Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with an Inexpensive Data Back-Up Machine

Options
  • 05-05-2022 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

I have my most important information backed up on an external HDD and flash drives but I think I need a more permanent and elegant solution to this. Currently at home I have:

A Dell Optiplex 7010 with 16GB of Ram and a 1050Ti which is used as a Steam machine for my older games

A HP Elitedesk Mini 800 G4 (haven't really found a use for this yet but it's a nifty little machine. Space for an SSD and two NVME's

A Dell laptop with a single slot for an SSD

None of these strike me as particularly ideal for something which will just sit there and back up photos/video. At the moment I can't go nuts on a machine so have been milling some idea's around in my head such as buying a small mini-ITX case and doing something from there. Or acquiring an older Optiplex and putting dual 3TB drives into it and raiding them.

I've never had a machine solely dedicated to back-ups and I know inexpensive and data back-up don't go hand in hand. Lying around the house I have a load of DDR3, an unused 240GB SSD, so am open to building something based on older hardware.

Any suggestions?

Comments

Advertisement