Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This whole thread:

"I think we should help, but we should do it in a more sensible and pragmatic manner, otherwise our nations issues will only get worse"

"I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I'M SEEING ON THIS THREAD, WHAT HEARTLESS MONSTERS. HOW CAN YOU LIVE WITH YOURSELVES?!!"

It pretty much sums up modern "debate" on nearly every other topic too. It's honestly like adults dealing with children who refuse to listen, but sadly they aren't children, they are adults in their 30's and 40's, who are devoid of any sense at all, yet have somehow convinced themselves that they're fit to guide the path of our society. And as usual, when the **** hits the fan, they'll accept no culpability for their actions.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭seanin4711

government outsource their "problems" once again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

With regards to my analogy don't dwell on it. I meant the people can come and go as they please. However where people want to open their mail is entirely up to them, if they want to open them in the smoking sheds, in the eating area or inside the location at reception is again their decision. I'm not going to walk away every time someone wants to open a letter and secondly there are times when people will actually ask you to explain the contents of a letter or even assist in filling out their Census form!

The An Post application is quite easily done, photo copy of passport, photocopy of letter which they received at entry to Ireland at either the airport or ferry port and letter from centre stating that they are a resident there.

With regards to your other comments re bank charges etc I never mentioned that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭enricoh

My missus' cousin went over to London years ago, hooked up with an English lad n they moved back here to raise the kids. His sister was a functioning addict with a couple of kids but has gone downhill recently.

They brought the kids over to give them a chance in life n are waiting 3 months now for a pps number for the kids. They would be of limited means n even the children's allowance would help a lot , they haven't got a fiver so far from the government.

All resources in the government department have been put onto the Ukraine job. There's Somalians n Pakistanis that are in the local hotel that are on the horses back with full dole with their pps numbers.

The Ukrainian passport forgery industry is a brand new industry with stellar growth prospects!

• Advertisement

Those of us volunteering and/or working with the refugees know that medical cards are being obtained. We were also told that in case of an emergency before said card arriving, we can contact a named person in HSE to ensure cover. A GP is assigned, rather than having to get one to sign the application form. Bank accounts can also be opened. HSE have to be informed when a refugee leaves our centre. Local schools are being very obliging with facilitating admissions at such a busy time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Those of us who have actually volunteered in DP and Homeless shelters take what your saying with a the smallest of small grains of salt I'm afraid.

Utter and complete nonsense re GP being assigned, Bank accounts perhaps albeit as I've said how is the mystery.

Also a Mystery has to who these named people are in the HSE, anyone who's tried to contact HSE in a normal situation is lucky to get an answer, let alone a person on the other end of the line.

As for schools being obliging, I'm sure they are, when they are being told to be.

Your clearly at this anyone who dares ask a question is somehow anti refugee rubbish again. It's the very accommodations being afforded to one cohort and not others that infuriates me, support everyone who is in need equally as far as I'm concerned.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

We are neither a Direct Provision nor a Homeless shelter. I DO know what I’m talking about. You don’t believe me, but that’s YOUR problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm fully aware your not volunteering in a DP or Homeless shelter and I'd strongly suspect you never would.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If your house on fire you don't bring in extra kindling. If your household is short on cash, all the rooms are in use, the heating is intermittent and you've no local GP, you don't invite people to stay, you certainly don't prioritise them over your own family, unless it's temporary and you have a plan for the medium to long term. The government didn't and hasn't. The fact that McEntee a vocal standard bearer for this non plan, with a larger house than the majority living in this country, offered and then withdrew her offer to take in those fleeing a warzone takes the biscuit.

Nope, as has been pointed out to you, any actions were taken after the fact and there were no measures for quarantine in place. Still aren't. I pointed out it was another example of the rulebook being thrown out. And one of the last things I'd "begrudge" anyone would be their pets. I've met far fewer arseholes that were cats and dogs compared to humans.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If my house burned down my neighbours would help me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,328 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...once again, central banks can never ever ever run out of money, as is the case with the ecb! governments are nothing like households, as households do not have this ability, i.e. money creation. unfortunately since the euro zone is designed as so, expanding the public money supply, i.e. increasing deficit spending, is more complicated, but this is the only way out of this problem, but it must be agreed by all member states, in particularly major players such as germany and france. if this doesnt happen, we re probably all fcuked, including france and germany!

Why can we do all this stuff for ukraines,but not for the other refugees or own homeless/in need??

Almost noone honestly minds em coming/being helped,what they are fleeing is horrendous,but why were all these roadblocks/issues/regulations all of sudden turned out not to matter and were simply being used to justify some fairly terrible social policies here....

we have people 10 plus years in direct provision denied all sorts of liberities,the state will in long term end up having to apoligise to em for way its treated em

• Registered Users Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You may not agree with Mary, and I normally don't but she is actually telling it as it is. There might be a few small tweaks depending on the different locations but regardless, MC are being issued as well as bank accounts, job fairs are being held in reception centres, safe pass courses being organised, language classes, and NDLS are working on licences.

If you want to carry on and believe that the Ukrainian people and these centres are being run like DP / homeless shelters the answer is they're not.

Thank you.

One sad thing I’ve found this week. Now that the refugees are settling in to their accommodation, they are not looking any further forward than the end of summer, when they hope they can be reunited with their menfolk. When they first arrived, they were looking for English lessons, jobs etc. Now, a sort of gloom is descending as the reality of their situation is hitting them.

A poster asked why I didn’t offer a bedroom to the refugees. I have seen first hand the trauma they’re coming to terms with. I don’t think that I could handle that 24/7, so concentrate my efforts on volunteering a couple of days a week, mainly filling in forms, translating letters, going for a walk or just talking to them via Google translate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

We are doing it for other refugees and our own homeless.

Late last year, the government was in court argueing againest those in direct provision having a driving licence

This government is handing out medical cards and opening bank accounts for ukraine refugees,who are also exempt from the direct provision and eligible to work here straight away

Except, we're not.

The extent of the help/support provided to other refugees, our own homeless, or even the poorest sections of Irish society, falls well short of what has been extended to Ukrainian refugees. All you need to do is read back over the last two pages to see the range of help extended to Ukrainians, and this is just the beginning of the overall crisis.. that help is likely to expand as time goes by.

And before Ukraine, I could appreciate/understand why that kind of support wasn't given out so much. It cost a lot and the reality is that such support would be long-term, in the region of decades rather than a few years.. so it made some sense. Ireland just didn't have the economy or resources to commit that kind of investment in such sections. No nation does. Which is why those sections of society tended to struggle so much to get funding and services allocated to them.

But. Ukraine.. that's changed everything. Now, we've seen that the government is willing to extend that kind of help to a particular refugee situation.. It's still a mystery how this is all going to be paid for, and what kind of long-term effects this is going to have on both the Irish economy, and the taxpayer though. I suspect that kind of consideration has been shelved until after everything has been provided.

Easier to ask forgiveness after the fact, than run the risk of being told no **** way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What are Ukrainians getting that Irish people aren’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Agree that health for example seems to be a perennial problem and the more money thrown at it, it still never improves.

I had a huge moment of realisation today watching Robert Watt speak to a Dail Committee. The sheer arrogance and contempt that was displayed towards elected officials was absolutely disgusting.

This is where our problems lie across health, housing and so on. How many senior civil servants exist like him, adverse to change unless it benefits them. Plenty I would guess.

Health was a huge problem before Covid, people should really have been out on the streets over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Access to a medical card without means testing? A special 2 page form to be filled whereas Irish gave to complete a novel.

Access to schools where they are full for locals but now spaces provided.

Animals getting free vaccinations and microchipping.

Teacher union of Ireland waivering reg fees for qualified teachers wishing to register here. Irish teachers have to pay. More worryingly, they are trying to organise a reasonable accommodation with regards to the vetting procedure.

Ukrainians can get a tax exemption from revenue if they bring their car into this country.

The Irish have to prove that their school going children of 16/17 are actually going to school by filling out a form and getting the school to stamp it. Ukrainians do not have to prove their 16/17 year olds are in school.

The ease at which hotel rooms and accomodation has been made for Ukrainians compared to people in this country who are homeless and have to queue for a hostel bed each night.

Those in DP must be rightly p'd off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

im open to correction here but as far as I remember and from my research now, a person issued with a medical card has a GP assigned to them..

So if a family coming from the Ukraine are to be given a medical card they would need to be assigned a GP….if a government official was seeking to obtain a GP for the Kovalenko family, a family of 5 and contact the XxxxxxX Medical Practice … to get told by the owner of said practice… “ sorry, we are over subscribed, sometimes our patients are waiting 7 working days from seeking an appointment to seeing a doctor so, no, in the interest of current patient care, we cannot accept any new patients..”

Jack shît the government or department of health could do…

my GP surgery, brilliant setup but too many patients, with at times outrageous lead ups from trying to make an appointment to the day of seeing a doctor….. I’ve already been told on enquiring to their front desk that they will be saying NO…reading the google reviews it’s the same… ‘ great doctors, but waiting too long between requiring an appointment to being able to get seeing a doctor… ‘. As in too many days and you can be 40 minutes after your appointment time on the day as in appointment 11.00 and don’t see your doctor until 11.40.

nothing negative about the care element , but oversubscribed and have recently lost a GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Integritate

It seems that we now have a 2-tier society in Ireland. If you work or a student without having enough finances to pay for private health insurance, you are immediately on the lower tier of society, compared to an asylum seeker or refugee from another country. When there is verifiable proof that medical cards, dole payments, housing, mental health services, education etc. etc. is guaranteed to people who arrive in the country within a very short time, compared to the challenges that many Irish people face when applying for governmental help, it is apparent that Irish people are on a lower rung for support. While understanding the predicament of Ukrainian refugees, why have Irish people who struggled for various supports for many years, been leapfrogged by people with no attachment to the country? This policy by the Irish governmental will only develop resentment. It makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

I had my first patient care with a Ukrainian refugee today. She was using Google translate. And after the first 3 attempts to understand even through Google translate (even through the 2nd one where I put my head down and pretended to snore) I didn't get it and had to ask her to see the Dr. And she didn't get that. It's a mess by our government

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

Also I put my head down to snore because I thought it was sleeping tablets

They’re getting to sleep on camp beds in sports halls before being moved to old, disused buildings to sleep up to 4 in a room, sharing bathroom and kitchen facilities with umpteen other strangers.

Were you speaking into the app or typing? If speaking, make sure that the text is what you want to say. It does take a bit of getting used to. Don’t use abbreviated words or ones that are understood by Irish people, but may not mean the same to others. Stick with it.

Refugees fill in the same form as Irish people do. The only difference is that they don’t have to get a doctor to sign the form. Ukrainian medical card holders are assigned a GP according to their location, rather than choosing a GP for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

we have people 10 plus years in direct provision denied all sorts of liberities,the state will in long term end up having to apoligise to em for way its treated em

So you suggest the government may have to issue a state apology on how it treated historical asylum seekers but in the same post are questioning why we aren't treating current refugees the same. Really? 😕

I have no idea what you mean by justifying terrible social policies, converting old hospitals and convents and introducing communal living for those needing emergency accommodation was out ruled as a plausible solution for emergency homeless.

If you mean the policy where successive governments outsourced their housing obligations and then provided private industry with a get out clause not to provide them, then I yeah I complete agree with you, it was terrible policy. Probably for another thread though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Potentially arrival of endemic animal diseases to our shores unchecked is a very big deal. Could be massively damaging to agriculture not too mention the obvious welfare issues. It’s not something to dismiss and virtue signal away which is how you appear to handle all issues and debate here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement