Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Newspapers can say or do what they want on election day. Any moratorium only applies to UK television and broadcast media.

There have been some famous election day headlines from the tabloid papers. "We've had enough of Corbins (sic) rubbish, vote Tory", "Your vote has never been more important - brave the rain, VOTE BORIS", "If Kinnock wins would the last person to leave Britain please turn out the lights".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It's hard to imagine any Daily Mail readers would be on the fence at this stage. Their key demographic is college educated women - they draw them in with the infinitely long page of celebrity pictures and gossip. Either those women are smart enough to stick to that side of the website and ignore their political coverage or they're already Tory supporters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It hasn't gone away either. Michelle Mone, a Tory peer just had her home raided by police and the BBC remained completely silent.

It's absolutely ridiculous and it's baffling because it's the sort of thing that will get called out instantly in today's world.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not often you see the British press behave like this but here we see Johnson get completely and utterly skewered instead of the usual fawning treatment we get of him as a character:

Susanna Reid is interviewing him here. She presents the case of a pensioner being devastated by rising fuel bills and he has nothing. Absolutely nothing but repeating his silly slogans and odious policies.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Good god I knew QT had a hard on for Farage but hasn't realised the ore Brexit discussion was that lopsided. Once more our own sometimes frustrating media rules on parity for sides in public debate are, ultimately, a guardrails against misinformation and exactly this kind of scenario. Shades of Hungary and the total 5 minutes national airtime afforded to non Orban parties.

Every sliver of news about the heating crisis breaks my heart, while enraging me to an extreme I didn't know I possessed. Genuinely upsets me to read of people reduced to that indignity. I'm not aware of the situation being half as bad here, not to that extent. But let's all talk about currygate and Angela Rayner's strategic leg deployment.

Eating the fúcking rich. Civility be damned, where has the Poll Tax riot spirit gone?

I was an avid QT watcher leading up to the referendum and I've shared that graphic here before. It's definitely true based on my experience. The BBC dodged the difficulty of the referendum by abjectly caving to the Brexiters and allowing them to spew whatever completely unchallenged.

There's a real stink of the nineteenth century coming off this energy crisis. But moreso, it demonstrates the complete lack of intellect on the part of the government. They're just coasting by day by day and can't come up with solutions unless they entail long term pain for working class people. They're barely even pretending that they care any more.

I was reading about the French revolution recently and, while the British will do nothing more than grumble as they place their "X" beside the Tory candidate's box on their ballet, this is the sort of thing that revolutions are made of. A large part of why Ireland eventually became independent was the fact that a tiny few people own the vast majority of the country. We allegedly have a historian as prime minister and he shows no understanding of history beyond cosplaying as Churchill. Apparently, he had the gall to tell Zelensky that this is Ukaine's finest hour.

Having so successfully rigged the game, they've forgotten how to play it as that skill and knowledge is now obsolete. They've secured their position by capitalising on polarisation and a relentless gaslighting blitzkrieg from their allies in the media. I'm not saying that people here are stupid. I'm saying that the press here have been lying to and gaslighting them for literally decades and they've done it because it works. We were only allowed a Labour government because Blair did a deal with Murdoch and Major's Tories were unelectable at the time.

I think a lot of people here are just exhausted. Social media has opened a new front in the information war and nobody quite knows how to handle it. I'll be voting on Thursday but it'll change nothing. My red borough will be just as unaffordable as ever.

H. H. Asquith

I don't think that graphic is the sign of bias that people think it is.

If QT was doing an EU program then the UKIP representative was always going to be an MEP as they had no MPs. The other parties would then be asked to put forward someone with a pro-EU slant. Their chosen representatives would logically be MPs as these are the best known people. The Tory/Labour MEPs were generally non-entities who weren't clever enough at politics to get themselves selected for a safe/winnable seat, not the sort of people the party would put forward for QT.

So to an extent it's less a case of BBC bias and more an example of the poor regard the two main parties had for the EU parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No it was get Farage on for the ratings. I was a regular watcher back then and it was shocking the airtime he got and the lack of scrutiny.

It was also shocking how the few mentions of NI were brushed aside.

I wouldn't disagree that they loved having Farage on.

But I still stick with the way it worked was the that the BBC would contact UKIP and ask for someone for an EU QT, preferably Farage. And they'd be given Farage.

The same BBC researcher would contact Labour and ask for someone for the same EU QT, suggest a few top names, and be given Barry Gardiner. Ditto with the Conservatives. The BBC don't get to pick the politicians, it's decided by who Central Office is willing to put forward and presumably things like 'whose turn is it, who needs a bit of publicity, who is local to whichever area this weeks QT is being filmed' came into it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

But it was not just the QT panel, they also packed the congregation. The same UKIP ones were in many programmes from different parts of the country. The louder the loud mouth was, the more likely they would be seen in later editions.

It cannot be anything but chasing the ratings (and getting them) resulting from the holy show they engendered by such tactics. So it was intentional.

But why keep asking UKIP they were not the only Brexit voice out there. They could have had DUP Maps for instance. UKIP were indulged too much not only for the referendum but going back to before the election that led to it.

QT audience was definitely a mess alright (still is I guess, I rarely watch)

I have some small second-hand knowledge of how the panellists were booked (as in my earlier posts) but am definitely not trying to defend the overall programme itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If I recall correctly when it was discussed earlier because Farage would always say yes and cause debate. It was that simple; Farage always said yes to show up and would make sure to stir the pot which was exactly the point of the program to "make it relevant".

At the time the Greens made a huge point about how little they were asked to come on despite having an MP where as UKIP with it's 0 MPs were treated like one of the major players.

All the various Scottish/Welsh/NI etc. parties who had way more than 0 MPs didn't really get asked either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Farage is like Piers Morgan; you hire him because you want them to court controversy for that social media engagement and potential vitality. Nigel Farage is a blowhard and charlatan but in this era, his empty polemical rhetoric was precisely what the Twitter managers wanted. It's a scurrilous tactic that ensured the narrative swung away from rationality during the Brexit debate, but the point for the BBC was never politics. Well, not entirely.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Remember when the Daily Mail berated everyone expressing concern because the Prime Minister of the UK actually broke the law, by saying "Don't They Know There's A War On?' That same paper has now run six consecutive front pages dedicated to Keir Starmer legally drinking a beer.

Here's the latest

They're also such very very strong men and women working at the Mail, that they are not able to come out and say things directly and have to keep hiding behind words like MAY and ALLEGED and CLAIMED and COULD and using selectively cropped photos, vague anonymous accounts of situations, which I'm sure people can make their own mind up about why that might be.

It's also clear that Boris Johnson and the Tories have nothing at all to the cost of living debate, which they are doing everything they can to possibly avoid. It's hardly surprising though after what happened on GMB this morning, where upon hearing about a 77 year old who had to use her free bus pass all day to stay warm as she couldn't afford heating, Johnson's response was a narcissistic boast about how she has that bus pass thanks to him. As always, he completely misses the point.

What is going on in the UK is scandalous, The Daily Mail has always been like this, but it's now at it's lowest ebb. It's basically now an extension of the Conservative Party. I always thought that the press being free was important, but when I see it being abused like this you have to ask yourself whether it is a good thing after all or not. The Daily Mail is morally bankrupt. It is no wonder they are such staunch supporters of the Tories, they literally exhibit the same behaviours that the Tory party have done under Johnson.

I just wonder what they will resort to on Thursday. It'll be something bigger than previous days, that is for sure I would imagine. They'll be saving it for then for maximum impact. After the last week or so I don't think you can rule anything out.

In other news, the Scottish Daily Mail, also calls Nicola Sturgeon a liar. See a pattern?

Imagine they had labels, like they do for food, on newspapers and news websites. They could have categories such as showing what parties their owners have donated money to or otherwise implicitly back. Which parties their journalists have worked for in the past or who are/were married to (I see Sarah Vine's name on the front page there too).

Like we can all have a good laugh at how horribly biased the likes of the Mail and Express are but there are a whole cohort of society who don't even realise it who read them regularly. They then are convinced that they have come to their own pro-Boris/Tory, anti-EU positions entirely independently of the poison that they ingest every day in the form of these publications.

Forgive me if it was already answered and provided, but have there been many polls released that might suggest how the local elections could swing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Don't think it has; this article has information on the big contested seats but as per the article:

Polling results published in the Daily Telegraph newspaper suggested the Conservatives could be set for their worst performance in the local elections since the 1990s.

The survey, conducted by Electoral Calculus with Find Out Now, suggested Labour could be on course to gain more than 800 seats, while the Tories are likely to lose 548 seats on councils across the country.

Veteran elections expert Professor Sir John Curtice told the PA news agency it was hard to predict the outcome of local elections, adding the loss of 550 seats was “not unrealistic”.

There's also the idea that the 800 seat loss is coming from Boris camp to sell a "only 500 seat loss" as a good thing in a "Well he did not do as bad as expected".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Brandon Lewis now saying that mentioning the NIP in the queens speech was never discussed and won't happen like Mogg claims.

Not exactly a blowout for Labour, but the drop in seats for the SNP is interesting; wonder who gains there, and if it has any reflection on Indy#2. If it's just the Greens picking them up them it has no impact.

Yep. I suspect it was there to give a digout to the DUP without exerting any real effort.

H. H. Asquith

Every time. Every damn time; the DUP fall for the bullshít of Westminster. It's phenomenal a grouping can be so consistently hoodwinked, while also, apparently, the fulcrum of Northern Ireland's political normality.

Bit of possible tomfoolery from a polling station in Camden to remind people of the state of the nation.

Proximity to food banks has been an increasingly hot topic in UK elections recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,652 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"What a fool I was. I was only a puppet, and so was Ulster, and so was Ireland, in the political game that was to get the Conservative Party into power."

Carson. There's a statute of him at Stormont, an entity he never really wanted and barely supported (as a Dubliner he wanted the entire island to stay in the UK and didn't support the actions of the NI Government after partition, refusing the offer to become Prime Minister)

101 years ago, famed speech by an idol of Unionists and they still don't get it.

I see Westminster city council has gone Labour for the first time in its history (formed in the 1960s), while looks like Labour and the LibDems are indeed taking seats off the Tories.

• Advertisement

Delighted for them. Some of the poorest people in England live there but used to be out voted by the rich who would then gut the council services which they didn't need themselves.

But shure the rich Tories in London these days are all Russians who probably couldn't make it back to vote 😜

Advertisement