Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,330 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

running health systems is far from easy, you ll probably find most across the world are now in a state of serious disarray, as ours is, but theres obviously something going seriously wrong with ours, and nobody truly knows what to do about it. unfortunately one part of the solution is actually more money, and a lot more at that, but this needs to be very carefully managed, and not just extracted by interest groups, in both the public and private domains, this wont be easy! it actually needs to go towards directly improving the system, and it cannot come from taxpayers, from the general population, we simply cannot afford to be taxed even more! we have to embrace rising public debt, and this wont be easy, and of course will be problematic, but this is truly the only option available.

our health care needs are far more complex now, far more than when our health system was created, it urgently requires the largest investment in the history of the state, and this needs to be done immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

80% of that form would not be applicable to someone clean into the country fleeing a war. You'd know this if you even glanced at it.

Evidence of rent, childcare expenses, travel to work expenses, nursing home expenses does your husband have a medical card, etc, etc. Would be great if people actually read the thing, critically thought about it then gave a measured opinion, but no straight to unfettered begrudgery. 🙄

Also re the Ukrainian form.

In 9 months, you will receive a letter from us inviting you to review your application for your Medical Card. The application that you will have to complete will be a full financial assessment and you will need to provide your income and outgoings

Oh, I read it alright. The question was posed up further to demonstrate the difference between Ukrainians vs Irish. Not begrudgery as you suggest. Just a fact.

The fact of the matter is, there are quite a few hoops that a homeless, illiterate Irish person has to jump though to get a medical card. Why can they not get temporary cards issued too?

What hoops, most of what was in the form wouldn't apply to them either, also if you happen to be illiterate you declare that and you will be helped with filling it out. They are more than entitled to Medical Cards if they fit the criteria. 😕

The way you are going on you'd swear they were like Willy Wonka golden tickets.

At the end of 2020, 1,613,015 people in Ireland held a medical card and 533,379 held a GP visit card; in total, 2,146,430 held either card, 43% of the population

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

The main thing missing from that form is the means section.

IT SHOULD BE THERE!.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They're not the worldwide cause de jour, they're an issue simmering in the background, they're mostly men, women and children get more sympathy and support anyway, they don't have nearly the same political or social media brownie points and there's the element of it's more their "fault", whereas people fleeing warzones have misfortune visited upon them. Homeless mostly male, many with mental health problems and substance abuse would be way down the list of what gets attention anyway. They can't hope to compete with women and kids and cats fleeing warzones, and lets face it White women and kids, as Brown Syrian women and kids didn't illicit hearly the same response. We can debate the whys and why nots all the day long, but it is what it is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

In my experience, and I am allowed give my experience, people here are not given the slightest chance to even get a temporary medical card.

Cancer patients have to literally fight for a card.

I have a child with a long term illness. Life saving drugs are covered by the long term illness card. Monthly GP visits, month blood tests, and medication needed as extra say for an infection or ailment costs, and other equipment has to come out of my pocket. I am only a few euros over the threshold to get her a medical card. And I've applied and appeal every so often.

There are thousands in my position.

Im on the same boat. Over the threshold, but its because we work our balls off each week doing shift work. They will get free medical cards which hard working people have to pay thousands for private health insurance. That's not fair, as they contributed nothing to the state. Some Ukrianinans could have lots of money, they should be made declare it on the form so the people that need the support get it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've changed the thread title as it has evolved into something that is discussing many more aspects of the impact of refugees from Ukraine than just accommodation

• Advertisement

It's not just illiteracy, but the medical cards are means tested.. and the means of your parents are often (depending on a range of circumstances) factored into it, including if you have a mortgage, which is counted towards being an asset. I know people who are struggling to pay their mortgage and other costs, but due to being in that situation (with the future possible returns) are considered beyond the bracket eligible for the card. Same with people who are earning low amounts, living with their parents, but as their parents have done well for themselves, the card won't be issued. The perception being that the parents who are already helping with accommodation, could help with medical costs, but we all know that's often not the case.

That's why Ukrainians are getting something that Irish people aren't. Their personal circumstances are being waived by their refugee status.

And do you think that in 9 months time they will declare their bank accounts in Ukraine? There are many professional people who have been declared refugees here, no one has an idea of their wealth and it will never be known. Meanwhile they have 9 months of not having to declare any earnings made here and still receive free medical care and medication.

People in direct provision have been scrutinised here. They get a paltry weekly allowance compared to what's on offer to a Ukrainian coming to stay here. Up until recently they were not allowed work. Vetting has been refused for many so they can't get certain jobs.

Sorry to here about your child.

If you are only a few euro over the threshold for a medical card I imagine you would qualify for a GP Card, the thresholds are lower, even at that if you are experiencing financial hardship because of it you may still qualify for a discretionary card. If I were you I'd consult with an accountant, a few euro can easily be written off on expenses you may have over looked.

Either way that is not really applicable to people fleeing a war who arrived with their lives in a couple of bags, access to basic health care would be a minimum, every single other country are doing the same. We are hardly outliers.

It makes my blood boil that people are giving out about Ukrainian refugees who have been through an awful ordeal ,their homes and people blown to smithereens and whose men folk are fighting the Russians.

Let them have their benefits that they have while they are here

Its called human decency

• Registered Users Posts: 29,330 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...it shows you where we are socially, we have decided to take our grievances out on each other, this approach generally doesnt end well for anyone!

I think it's irrelevant.

No Ukrainian refugee is going to be denied the card. The media would have a field day in reporting it, and the politicians would crap themselves over the failure of their generous promises.

People in DP have applied for Asylum.. a special status in Ireland.. and as such, they're under investigation to be given that special status. Ukrainians have already been given the status of refugees and all the benefits that go with being Ukrainian refugees. You are not comparing like with like. People in DP shouldn't even be compared with normal refugees (other than the Ukrainian situation) because the claim for Asylum is different.

It's simple enough. Most refugees get very little for being refugees. Which is why many will apply for Asylum, as that brings a host of benefits/supports with that special status. However, AS requires to be vetted and approved, which is why so many remain in DP. Refugees who don't apply for Asylum, can be approved really quickly, and join the workforce, living in Ireland, essentially the same as any other migrant, except they have the refugee status on their visas (and access to supports through the refugee NGOs), but they're treated differently to AS.

The Ukrainian situation bypasses all of that. They're going to get all the benefits of Asylum, without the limitations or investigation. A "special" case, because they're "European".

that people are giving out about Ukrainian refugees

No, that is called twisting the facts, misinterpreting others opinions, to assume some kind of self-appointed superior moral position. Honestly, the fakery involved really annoys me. I could understand it if you were reacting to what people were actually saying, but you're not.

Very very few posters have criticised the Ukrainian refugees themselves. They've criticised the Irish governments reaction, and the measures being put in place.

Its called human decency

Funnily enough, I think you should try it yourself. Human decency, that is.

Imagine.. using this situation, and making **** up, to further your desire to show your virtue. I find that rather disgusting.

If the government came out with a decent set of plans going forward, for both DP and Ukrainians, we mightn't have much to say on this platform. But right now, there are Irish people who need help and feel they've been forgotten. We've got refugees that fled from other wars who are treated like prisoners.

There was no money in the pot for housing. Now there is. Suddenly we've increased our population which undoubtedly will out strain in that area. I know someone who is waiting for a colonoscopy for 8 months already, was offered an MRI in the interim because there is no end in sight on the list. Adding more to the list without investment is frightening tbh.

Of course these people should be given help. But opening floodgates to financial support, housing, healthcare in a very generous way is only an attraction for others to follow on. Why do we think we've got a huge influx of ukrainans all of a sudden, its hardly because of the scenery or the weather!

The money isn't being printed somewhere. It will have to be paid back. My children will have to pay this back in the form of ridiculous high taxes, years of waiting lists, and not being able to move out of home. Yes, the issues were there already, but we've added to them by being so loose with money and no plan whatsoever as to how it'll be all paid for.

It would be a cruel person not to have empathy for Ukrainians, and all refugees from war, but to live in a society where we can live side by side, there has to be a decent life given to all, a one tier society, right now it's layering up.

Of course these people should be given help. But opening floodgates to financial support, housing, healthcare in a very generous way is only an attraction for others to follow on. Why do we think we've got a huge influx of ukrainans all of a sudden, its hardly because of the scenery or the weather!

The "influx" has drastically slowed into this country, the estimated 40+ K that were supposed to have arrived by now haven't martialized.

More are now crossing back into Ukraine than leaving.

I have yet to meet anyone who wouldn't give anything to be back home and have their lives back. Painting them as welfare tourists is crass in the extreme. Very poor form.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

unfortunately these kind of hyper emotional outbursts achieve very little- they don’t provide the resources those most at need warrant.

People in danger or who have lost all should be helped. The piss takers coming from places especially in western Ukraine virtually untouched should not. Perfectly logical

• Advertisement

Imagine making something up about another poster and ranting

I was reacting to the poster above who suggested Ukrainians should be means tested 🙄

I don't think anyone will admit that they will stay here, given they're not here that long. Of course they're going to be patriotic and say they will return...for the moment, they haven't settled, yet!

I suppose that remains to be seen if many will return, or will the men folk join their families here rather than picking up the pieces and rebuilding their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There was s qualifying and getting it, two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

yes, but said gp has to agree to take them on, you can’t have a GP / surgery just told, hey you have 40 more people this week, here is who they are... GPS can say “ ok , for now, no more. “ a GP is not obliged to accept new patients.

Rubbish, You didn't quote that poster, nor did you direct your own post at them. People. I think that was the word you used, no?

I'll withhold on the flood of sarcasm that I really want to throw at you... except to say, that you can do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Over 3,000 Ukrainian civilians dead in 2 months. Over 14,000 Ukrainian soldiers dead in that same time.

But whhaaa whhhwaa whhwwaaa the refugees are getting Medical Cards.

Their homes have been obliterated, millions of people feeling the country in fear for their lives but people are mad about medical cards because they haven't paid tax in Ireland.

Yes, it sucks that the Irish Government is doing more to help house Ukrainians, but blame FF/FG for that because they damn well haven't done squat for the Irish, not the Ukrainians.

I don't see anyone blaming the Ukrainians!!

And you might look at the Syrian war and fatalities attributed to that. Were and are those people treated as fairly coming into this country?

Why aren't we bringing Afghan women to this country to educate them? Are we treating them fairly?

It's got nothing to do with Ukrainians. And as a tax payer, I would like my taxes to be spread evenly to the Ukrainian, Afghan, Syrian and all refugees coming here, as well as the Irish people already living here. Evenly, fairly. It's not a competition as to who had more deaths in a country, or what they saw or experienced. Do you grade the amount of horror seen from one person to the next? Ffs.

Its not the first war and it won't be the last. Why not get the millionaires or billionaires to pay for it. Not paddy tax payer.

Isn't Zelinski worth over 500 million?.

Where was all the flag wavers when immigrants were crossing from Belarus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Half a million dead, 25,000 of them children, 10,000 executed by government forces, six million displaced internally, five million fled the country in just as much "fear of their lives" in the largest refugee and humanitarian crises on Europe's doorstep since WW2, whole cities turned to rubble, in an ongoing civil war and another proxy of US and Russia where the line which must never be crossed of chemical weapons was crossed. And Ireland took in 3000 Syrian refugees, half of them under 17 and each one of them vetted and no automatic medical cards, social welfare, allowed to work, never mind pets and car licences handed out shorrtly after arrival in Dublin airport.

So can you explain to me why one worse war and one set of double the number of refugees got sweet feck all by comparison to another who by the numbers alone so far have gotten ten times more help and near overnight? Why the disparity?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Yeah you continue making stuff up that fits with how you're feeling today

Or better still take a break from boards

I don't have to quote a partcular poster to refer to what I mean

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement