Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

put up for everyone to see what monies are being paid in womens international rugby for England and wales and France.

i read the English rugby union pay up to 30000 for players, but not all players get that. Why would you go full professional for a wage that is so low and trade off a career for that .

the mens rugby game has serious money problems and France bought the next World Cup by offering millions that every union needed, there is also a very good chance that concussion claims could finish the sport if the courts find against the unions.

ladies rugby should stay amateur and I the ladies 6 nations and world cups should ban paid professionals , this would make the England experiment disappear overnight.

dont make the same mistake the men made on the 1990s , the game is not sustainable long term as a professional sport.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

I read an article where they said the ball is too big for ladies rugby. I was not going to say that here because I would have been accused of all Types

the future of womens professional rugby if there is going to be one is a smaller ball and the sevens game, that’s the game to promote

thats a debate worth having. AFL use a smaller ball in AFLW, Gaelic use a smaller ball in ladies football.

so the smaller balls suits the female physiology.

on the flip side you cannot achieve the same distance kicks with a smaller ball.

world rugby did trial a 4.5 a few years back but the general consensus was for a return to a size 5

i think a bigger issue is womens rugby going from a 4 to a 5 once you leave youths age grade. At least in male rugby they play with a 5 from 16s onwards so they are well used to it when playing adult rugby.

we used a 4.5 this year for our club u18s to train with (and it was a bitch to try to actually source a 4.5)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Irfu looking for those involved in women's game to give feedback on the game I Ireland right now...

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2022/06/02/irfu-seeks-submissions-to-women-in-rugby-action-plan-survey/

Ireland Women’s Squad, Japan Tour:

Forwards:

Chloe Pearse (UL Bohemians RFC/Munster)

Christy Haney (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)

Clara Nielson* (Exeter Chiefs/IQ Rugby)

Dorothy Wall (Blackrock College RFC/Munster)

Edel McMahon (Wasps/IQ Rugby)

Emma Hooban (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)

Grace Moore (Saracens/IQ Rugby)

Hannah O’Connor (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)

Jo Brown* (Worcester/IQ Rugby)

Katie O’Dwyer (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)

Laura Feely (Blackrock College RFC/Connacht)

Linda Djougang (ASM Romagnat Rugby/Leinster)

Maeve Óg O’Leary (Blackrock College RFC/Munster)

Neve Jones (Gloucester-Hartpury/Ulster)

Nichola Fryday (Exeter Chiefs/Connacht)(Captain)

Sam Monaghan (TBC)

Taryn Schulzter* (Saracens/Ulster)

Backs:

Ailsa Hughes (Railyway Union RFC/Leinster)

Aoife Dalton* (Tullamore/Leinster)

Dannah O’Brien* (Tullow RFC/Leinster)

Emma Tilly* (MU Barnhall RFC/Leinster)

Enya Breen (TBC/Munster)

Kayla Waldron* (Hamilton Hawks/IQ Rugby)

Lauren Delany (Sale Sharks RFC/IQ Rugby)

Leah Tarpey* (Tullamore RFC/Leinster)

Molly Scuffil-McCabe (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)

Natasja Behan (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)

Nicole Cronin (UL Bohemians RFC/Munster).

43 centralised contracts starting this season including those on 7s contracts now

With Gillian McDarby appointed as Head of Women’s Performance and Pathways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm not sure appointing from within is the best option but it's all a whole lot better than it was before.

Obv we dont know who else applied but i think her background in High Performance as both an athlete, she was an elite level cyclist and in support roles in cycling and rugby means she knows what has gone on before and what should be expected.

She has a lot of experience and opportunity to fix a lot. While she is an internal appointment i dont see it as an issue considering where shes come from and her experiences before that

Appointing from within to a position is a hell of a lot better than not having that position at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's a very tricky situation as do you bring in this new rule, which isn't easy, or do you wait and hope for the best that there's not going to be a bad injury?

Just be aware the science is very one sided on this and anywhere that has brought in such a ban where they polled the women in that sport, it had the support of the vast majority them. Then there's also that the numbers of people transitioning has been steadily increasing and the ages of those transitioning steadily decreasing.

• Administrators Posts: 54,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You missed the one above 😉

Anyone know if the women's games in Japan will be televised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Do people have opinions on the two former English internationals making their way into the Irish squad for the Japan tour.

Not sure if the games are being broadcast. The IRFU website doesn't even list what time they are on at which is a big failure imo.

I have an issue with this one and her red rose still in her Twitter bio the day she flies out with Ireland.

Doesn't help that she's nowhere near Moloney in terms of form but Moloney is the sacrificial lamb.

How is she eligible? Never actually got capped for England?

Last cap more than 3 years ago, ditto Jo Brown. Must have Irish heritage though I could find no mention of it in any articles I read yet their eligibility/heritage is one of the first things mentioned in relation to male players playing for other countries than their home nations.

Both games to be shown live by TG4

Still no mention of game times though

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Great to see the game on TG4. I will be keen to see if the issues with the scrum and lineout have been improved to any degree. that's where the last 6nations went downhill.

Dan.

The lineout has been an issue for a couple of years now, it's a huge part of the reason we're not in the 15s RWC.

Scrum issues partly to do with player size, iirc the Welsh pack in the 6N had something like 90kg on ours. That's like having another large person in the scrum.

Player/Club/Province/Caps –

15. Méabh Deely (Blackrock College RFC/Connacht)*

14. Natasja Behan (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)*

13. Aoife Dalton (Tullamore RFC/Leinster)*

12. Enya Breen (TBC/Munster)(14)

11. Aoife Doyle (Railway Union RFC/Munster)(10)

10. Dannah O’Brien (Tullow RFC/Leinster)*

9. Ailsa Hughes (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)(14)

1. Linda Djougang (TBC/Leinster)(22)

2. Neve Jones (Gloucester-Hartpury/Ulster)(11)

3. Katie O’Dwyer (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)(10)

4. Nichola Fryday (Exeter Chiefs/Connacht)(27)(capt)

5. Sam Monaghan (Gloucester-Hartpury/IQ Rugby)(9)

6. Dorothy Wall (Blackrock College RFC/Munster)(15)

7. Edel McMahon (Exeter Chiefs/IQ Rugby)(19)

8. Hannah O’Connor (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)(12)

Replacements:

16. Emma Hooban (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)(11)

17. Chloe Pearse (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)(5)

18. Christy Haney (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)(4)

19. Taryn Schutzler (Saracens/Ulster)*

20. Grace Moore (Saracens/IQ Rugby)(3)

21. Nicole Cronin (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)(20)

22. Leah Tarpey (Tullamore RFC/Leinster)*

23. Molly Scuffil-McCabe (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)(2).

6 new caps in the 23.

6 players not playing their rugby domestically for what it's worth.

• Advertisement

very interested to see how dannah o brien goes at 10

hopefully she can solve our out half woes that we've had over the last 5 years

I am still keen to see if our front row can hold up in the scrum. It's not changing much at all from what I can see. No 10 [ O'Brien] well, the first 15 minutes will tell that story. We might see a few box kicks from the newbie. I do think some variation can help our game as being too square with no plan B tend to be a hindrance, and please god they will not try any more fancy tricks in the line out as they looked just naff during the six nations.

Dan.

Did TG4 just miss the first 13 mins? It's 15-0 suddenly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Is this available in HD anywhere, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Great try

• Advertisement

Great try from two players waiting on their leaving cert results

great reply from ireland after a difficult start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,434 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This Japanese side are not up to much, but at the same time its max effort on show from the Irish women, chasing every opportunity and committing fully to their plan, from which they are putting on heavy pressure and getting scores.

The debutants are showing skill and speed and massive workrate and the biggest enemy out there now is cramp in the heat and from the huge yards covered.

A few injuries have been picked up as well which may well limit selections for the second Test, but overall McWilliams has to be pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Great display as you can only play what's in front of you.

Got to give praise to the ref consistent and explaining all and didn't forget about the yellow with time up lots of refs would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We only beat them at home last year by 3 points in a 15-12 final result. While we did play most of the game with 14 that day, you still have to be happy with that result. Especially with the debutants and the trialling of new half back options. It’s def a performance that can be built on with a lot of good elements to it. I liked Breen at 12. Fryday, Monaghan and Djougang were all good again. And I liked what I saw of Moore off the bench.

Does anyone know the strength of that Japanese team.

Was it a first choice team or was it a bunch of fringe players playing for a place in the extended squad for the World Cup.

Breen was phenomenal at 12, our key playmaker.

An excellent result... but do that note, Japan did not contest too much at the line out, only twice did they work in the scrum and overall apart from their no 7 they never stepped up a gear after their big first 10 minutes. It was excellent to see our no 10, O'Brien, finding her feet. That said Dannah would not have 10 meters of room around her on the ball at the 6 nations, her kicking is super. One line out was fluffed badly but we still held the ball. I think we won on account of our driving maul. Nerve had a day she well remembers for a long time. 10/10

A top job from the coach too. The changes were made at the right time. Still very dependent on Linda Djougang lasting 70 minutes.

Dan.

Japan leading 12-5 at half time

Ireland have been sloppy and missed tackles given Japan plenty of opportunity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭bluedex

What an awful performance from Ireland. If you can't pass, can't catch and can't tackle you have no chance. A lot of work to do! 😐️

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭mun1

Too many players out there who cant do the basics today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,434 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Disappointing indeed. They are missing the experience and heft of Monaghan and Wall in the loose forwards. Very hard to get a toe in the game when you've no platform.

The truth is Japan aren't as terrible as they looked last week, nor as good as Ireland are making them look this week, which highlights Ireland's inconsistencies.

McWilliams has a lot of work to do, but the good news is that there will certainly be 3 games in November to get more ironed out before the 6N in the Spring.

In the meantime the Professional system will be rolling out and hopefully players will be getting far greater daily training through the provinces and centrally.

It was poor. We really missed the four injured players from last week. So so so many errors.

Substitutions were bafflingly late especially front row. Conditions were hot and humid and those girls were dead on their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Must have been a fairly different Japan team on the field this week

I doubt that there will be a set of November internationals for the women.

So many other teams will have the rwc in October/November. Will they want to go rwc to autumn internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

I prefer to see the women playing an exciting form of rugby and not any of this stand offish nonsense we have seen from our mens teams.

Certainly, they will make mistakes and concede but the time will come when they iron out those errors and come good.

The first Japan team was something of an experiment, the second term sent out a front row with a power play. 2 weeks ago they [japan] did not really challenge anything but last weekend they ran at every green shirt moving. Our problems are still there and have not improved since the 6 nations. We could be looking at a 3-year plan to create anything of note. Without a powerhouse front-row player, Ireland will depend on athleticism to score and win. Speed off the line and so on. The driving maul will only work 1/2 the time for us.

Dan.

im hearing malone RFC just pulled out of the women's AIL

WTF. 2 days before the start of the league????

anyone know whats going on up there?

• Advertisement
Advertisement