Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

If he’s fit, Harry could have a job getting back on that team. All of the subs yesterday made an impact when introduced which is exactly what you want. Dunne was a handful in the FF line. Doyle turned the Galway lads with his running. Walsh was effective at winning ball. Thought Byrne would offer more but still put in a shift. Harry can catch fire but they need to put a fire under his arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Give it a break for God sake. The chap is just out of minor and clearly management think highly of him. I trust them to recognise his qualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I think lads are too critical of shine and as soon as things don't go well they jump down his throat. Is shine only in 5th year now?he was u17 last year. I don't know the chap at all but as someone else said we need to get behind this team and young lads like shine instead of anonymously being critical of chaps online. We all agree the day of being ignorant to lads is well gone now so. I think shine could be a very good inside senior forward in a few years. He will hopefully play senior this year with the boro and if he puts in the hard work I'm hopeful he'll make it.

I agree that the subs were good and a couple of lads who started could be under pressure next week. It's a pity bill hughes is still injured I liked this chap at minor. Cathal beirne is another chap who's injured but the biggest loss is probably Liam Moore who would be a big addition. Its great to see plenty of lads from intermediate and junior clubs. The two wingap lads were very good.Well done to everyone involved the players have endured plenty of heartbreak against galway and we see what it meant to them to get over the line hopefully they can finish the job next week and get to an all Ireland. I've seen Tallis a few times outfield and he's very good but he is a very confident goalie and we're lucky we have Mason,Liam dunphy,Darren brennan and Tallis and while scruff is a great shot stopper a few of these are better equipped with the modern game.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ttowncat

U20: Inside forwards had an impossible job in the first half last night. The ball in to them with galway sweepers had to be perfect and it wasn't. Kilkenny got to grips with the middle third as the game went on, the galway sweeping seemed less effective, and the wind in the second half helped obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

I thought I saw Liam Moore at the game with the panel?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't know the Chap but he wasn't listed on the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Marrooned

I wish he was , he would be some asset to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

I was full sure it was him with the other extended panel members like William Halpin? I may have been wrong though, perhaps it was the excitement after the win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

That's a bit over the top for a young lad. He has high skill levels, I watched him in the Minor A club final last year, the schools final this year and the Minor semi final v Galway last year and u20 game played Monday. Non of them were his best games but one thing he did show is that he has loads of potential and buckets of skill. Let the lad develop. No need to slate him after every bad match. We need skilful forwards like him develop

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

A poster rightly lauded Billy Drennan's nerve in nailing so many difficult points (I think he missed just one and that fell back in to play for the goal). This dovetails with a point I have made here that seems lost in the myriad of modern coaching and management innovations. You need deadly accurate players in your forwards. Less accurate players invariably get found out in tight games, the Yanks brilliantly call these "clutch players".

If you find yourself a point or two up going in to last 15 mins but coming under a lot of pressure possession wise (as the senior team has several times in recent years) it becomes vital that you have the players on the field to nail scarce chances.

Drennan nailed the equaliser at the death and Fitzpatrick (did anyone doubt it wasn’t going over when the let fly?) the winner. We had the right players at the right time.

Volumes have been written on Mayo's failure to win an AI, but what hasn’t been said is a simple fundamental truth, they lack scoring forwards. They are a strong, hardworking athletic team but they simply do not have forwards who are accurate shooters. That can keep you in games even against really good teams for 50-60 mins but when the game is there to be won, the team with the better shooters will invariably close it out.

When Dean Rock or Con or Kilkenny or Brogan shot in last 15 mins, Dublin expected the ball to fly over, Mayo merely hoped and prayed. So, games that looked like they were on a knife edge, rarely were. Games that might have been level between the two after 50 mins and each side got 5 scorable chances from there, game over, Dublin would win.

Cody’s Kilkenny last few years is actually very like Mayo, ferociously hard to beat but weaknesses in class forwards cost us when the game is there to be won. In fact, I believe he makes matters worse and takes off shooters and puts on grafters. This is driven by his savage competitiveness and belief that Kilkenny can out work any team.

The one significant game we won in last 3 years, the 2020 Leinster Final was achieved by a moment of genius by a player Cody doesn’t even deem good enough to be on our starting panel and the other a rocket by TJ. We out worked Galway in closing mins for the win, but we wouldn’t even have been able to do so without individual brilliance rescuing a lost cause.

The development of players like Drennan and Shine and Ciaran Brennan is vital to us, as of course is that of Mullen, Cody and Donnelly. You can only reach a certain level (essentially "being competitive" but not winning the big games) with just one (or even two) class forward. Class forwards who can shoot and shoot accurately when it matters.

Btw If as is being suggested TJ was subbed rather than injured, it would sum up the current Cody era for me, subbing off a hurling wizard for a subpar 35 mins and leaving likes of Buckley on. I’d say Shefflin couldn’t believe his luck when he saw no TJ at start of 2nd half.

Post edited by Alonzo Moseley on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Btw If as is being suggested TJ was subbed rather than injured, it would sum up the current Cody era for me, subbing off a hurling wizard for a subpar 35 mins and leaving likes of Buckley on. I’d say Shefflin couldn’t believe his luck when he saw no TJ at start of 2nd half."

Going by a few reports , TJ was violently ill all day before the game, and couldnt carry on.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Powerhouse1

There was not a thing wrong with TJ. No injury and no sickness. Reports are false.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭robwen

Cody said after the game that TJ had a reoccurrence of an injury that he has been battling for sometime & also with regards Hogan didn't someone on here say he has a hamstring injury

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

How did he get on?

Wind your neck in. Nobody’s being slated. Rest assured nobody under the age of 40 reads any of the **** posted on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

Did you see Derek McGrath on the Sunday game use Eoin Cody's legitimate handpass to Donnely for his goal as an example to try to legitimise the many thrown balls in all games. They even zoomed in on it to prove it was legal. However they did not zoom in on Curran's illegal thrown pass to Kiely in the W'ford Tipp game when Sheedy questioned it (that was the second throw in that move BTW). McGrath brushed it off as legal which they all chuckled about - ah shur! etc etc . But RTE have shown that they have the technology to determine whether that pass was legal. But they did not use it. Why? What's their agenda in this? Why are they interested in distorting the laws of the game?? McGrath need's to grow out what little hair he has over his ears, dye it red, put on a red nose and paint his lips. Couple that with a checked suit and a big pair of shoes and you'll see him in his true form. An absolute clown who cannot comment in any objective way on hurling. And don't get me started on Donal Og.

I think you should take your own advice. The young players have parents, grandparents etc.

Cusack had issues with the spare hand until his own county started to blatantly use it. And Cork are up there as one of the biggest offenders of the throw ball, hence his indifference to it. Ditto McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Few days to reflect on Sunday. Lots of Kilkenny players way below what you would expect. Seemed unsure of ourselves and not comfortable with what they were being asked to as regards use of ball.

I was hopeful of a big performance but bar cody we didn't look sharp.

Hard to no where to play deegen at this stage. And cillians role is a mystery. He started second half @full forward that must be a first.

I'm fearing bad news with lawlor as well possible broken knuckle.could be confirmed in coming days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm pretty sure I replied to your post last year to say that I agree with your thinking. And I 100% agree with you now. Cody has always said that players won't make the team on reputation and that they must be performing in training to get picked. He doesn't hold himself to the same standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

I be more concerned the way he went at Martin Comerford last sunday on the sideline in the second half.

We gave away alot of easy scores and didn't get enough from our forwards. Galways workrate was very high and Henry had his homework done. I think he went after deegan and smothered him and put him under pressure and turn overs. I know players interchange but monaghan and cooney have being scoring freely we should of being tighter it's not like we didn't know they were scoring freely. I was at the match Sunday and it was nearly a throwback to years ago with not a huge deal of tactics but for most of it we had Billy and cody on the inside line. Billy was poor but we should of gave cody more ball when he was on fire. I know mannion went back on and galway reacted but he still made the 3rd goal and was influential near the end.Mannion bought two handy frees off cody when he grabbed his arm. We needed another forward to play well on the day.Theres not much between the two teams. I'd like to get another go at them in a few weeks. This squad is on the go a few years but we lack movement in attack. There is a lack of cohesion and understanding between defence and attack.Do we have a game plan or puck out strategy?We simply don't look comfortable working the ball out of defence,we are jittery and nervous and this isn't year one it's probably the 3rd year but are we any further advanced?I think hard work,determination and fighting till the bitter end is getting us over the line in some of these games but when we go up a level we're opened up.

I heard something recently about gillane how when he's inside what he does sometimes is goes out to the end line and as soon as byrne,morrisey or who ever has the ball he sprints to the middle for a easier score. Most lads sprint to the corner for a harder score. it's things like these I just couldn't see us practicing in training.Id wonder how much we work on the short game in training and is there actually purpose to it or just doing it for the sake of it.

I still think the two handy games done us no good and the wexford game stood to galway and the dissapointment of the last free so hopefully we can get a similar response. We'll have no other choice but to go out and perform and win the last 2 games or it would be a very dissapointing season altogether.

Huw would be a massive loss if he's injured. He has improved a huge amount over the last few years and is a modern full back. It's the one position where replacements are scarce. Delaney would probably go to three but has played very little in a long time and needs plenty of games to get to match fitness.

Do we know the extent of Harry shines injury?

I agree, determination will only get us so far. All boxes must be ticked to get the maximum out of the team. I too believe enough is not being done on the training field. It's clear that there is no great link up play between the lines. We also need to use the delay tactic to slow things down at times like most other teams do, even minors. And when we're fouled we should do what others do - go down, rip off the helmet and medics in like a shot. Paddy Deegan's opponent did exactly that for the last free.

Cody's mantra of playing on until the whistle goes doesn't work these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Midfield is massive problem, trying every combination this year

• Antrim - Deegan, Carey
    • Tipp - Deegan, Kenny
    • Laois - Donnelly, Kenny
    • Dublin - Murphy, Kenny
    • Waterford - Buckley, Kenny
    • Cork - Buckley, Kenny
    • Westmeath - Mullen, Kenny
    • Laois - Mullen, Maher
    • Galway - Buckley, Maher

Maher and Donnelly aren't going well this year. Deegan cant pass but cant fault his workrate. Kenny needs a lot more game time. Mullen isn't going well, think the Laois game made him look like he was getting his form back. Dont think I would move Carey out of the half back line. Guessing Murphy, Buckley for the next game, Murphy might be needed for frees

What was so offensive to parents, grandparents etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

And a lot of matches Kilkenny had the 3 of Murphy, Buckley and Kenny playing midfield together and we still lost the midfield battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

If it's hard to know where to play someone, you have your answer. He dosesn't play. Deegan is a lion of a player but when the pace quickens and the hurling is top class he has been found wanting. He eptomises Cody's mantra, great worker, great heart. But sadly that just wont be good enough against the really top teams.

As for "Buckley's role being a mystery" it sure is, I didn't even know he was on the pitch till he was subbed off. His decline as a player since illness and injury is terrible, he was a brilliant player, but continuing to start him is a total mystery to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KK Supercats

Could Deegan not do a job for us in the full forward line? He is never found wanting when it comes to commitment and physically he is strong as an ox. Would allow Richie Reid in as centre back and still include Deegan as a leader on the field (as Brian Cody seems to see him). Would improve distribution from the backs to the forwards as Reid is far superior in that part of the game while possibly playing to Deegan's strengths?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

Haven't commented on the game since but have been reading here all through the week.

1st of All couldn't believe it when Buckley and Browne were picked to the start at the weekend, just looks like Cody favours "workhorses and Commitment" over better out and out hurlers like Blanchfield and Richie Reid. Buckley has not had any great run of form since 2018 and really looks short of confidence (not effort) since then. I'll be amazed if he starts any of the next 2 games and if he does we could finish 4th in the group.

As for Deegan I said it before the Championship I wouldn't be starting him as when Championship hurling gets real tough he does be found out aka Waterford semi final in 2020 against Jack Fagan. Richie Reid at centre back for me while not as physical is a better overall player and gives great distribution to the forwards rather than skyscrapers which deegan normally gives.

If Huw Lawlor is out next day would be a massive loss as he's been our best player all year.

Team I'd go with against Dublin with everyone fit:

Murphy

M Butler

Lawlor (Delaney if he's out)

T Walsh

M Carey

R Reid

D Blanchfield

Mullen

A Murphy

Wally

P Walsh