Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to firhouse in tallaght 😁

• 05-05-2022 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Im moving to firhouse in tallaght soon. Im currently living in Aylesbury tallaght and have to move closer to the mother in law as she provides free child care in firhouse, (tallaght) the kids schools, friends etc are all there.

I asked a firhouse resident was firhouse in tallaght recently and they nearly lost their cool with me, no its not they said. However, based on maps, looking at the history etc firhouse is in tallaght. Ive no problem when i move getting post delivered to, firhouse, tallaght.

Why do firhouse people not like admitting they are from tallafornia?

Its a great spot to live.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

From the fire in to the frying pan OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Wouldn't it be great if there was a West Dublin regional sub forum on Boards, oh wait there is.

https://www.boards.ie/categories/east-dublin-county-west

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Thank you, how do i delete this thread please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Firhouse isn’t in Tallaght but Knocklyon is in Templeogue.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Im originally from templeogue and knocklyon was never in templeogue when i was growing up. Parts of it are actually in tallaght.

Read here: https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/property/dublin-numbers-everything-you-need-18126982

• Advertisement

You seem to have an affinity for Tallaght and, if you want to say you live there, or are from there, you can but you’re just going to sound like one of those wannabe hard chaws who says they’re from Blanchardstown when they’re, really, from Castleknock.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Im not actually. I just dont understand why people try to mix around post codes to exclude themselves from a particular area they are from. Tallaght is a good place to live with a great community spirit. I help out at local sports clubs and there are many activities that cater for all ages.

Ive made a valid point backed up by an article and now you result to calling me a wannabe hard shaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Once you're not Tom Cruise, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Tallaght and Firhouse are both different areas in D24 . D24 is huge including Saggart. Some people from Firhouse get upset about the D24 = Tallaght thing, they don't want to be associated with rough parts of Tallaght.

It's a bit like saying Newcastle is in Clondalkin, it's not they're both D22.

Ah yes, the scientology centre. The land there is worth millions. Used to be a victory outreach centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

What is it with people from Dublin and their British like post code envy/obsession?

Generally You don't find this nonsense in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I don't understand the urge to distinguish between them

They're both equally sh1thole countries places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You do have to ask yourself though, would the Scientologists set up in Tallaght?

Look at their locations: Hollywood Boulevard, LA - the centre of entertainment glitz. Clearwater, Florida - perpetual sunshine and unlimited retirement wealth. Saint Hill Manor, the Grade II listed stately home on 59 acres in West Sussex.

Not Tallaght, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Funnily enough most of the people I know who have an issue with the D24 Tallaght Firhouse thing are actually country folks who moved to the big smoke. They're worried about the affect on house prices. I say country folk but I really mean people originally from Cavan.

I’m sure Tallaght is a lovely place, or has some nice “parts”, I wouldn’t want to live there, myself, too far out but if you like it that’s all that matters.

No one called you anything. I just pointed out that people might get that “idea” about you if you say you’re from somewhere you’re not.

Would you not check out somewhere like Oldbawn, that’s in Tallaght and near enough to Firhouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

People from Cavan worried about prices shocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

tallaght - the biggest hole in ireland,

sorry tallaght people, but you know its true😑

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Howdy neighbour. I'm in Aylesbury and went to school in Firhouse. To the lads from Firhouse, Ballycragh represented all of Tallaght.

I need literally right next to grans. My child has high needs and car travel is dangerous when he kicks off. Half a mil for any house that needs a lot of work now in firhouse.

It seems that a lot of addresses in firhouse state that its in tallaght :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Coming from Firhouse, tallaght begins at the Old Bawn intersection at the Old Mill pub.

As for Tallaght being a hole, anybody that can afford any kind of home instead of commuting from Mullingar, Longford, Cavan every day is doing a lot better than most!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm not from there but would have played football up there quite a few times over the years and yeah, to me it was just one of those extended parts of Tallaght - similar to Kilnamanagh/Kingswood/Belgard on the other side. I've never heard of anybody taking offence to it though. People are weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭terminator74

I would have thought that Firhouse is a suburb in S.Dublin rather than a part of Tallaght. If someone told me they were from Firhouse - I would take it as so rather than thinking they were from Tallaght. Whereas if someone said they were from Kilnamanagh/Kingswood/Belgard I would associate with Tallaght straight away. That's just my perception - not saying its right or wrong.

Its Wikipedia entry states:

Firhouse (Irish: Teach an Giúise) is an outer suburb of Dublin, in the county of South Dublin, in the south of the traditional County Dublin, Ireland. It developed from a rural village by the River Dodder, with a second settlement, Upper Fir-house, nearby. It is just outside the M50 orbital motorway, and in the postal district of Dublin 24 (Eircode routing key D24). It is adjacent to Knocklyon (with which it shares a townland) and Ballycullen, and close to Tallaght. In the historic divisions of local administration, Firhouse is in the civil parish of Tallaght and the barony of Uppercross.

As it was a village in its own right, its probably fair to say that it is a separate area than Tallaght.

However, its proximity and the fact that is was historically part of Tallaght parish might make its status ambiguous to some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Almost anybody who's lived there gets a weird affinity for it. My wife is from a posh part of Cork(if such a thing exists) and won't move from Tallaght now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Firhouse is its own place. As is Tallaght. They border each other, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Firhouse & Tallaght are both D24 but there's a lot of people who think D24 is just Tallaght. And considering the reputation Tallaght had for years (& some areas still have), a lot of people didn't want to be connected with it when they rightly weren't part of that area. Firhouse is an area in its own right. Same as Ballycullen other ones nearby. It's sometimes easier to put Tallaght as it's a more recognisable area to relate to where it is but it doesn't mean it's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Some of you Tallaght heads might be interested in this blog, some very interesting stories (including one about Mortons in Firhouse), for those who have associations with the place.

https://arambleabouttallaght.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2019-02-21T02:04:00Z&max-results=6&start=25&by-date=false

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a lot more to Tallaght than what many here seem to think is Tallaght.

I would say Firhouse in Tallaght, but Tallaght is a very big area, with many smaller areas within it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I bought in Firhouse, so D24. Friend of mine lives in Woodstown, Knocklyon D16 6 months after mine.

1 bedroom less and €15k more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

When Knocklyon started to be developed and before it became known in its own right, people did used to put Templeogue at the end of their addresses even though it was never really in Templeogue. If it was anything historically (back in the 60's and earlier when it was just fields) I think it would have been part of Rathfarnham which encompasses a huge area going right back to the mountains.

For at least the last 30 years, Knocklyon and Firhouse are generally regarded as being their own distinct suburbs. So not part of Tallaght, Templeogue or Rathfarnham. But if you want to keep saying you live in Tallaght, more power to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

As has been said above, people tend to assume D.24 = Tallaght, which isn't the case, no more than all of D.4 is Donnybrook.

Also, Tallaght is HUGE. Way bigger than most people who aren't familiar with it realise, and like most huge areas, it isn't a homogeneous blob. Parts of it are kiptastic, parts of it are lovely, most of it is grand.

I was at the firhouse shops today. There was a guy begging for change and a few addicts floating around. This is definitely tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sunnysideup34

Firhouse, Oldbawn, Aylesbury, Jobstown, Springfield, Citywest, Ballycullen etc are all Tallaght, Dublin 24. Any area within the Dublin 24 postcode is Tallaght. Some of the residents in Firhouse would like to think that Firhouse isn't part of Tallaght but it definitely is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Not just Dublin.

People from Meath are the same, Clonee in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

The best and personally funny thing about the scientology centre was the fact they innocently revealed the area's original address which clearly annoyed the locals as it's been changed now

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mrsgiller

Saggart and Newcastle are both county Dublin not Dublin 24 and Dublin 22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Newcastle had been in D22 since at least the 70s, though us locals used Co Dublin as the address. We also dropped the Lyons.... So it's no longer Newcastle-Lyons, which is a pity.

Lucan, however, bizarrely remains in Co Dublin.

It's how P&T devided things up, Rita the old post mistress explained it to me when I was a kid, but I can't really remember it well! Rita did assure me that Spud would get post to us even when just addressed to My Name, Newcastle, Co Dublin.... And so he did (dad even got post addressed to His Name, Newcastle, Ireland though that took a couple of weeks as it went to Down, Limerick, Wicklow etc...)

Advertisement