Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I don't know if I agree, I think we dropped our heads alright and Tipp took advantage of that with a few scores at the end but I think tonight is a more accurate representation of the difference between the two teams. Tipp had 3/4 forwards that were very very good and we just couldn't hold them. Tipp also made far greater use of the extra man they dropped back, we were more reliant on individual moments or mistakes from Tipp.

While we would hope for 2/3 players to develop enough to play senior this wasn't an outstanding crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

As much as I hate having a go at management teams because they are all only volunteers but the people in charge of our underage teams are inept and simply not good enough.

The fact we only lost to Tipp by a couple points a few weeks back and beat Limerick last week shows that the players can compete but the hammerings v Clare and now Tipp again shows something is badly amiss. It’s the same with the u20s, poorly prepared teams not clued in, unforced errors and bad game management costing us over the past few years.

One thing I don’t see covered in the ‘Waterford rising’ development program is the improvement of quality coaches in the county because quite frankly there aren’t many. It’s a huge concern moving forward and until we have the right quality of coaches to take our underage teams we should really be looking outside the county for managers and coaches, we are in danger of falling behind the rest within a couple of years if underage performances don’t improve

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

In all fairness to lads who take the reigns of these teams, they are expected to give up a lot of personal time to train and prepare these teams. They train regularly, they play challenge games and then they are asked to travel to the likes of Limerick and Clare on a Tuesday / Wednesday night - it is not as if they are just travelling out the road once or twice a week. That's why so many selectors are parents!!! Getting guys from outside the county is likely to prove even more difficult.

It is extremely frustrating to see two good competitive performances against Tipp and Limerick and then suffer two hammerings, all be they against the Munster Finalists. But unfortunately we need to remember that these lads are basically under 17 and it is easy for them to loose heart and concentration, and just wish for the game to end. Many of these lads know that they may never hurl for their county again, so when we start to be so critical, we need to remember this.

In the last 15 years we have been more competitive on an underage basis on a regular basis than we had for the previous 20 years , Ok we are not laden with Munster or All Ireland titles but every county (particularly in Munster) is putting vast resources into underage structures, so unless you are the likes of Cork with a massive pick and massive resources, domination is a thing of dreams.

One place we certainly could improve is putting more resources into "Coaching the Coaches" - finding lads who have a genuine interest and are willing to commit the time and start by integrating them into a system where they can learn from the likes of Cahill / Bevans etc., before letting them take actual charge of underage teams. We also need to put in place resources that can provide a consistent and developed Mental and Physical Preparation Programme for our young lads who are expected to compete with similar systems from other counties. - Unfortunately that might mean taking control from some of the bluffers currently in charge of organizing such structures, who appear quite happy to be able point the finger of blame in other directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭Rosita

Sorry, are you saying that if the match had been in Cork and not Thurles Clare might not have won? Do you seriously think the venue was such a disadvantage to Cork?

yes I do I think the venue had a massive bearing on the result. It was a disadvantage to Cork in the context that it was a conceded home venue, and huge advantage to Clare in the sense that it was a neutral venue compared to playing them in a packed PUC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DeHorse88

i know nothing about the coaches involved with the Waterford U17/20s but there’s plenty of coaches in Waterford one would think. Would they not try and get the likes of Peter Queally/ Joxer O’Connor involved in underage teams? I’m only throwing out names here but surely they should be goin after someone the calibre of David Franks after his role with Ballygunner.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Take no prisoners

Tickets for the Clare match are up on Ticketmaster lads. Just got a terrace ticket for the west end. We need to try and travel in numbers to get behind the team. Could be a do or die match.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Isn't it galling to think that, had Waterford hit the target with just a quarter of their 17 wides against Limerick last week, they might now be the Munster Under 20 hurling champions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

Just can’t see the numbers travelling to Clare especially a lot of those who made it to limerick . Hopefully we will be at least in top 3 after corks result anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah the Cork match is the real do or die clash. Lose to Cork and we'll be all sweating on the Clare vs Limerick game as it could essentially be Clare vs Limerick B. Cork also have a trip to Tipp in Round 5 which would put them in the driving seat having the h2h over us

If 3 or more teams finish on the same points then scoring difference is used, h2h if its 2 teams on the same points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

Have tickets for cork game been released to clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Only just copped the Clare game is at 4pm, thought it was a 2pm one. Balls of a time to be getting home of a Sunday evening

Yeah and could have an effect on travelling support

Waterford ffs beat Cork please

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Take no prisoners

This is why I'm flagging tickets now. If we lose to Cork and need support to be there for the last game, all tickets will be mopped up by a buoyant clare crowd by then. The last time I was there for the round Robin it was a disaster of a day where we had Moran sent off and several injuries. They were backed by a partisan crowd. Just saying after the poor turnout v Limerick it would be great to get as many fans on board as possible for Ennis.

joxer and Queally have both been there and done that as regards managing the u21s. As long as they continue to be overlooked for senior intercounty role can’t see them back in Waterford setup as club management is nearly more lucrative shiner ahearne was over the minors this year. With all due respect it must be his 3rd go at it in the last 20 years he’s not exactly a fresh face

where are the up and coming young coaches in the county? Or all the renowned ex-players from the 90s and noughties that the current minor and u20 crop would have grown up idolising?

Can see Joxer O Connor been involved in the next Waterford senior management team

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

I was also at that round robin game ; one of the worst match experiences ever.

Cusack Park is just as big a dump as Walsh Park (facility wise) ; I wouldn’t blame anyone for not travelling there.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭deisedude

I didn't know to laugh or cry. Couldnt remember a game with so many of our players going down injured.

Hopefully this trip will be a more enjoyable experience!

Ennis is a great drinking town and the pitch is reasonably located and not like passing through a beseiged ukraine steel plant to get to/from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Ticket sorted for Sunday week. I can't see much demand from Cork supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

it's so weird we have kk tipp and cork's goat,i dont think anytime in history could we say that before

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Hopefully they will surface on Ticketmaster during the week..

Only a Tipp win or draw over Limerick today would have an affect on us

Be some atmosphere up in Walsh Park next Sunday if we have the same weather as today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

great performance by tipp today, teams are getting closer and closer to limerick, sooner or later we will see the emperor has no clothes,and we might have 2 bites at the apple this year

I couldn’t get to see the match but by all accounts, Gillane was lucky not to be red carded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Limerick v Tipp - I've seen fellas sent off for less. Limerick were poor and still pulled away in the end, Tipp were out on their feet after 60 minutes, McGrath was immense. So win next week and we're through, simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Waterford usually have a brutal support for any games in Limerick or Clare. It would be great if ye brought the support the team deserves.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement