reached two finals and a semi-final in five years under Benitez, and those runs were built on the back of highly cautious, highly defensive displays - particularly away from home but also when holding onto winning positions at Anfield. 'Compact, play at the pace of the ball, low block, slide.' It was highly criticized by the "neutrals" of the day because it was an attritional approach that created low scoring and tense affairs. It's worth noting that side demonstrated a capability for something more in spurts at home when needing a goal.

Klopp has now reached a final in each of his European campaigns, and you're dead right - he never defends in that fashion. The alternate tactic in winning positions is to dial down the press somewhat. But they spend very little time in a low block ceding possession to the opposition. Liverpool looks at their worst when not trying to press high up the pitch and inflict their game on the opponent. They become slightly aimless and disjointed.

So I understand your frustration with Emery last night. He had it dead right in the first half. If they could have kept doing what they were doing, they would have a better chance of progressing. Some part of them slipping back in the second half was physical, but I agree to the conversation at halftime being one of 'new game, back to zero, let's win it from here' type stuff. Not 'keep going at it with the same desperation and try to win the tie before full-time.' Liverpool had to go and score and looked far more comfortable in that scenario.

Is this a sickness created by UEFA Pro licenses, though? I'm not sure it is, and I'm not confident attacking Emery is fair given his record in Europe and the run Villareal has enjoyed under him the last couple of years. He's doing a lot right. But overall, I see where you're coming from on a general level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Someone smarter than me once said that tactics in football can be boiled down to a question of whether you want or do not want the ball. If you are weaker than your opponent, you don't want it, as you'll often lose it where losing it in your half out of your defensive position is fatal. If you are superior to your opponent, you want the ball as much as possible. Villareal wanted the ball in the first half last night. They didn't want it at Anfield, and they didn't want it in the second half until they had conceded two goals and the tie was decided. They probably should have died with their boots on, to have kept going to start the second half and let themselves be beaten physically trying to use the ball and trying to win the game. Once they stopped wanting the ball, it was over.

Thankfully Man Utd are a basket case so there's no prospect of that happening.

• Advertisement

Klopp has reached a final in each European campaign? Am I missing something here. Like ok not being dismissive of Klopp. Brilliant coach, but what final in 21 and 20 and 17? He's had a europa and now 3 CLs in 6.5 years which is in itself a fantastic achievement, never mind his winning one. Unless there's cup finals separate?

Thanks, good that someone understands what I'm trying to say!

I do think the young coaches can suffer from a case of 'pro licencitis'.

Too many now over complicate things (imho). Often when they go in front they immediately seem to go into defensive mode, irrespective of the quality of opposition they face. They don't go for the jugular like coaches of old might have.

And just look at subs now in football. So much of it has to wait to the 60th min mark for changes to arrive. Why? Why not change guys at 55, or halftime. Why this magical 60th min mark?

But I have no idea what is contained in a uefa pro licence. I don't know what they learn.

I have often heard that football now is a lot more attacking minded. I would disagree. I think negativity permeates football tactics everywhere. Very few coaches don't fall into line with this, abs Klopp is one.

Lots of old coaches sat back and defended. Defense wins titles has long been a mantra of many many teams and clubs.

Ferguson might have won more titles in Europe of he didn't simply try to outscore opponents. He got to the final on the back of an incredibly strong defensive unit and a team that was organised and quick on counters .

Even Klopp isn't all out attack, when he was he fell short. Whether or not football is more attack minded, rules/laws have changed to facilitate a less agricultural type of defending.

Pep lost last years CL final by trying to go all out attack.

Klopp does that now within games

Last week against Villarreal he said in his interview after that they were going for goals up until a point in the second half and then it made no more sense and they decided to contain instead of push further and that's why he brought on Joe Gomez and Origi with 10mins to go to negatively play to see out the 2-0 rather than run up the score

Same happened earlier this season at Old Trafford when 5-0 up against 10 men early in the 2nd half. No need to over exert and just went to see out the result.

Both of those examples created pretty boring ends to the games as it was just about controlling possession and not risking injuries. Pretty negative, but effective

He brought on Origi so as to not score any more goals!

Nice.

• Advertisement

He brought him on for Díaz, Origi is better at hold up and needed minutes.

As I say, he explicitly said that after the game. It didn't make sense to push for a goal and that's why he brought on effectively a 3rd centre back

Very defensive of him to not push on for the win when only 5-0 up 😝

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Teams:

Real Madrid XI: Courtois; Carvajal, Militao, Nacho, Mendy; Modric, Casemiro, Kroos; Valverde, Benzema, Vinicius jr.

Man City XI: Ederson; Walker, Dias, Laporte, Cancelo; De Bruyne, Rodri, Silva; Mahrez, Jesus, Foden.

Valverde will need to be alert for Cancelo's runs forward. Walker should be more of a challenge for Vini Jr.

I've a feeling Madrid will do it. Hope to see another Benzema masterclass. I'll say 2-1 Madrid in normal time and they find a winner in extra time.

It's at the point where I demand nothing less than mental from Real matches. Anything less than a flip flop goalfest or hellish levels of panto shthousery and I'll be well annoyed

On paper that's City's best XI for me. Going to be tough to beat them.

I'll go with 1-1 draw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

thats some very tailored cloth from a Newcastle fan right there. Teams like Liverpool and United have won alot and have huge support bases. They have done this through being well managed over decades, building their brand/business/club over a long period of time.

Newcastle will stroll into the conversation over the next chapter in the Premier league with very dubious owners and your ok with that? I know you are a long time poster in the Newcastle page, a real fan. But getting onside with Chelsea and city is laughable.

I'd rather be part of an insufferable fan base than have petro money artificially hoisting my club to a level they never earned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Embarrassing from Laporte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How did he not get sent off for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Good old City up to their same tricks again

And people thought A.Madrid were bad for their antics

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Delighted he got a yellow from it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Sniper in the crowd shot Laporte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

How is that not a red for Laporte, embarrassing stuff from him.Man City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kinda looked like he used his little dive/collapse to sneak a slap in at Modric...

I guess there's some benefit of the doubt that it was somehow a natural part of his fall, but it looked fairly intentional.

This is a proper heavyweight match so far.

City have a proper foothold now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Real come a live at the drop of a hat, or goal😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

He was rolling around the the ground holding his face, no doubt that he was simulating being hit, that carry on needs to be cut out.

This faking of head injuries in the game needs to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Players are really taking the piss with the head contact thing recently. Using it to slow a game down and break up play.

Fascinating game.

Real should have 2 more yellows by now

The stuff Casemiro gets away with...

A rule change I'd love to see is that if the game is stopped because you've gone down injured you should have to leave the field.

Currently it's only done if you get treated on the pitch. But it should be for any stoppage even if you're not treated and should be for a minute rather than waved back on straight away

For a referee who likes to hand out cards, it's fairly shocking that Casemiro has avoided one with those 2 tackles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

How Casemiro didn't get a yellow for either tackle, I don't know. Especially the second one, as blatant a yellow you will ever see.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement