Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep…Now that a precedent has been set there will be political spheres and NGOs looking at the wars in Kenya, Somalia, Yemen, Niger, Ethiopia, Chad, Togo, etc where tens of thousands die a year ….. there will never be a single minute on the existence of earth where wars do not happen… there should never be a situation where people who have worked to build a society can have elements of it and their wellbeing removed or compromised just because XYZ is happening elsewhere… yes, war is terrible but it is an element of human existence we in Europe have zero control over.

need to look after our own wellbeing…mindsets need to change.

Yeah you continue making stuff up that fits with how you're feeling today

Such as? You made the claim, and passed your judgment. I quoted and responded directly to what you wrote.

I don't have to quote a partcular poster to refer to what I mean

Of course not. You can continue to make vague accusations towards the people on the thread..

Maybe, it's you that needs to take a break, because you're just digging yourself deeper.

Sonics.. could you quote a variety of these posts which are blaming the refugees themselves? Cause I don't see it.

Although, I would point something out. Before the conflict happened, Ukraine was a hotspot for scams of all types, usually involving dating/marriage but a wide range of other scams too. It had a corrupt political system, and a lot of social problems.

Most of the criticisms that could be considered as being aimed at refugees, relate to taking advantage of the badly planned/implemented system the govt has set up. Why have Ukrainians been elevated to sainthood, where they wouldn't take advantage of what's being offered to them? I can't recall any poster suggesting that every Ukrainian would behave this way, but the perspective is there, that some would. No different to the Irish people who take advantage of our own welfare system.. it happens. However, you would have us believe that all Ukrainians wouldn't do that? How does that work, when prior to the conflict, scams were so common in Ukraine? Does becoming a refugee turn you into a perfectly honest person?

None of this is a criticism of Ukrainian refugees, btw. It's a recognition of basic human nature. People take when they have the opportunity to do so. If anything, I'd view it as perfectly reasonable for Ukrainian refugees to take advantage of what's being offered, because their lives (and that of their children.. if they have any, which many don't) are in flux, and they're not in any kind of secure situation.

The vast majority of posts I have seen on this thread are directing their concerns or criticisms towards what's being offered to the Ukrainians by the government. There's very little criticism being directed at refugees themselves. And most of that criticism (little as there is) is very tame, and still comes back mostly to criticising the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I still can't get over the fact that they think that those terms trump reality. They think that just shouting about being a "decent human", a "compassionate person", is a knock out blow, but really it means nothing at all. It's just something that they think that they can shame people with. Also, as has nearly always been the case with humans, the people who make regular claims of being X, are usually the opposite. The smart man doesn't run around telling everyone how smart he is, the good person doesn't run around telling everyone how good they are. They are those things in the purest sense so they don't live with a need to convince the world of their credentials.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Nonsense

All the hallmarks of keyboard warrior in your last couple of posts to me are there

I gave an opinion and firmly believe it

I think giving out about Ukrainian refugees is Saddo stuff and un empathetic

Welcome to my ignore list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pancratic

I mentioned the Ukrainian refugees impact on housing in the accommodation thread, amongst 20 other, obviously unallowed, issues on housing.

I was told by the moderator that if I wanted to discuss those significant factors of housing that it won't be allowed in the accommodation section, and to try the political forums instead. Sounds legit, doesn't it? A tightly controlled narrow narrative that benefits some.l, it's across all media. It's not a complaint, just a statement of how things are. There's nothing wrong with transparency. That's the way it is. Fine.

Hence serious, impactful issues are sent off to die out of sight. The Ukrainian refugee numbers being allowed into the country are a most serious detriment on top of the existing, rapidly failing housing fiasco. Mentioning it or discussing it has nothing to do with ukrainians themselves, it's not an attack on them, but an attack on the decisions being made here.

Despite best efforts, even the controlled media are having to let slip the odd article now. That's when you know it's spinning out of control, when even they begin to acknowledge out of spite. Look at the below. Sounds great!

And then you read about the impending pension crisis, and everything else. I read that the country "needs" an additional 4 million migrants to prop up pensions by the year 2050. What kind of a mickey mouse haimze of a leadership has lead us here? It's genuinely unbelievable to credit. Totally out of control. Talk about a pyramid scheme.

What's after that, an additional 8 million migrants needed to support the 4 million migrants by 2080?

I don't think people realise how truly and utterly screwed this country is. And that's because barely a word is allowed said about it.

So, no, it isn't about migrants, or ukrainians or their personal attributes, likes, dislikes or preferences. It's nothing to do with them at all. It's all about us, and what we're going to have to do to re-establish some semblance of normal function and society.

All the hallmarks of keyboard warrior in your last couple of posts to me are there

You really do love to pass judgment on others... and without providing a shred of evidence to support yourself.

Welcome to my ignore list

Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's been explained to you several times.

Syria is not in Europe. Flooding Europe and the EU with millions of refugees in order to destabilize Europe and the EU is a tactic employed by Putin and his Soviet expansionists.

But lets be honest you didn't want Syrians either did you? You've you just changed the names on your contrary template.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Nobody is giving out about Ukrainians. They are expressing an opinion of how the floodgates have been let open, how the government have put one cohort race of people on a pedestal to bleed our already bleeding economy, health system and housing crisis.

They are expressing how, for years, we've had homelessness, poverty, overcrowded classrooms and hospitals, but now, how government has made it look like we are akin to Monaco, a fabulous state with plenty of money, by bringing in people who are not vetted, know nothing about their circumstances, a free for all.

Surely people are allowed express opinins to the situation we find ourselves in? Or do you think we should shut our mouths and grin and bear it?

Where did this "Putin is the one behind the migrant crisis" narrative come from exactly? I've heard it several times, yet I'm assuming it's something that people are just making up, because it makes no sense. If Putin is behind it all, why have the EU facilitated it? Why has nearly every policy they've created made it easier to come here and not harder? Are they in bed with Putin or something? Is that it?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

It's as simple as this. We need, as a simple matter of fact, to reduce the population.

Not only do we not need more people, not only do we not need the population to stay the same, we need to reduce it.

Let's get real. They are never, ever going to build enough housing to reduce costs. They can't even build enough housing to keep up with the ever increasing demand. Just look at the article above as to how this is playing out. New hospitals? New infrastructure? It's just not going to happen. All we are doing at this point is further dividing finite resources amongst more and more people.

Syrian, German, Vulcan, it doesn't matter who they are, it's not personal. It's about numbers, and there are, patently, too many people here. Reality time.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I realise it's a very difficult and indeed very emotional topic. Can we please try and keep the discussion civil. There is no need t0 and no point in attacking other posters. I am sure everyone has sympathy for these refugees, and I'm certainly on the side of the discussion that is encouraging us to do more. However there is a continuum of positions that people may adopt, and everyone is entitled and indeed encouraged to put their own position without feeling others may jump on them because of the high emotions involved

I think we should carry on as is yes until they can go home or 3 years whichever is sooner

I think we should really embrace those who want to stay work and contribute

Our domestic set up (one of the best in the world) should have nothing to do with it

Certainly complain if their being here reduces entitlements for Irish welfare recipients

But that's not happening

What "migrant crisis"?

You mean the millions of Ukrainians who have fled their country because of Soviet Expansion?

Obviously thought the answer would be quite obvious.

Best to ask a question and let you try figure it out.

Why do you think Putin targets civilians en masse, whether that be using missiles, cluster munitions, mass rape or mass executions? - think about he doesn't need to, does he?

Then his bot farms try and paint Ukrainians fleeing that as corrupt, nazis, skin head gang members or welfare tourists just on a jolly who will jump ahead of EU citizens for health and housing.

All though this thread is doing most of the work for them. I'm sure their grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

This is a ridiculous claim about Putin.

On one hand we shouldn't take refugees from Syria because it's part of Putin's plan to destabilize Europe.

But we shouldn't cap refugees from Ukraine because.... Ukrainian refugees are not a Putin plan to destabilize Europe?

None of that answers or proves anything, much as I expected. You avoided all my core points too, and you did so because you can't answer, because those questions can't be answered in a coherent way that aligns with your beliefs.

Also from that link “In 9 months’ time, you will have to make a full application for a medical card. This will include a full financial assessment or means test.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭enricoh

Give the housing minister a shout marine layer that clown thinks we'll need 35k houses for Ukrainians who stay here permanently! It's not happening says marine layer on the internet- hard to know who to believe!!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40840220.html&ved=2ahUKEwjG7ZGXtsj3AhVKasAKHZkEAakQFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw33alv_3m7V7L8edYeAthRn

An extra 35,000 permanent homes could be needed for Ukrainian refugees on top of the 33,000 new houses that must be built every year, the Housing Minister has said.

Why do we want any more people here, whether they contribute or not, in a country that is failing?

Are they bringing their own houses with them into the housing crisis? Great.

Are they bringing hospitals with them into the stuttering health system? Cool.

Are they going to reduce the looming affordability crisis? Nice.

Or do you think that what this country is lacking is more exchequer deficit to be propped failingly?

Did you know that some economists predict that in order to maintain our la la Land that an additional 4 million people are needed by the year 2050? I'll tell you why that insanity is coming, it is because of the blinkered insanity of today.

No, we need less people. It doesn't matter what they are doing or not doing, our problems are based on the amount, not quality. We need sustainable planning, forethought and resource management.

Ukrainians or not, more people is simply divvying up scare resource. If the goody two shoes want to improve resource, do that first, then invite people second. I have a feeling you'll be waiting a long, long time for any kind of sustainable approach like that.

Stop advocating for other people, now and in the future, to clean up the very serious messes your emotions invite today. Think, not feel.

• Advertisement

I have literally no idea what you are banging on about but you seem to be denying the actual fact that Putin is weaponizing refugees. I don't know what your "beliefs" are but they don't seem to be tethered to actual reality.

But again it's not just my opinion.

EU High Representative Josep Borrell said this at a press conference in Brussels following a joint session of the Ministers of Defence and Foreign Affairs, Ukrinform reports.

"At the moment, there are 3.3 million refugees, and the flow continues. I am convinced that Putin is using refugees as a tool, as a weapon. Sending as many as they can. They have not destroyed transport infrastructure; they just destroy the cities in order to terrify the civilians and make them escape. We are ready to help all of them. This an asymmetric burden, because some Member States, on the border [with Ukraine], are having a stronger burden. They are facing this flow of refugees in the frontline, but all Member States will act in full solidarity to attend these people,"

Of course if you have an evidence based theory that refutes the EU high commission and several Ministers of Defence, by all means tap it up I'll gladly take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,448 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They are people in emergency need due to their lives being torn apart and destroyed. We can share a bit of what we have with them to help them.

Most people here should be comparatively well off. If you are not comparatively well off yourself compared to someone who has lost their home, and livelihood, and probably family members, then you probably need to take a step back and reconsider your own life choices that led you to that. They have the excuse of the war. You have no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

If you believe that Syria and specifically Syrian refugees were a Putin plot to destabilize Europe, then does it not also follow that Ukrainian refugees is a Putin plot to destabilize Europe?

Thats your view

Poles apart from mine on the matter

You can plead to emotion all you want. It doesn't change anything in reality.

The day people get a euro every time they smile at an italian, another brick in a new hospital is put in place for waving a flag of the latest beleaguered conflict, a place for their child in a school is opened for a hearty slap on a Nigerians back, then people will change tack.

Until then, we live in this reality. And we have a very serious resource problem that shows every indication of worsening well into the future. Problems that are intrinsically linked to the volume of people. That's all there is to it.

As the phrase goes, "mouths are cashing cheques they can't afford". Are you going to pay for it, or do you care who pays at all?

Sustainability is the safe future. Sustainability is not inviting more and more people into the country.

Fair enough.

But somebody has to pay, someone has to put up the housing, someone has to provide the healthcare infrastructure, somebody has to put up the school places, and rent spaces and so forth.

The very last thing on this country's list of actual problems is an employment crisis. Yet we keep hearing all about how we need more and more people. Backwards land. So backwards it's a cock step to genuine conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,448 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

All you have is a ball of irrational emotion yourself. No point trying to project anything onto others

Can you show us some of this irrational emotion please, as I can't see it?

I wasn't talking about Syrian refugees.

But yes Putin used the same tactic there too.

He did it to Turkey (amongst others) who in turn threatened to send them all into the EU.

Refugees who are made homeless because of conflict will invariably stay in the country of conflict or the surrounding areas in the majority, unless the country / countries hosting them become completely overwhelmed, then they either close their borders completely or move them on.

Right now the vast majority of aid finance from the EU is being sent to these countries and Ukraine to try and prevent that happening.

• Advertisement

Yeah, right.

Never mind economics, resource management, sustainability, population metrics, pension statistics, healthcare, housing and so on. That's all "irrational emotion".

Says bloke ignoring all above, while pleading to emotion about the latest world tragedy.

When the dust settles on this latest thing, and 5 years from now you or someone you know is put back on some serious housing issue, some queue in a hospital, some lack of educational access due to championing yet more people into country for the feels, let me know how it feels then.

Let everyone know. Don't forget now, don't be side-tracked by the future drought in Ballwaniastan while you're watching the clock tick in some packed waiting room for 8 hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement