Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Supreme Court to overturn Roe vs Wade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

No. The user was distinguishing between two things the anti choice brigade try to conflate and obfuscate. Which is at 34 weeks we do not terminate a fetus/baby. We terminate a pregnancy. Meaning, quite simply, we prematurely deliver a living baby and keep it healthy to the best of our ability.

So the user asked you, and you deflected and dodged, "Who said killing 34 week old babies is ok?". The reason you deflected and dodged is clear. No one said that. So you have no answer to give.

And I object to the use of language intended to humanise a fetus before it's due. And during our own referendum here every single anti choice poster I confronted on this issue essentially ran away.

It seems the reason people say "baby" is not the objection you claim, but in fact that the word is more evocative and emotive and so is an attempt to emotionally invest the electorate in the development of the fetus to a degree far beyond what is warranted. The result of the referendum suggests this tactic failed however.

Having listened to anti choice campaigners speak on the abortion issue for nearly 30 years now... I am well used to this. Their entire approach to the discussion appears to be to conflate biological life and human personhood as much as possible, almost exclusively through rhetorical moves and linguistic distortions of this kind. Clinging to words like "baby" and "life" and "human being" in lieu of any actual substantive arguments on the matter.

Actual moral and ethical arguments against aborting, say, a 12 week old fetus appear thin on the ground. Though I have sought them, and continue to seek them, as I said for nearly 30 years now. But the failure of their rhetoric and their failure in the referendum appears not to have sparked any motivation to go back to the drawing board here.

I think the difference between "fetus" and "baby" is actually entirely irrelevant except as a rhetorical emotive move. Mainly because I do not ascribe moral and ethical concern to anything based on the label it is given, so much as based on the ATTRIBUTES it has. I can think of no attribute a 12 week old fetus has which warrants any moral or ethical concern.

To answer your rhetorical question however, when we treat women for the emotional trauma of losing a pregnancy we in fact do distinguish with them the difference between having lost a baby and having lost a pregnancy. Precisely because it is "just" a fetus. I have written on this fact extensively in the past. I can do so again if required.

But humans are a narrative driven species. So much so that one writer even half jokingly suggested we should not be called "Homo Sapien" (Wise Ape) so much as "Pans Narrans" (Storytelling Chimpanzee). People can become emotionally invested in a fetus, and the baby and child they intend for it to become. So much so that this child becomes real to them early in the process. And so it's loss hits them equally emotionally. And this is the simple answer to your question about things like "Compassionate Leave". Though there is also a functional aspect to this as well as losing a pregnancy is not a trivial event medically either and as such temporary leave is justifiable for that reason too.

All that said however, the fact that some people become emotionally invested in the process is irrelevant to the discussion of abortion. Simply because one persons unwarranted emotional concerns is not something the rest of us should be held accountable to. Their emotional investment in the process, as beautiful as that may be in and of itself, does not hold us to any moral or ethical concerns that are relevant to the issue of elective abortion.

"Your definition mentions abortions usually take place within 28 weeks of pregnancy."

Which is a little misleading as definitions go as the statistics I found over the years show that the near totality of elective abortions happen in or before week 12 and certainly by week 16. The near totality of abortions AFTER this period are done not electively but due to some other necessity such as fetal abnormalities or the health of the mother. So posting pictures of a premature birth after 22 weeks is just an emotive move with no intellectual content at all.

As I explained to Pussy above, terms like "baby" and "fetus" and "Human being" are therefore nothing but red herrings and obfuscate what should really concern us. Which is that it matters not what a fetus LOOKS like. We even had one user who very comically went on about how it's tongue moves.

What matters is identifying A) What attributes precisely should we use to decide when to ascribe moral and ethical concern to something (such as human rights) and B) does the fetus have said attributes.

At 12-16 weeks, and in fact for some time afterwards, there is no reason I am currently aware of to suggest that the fetus has developed at all, let alone brought on line, the faculty of human consciousness/sentience. This is the only attribute I have found in nearly 30 years of conversations on this debate which warrants ascribing moral/ethical concern to an(y) entity. As such I fail to find any intellectual argument against elective abortion at this time.

Should any other attributes exist that I have missed I am all ears.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nonsense.

Prisoners, black people, and school children have heartbeats and feel pain but somehow the American right is more than happy with their being murdered.

It's about misogyny and control. Nothing else.

The EU isn't a country. It's a geopolitical union made up of mostly small states so allowing them to be rolled over would collapse the whole thing. The US is a single country. Once it was a union of states but its democracy has been perverted mostly by the right through gerrymandering and the broken senate. 20 million Californians and 285,000 Wyoming citizens each having one senator is beyond parody.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 23,924 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Prisoners, black people, and school children have heartbeats and feel pain but somehow the American right is more than happy with their being murdered.

It's about misogyny and control. Nothing else.

They’re really not though. As far as Alveda King, one of the most prominent anti-abortion campaigners on the right is concerned, abortion is about racial discrimination -

King is a pro-life activist. She had two abortions before changing her views following the birth of one of her children and her becoming a born-again Christian in 1983. King frames the issue as one of racial discrimination; she has referred to abortion as "womb-lynching" and accused Planned Parenthood of profiting from "aborting black babies." King is director of the activist group Civil Rights for the Unborn and is director of Priests for Life's African American outreach.

In 1996, she denounced her aunt Coretta Scott King for her support for abortion rights.

On September 22, 2020, King appeared in Birminghamalongside political activists including Amie Beth Dickinson to present the Equality Proclamation. The document, signed on the 158th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation's signing, argued that the tactics and locations of abortion providers like Planned Parenthood were racially discriminatory. According to a document distributed by the group, King and the other signees believed that “the targeted practices of Alabama abortion providers are both discriminatory and disproportionately harmful to black mothers and their babies” and that a legal case could be made against abortion using the Tenth Amendment.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alveda_King

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/identities/2018/1/19/16906928/black-anti-abortion-movement-yoruba-richen-medical-racism

The assertions that being anti-abortion is about misogyny and control and nothing else, are grounded in the same beliefs that people who are anti-abortion don’t care about women and children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Frankly, I had thought that at the time Roe was decided, there was concern about population growth and particularly growth in populations that we don’t want to have too many of.” source

The Eugenics motive has never been far away from the abortion debate, even the late Ruth Bader Ginsberg stated that she believed that others' concerns about overpopulation might have influenced the US Supreme court's decision in Roe v. Wade. To put that in context the popular environmental concern in the late 60s/early 70s was the Malthusian over population scare. The eugenics aspect of population control has in decades since abortion was legalised blended into the climate change scare.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That just an empty appeal to authority and nothing more. The people who speak loudest about being allegedly pro-choice are conspicuously silent when it comes to the suffering and murder of actual human beings. That speaks volumes.

I was on this site for the 2018 referendum. I got a pretty good look at the anti-choice side's motivations and no amount of disingenuous image dumps or quotes will change that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

If we're going to dump quotes:

The unborn are a convenient group of people to advocate for. They never make demands of you; they are morally uncomplicated, unlike the incarcerated, addicted, or the chronically poor; they don’t resent your condescension or complain that you are not politically correct; unlike widows, they don’t ask you to question patriarchy; unlike orphans, they don’t need money, education, or childcare; unlike aliens, they don’t bring all that racial, cultural, and religious baggage that you dislike; they allow you to feel good about yourself without any work at creating or maintaining relationships; and when they are born, you can forget about them, because they cease to be unborn. You can love the unborn and advocate for them without substantially challenging your own wealth, power, or privilege, without re-imagining social structures, apologizing, or making reparations to anyone. They are, in short, the perfect people to love if you want to claim you love Jesus, but actually dislike people who breathe. Prisoners? Immigrants? The sick? The poor? Widows? Orphans? All the groups that are specifically mentioned in the Bible? They all get thrown under the bus for the unborn.

- Pastor David Barnhart

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Not only is it premature, it's completely daft to see so many lose all sense of perspective, for, what is, a document that was never going to see the light of day in it's current form.

Any of the other justices in argeement would have made edits, comments, recommendations, to this initial draft and it may not have even been the majority position by the time it was released. Any of the judges can change their vote right up to the time the decision is due to be released, as has happened in the past.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,924 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s a direct refutation of your criticism of authority, in this case the American right, on the basis that you claimed they were happy to see prisoners, black people and children murdered. I was giving an example of one of the most prominent anti-abortion activists on the American right, who refers to abortion as “black genocide”.

She is not only unhappy with the idea that black people are disproportionately targeted by abortion providers, she also pleaded with the then President for clemency for 100 prisoners after Kim Kardashian secured clemency for Alice Johnson (later granted a full pardon by Trump) -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Marie_Johnson

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/403238-martin-luther-king-jr-niece-asks-trump-for-tidal-wave-of-clemency/amp/

The allegation that the people who speak loudest about being allegedly pro-choice being conspicuously silent when it comes to the murder of actual human beings is a different claim entirely from the first one about the American right. I can’t think of any examples of whom you might be referring to, but it sounds like another attempt at guilt by association of a different group entirely, when the first allegation about another group doesn’t stick.

I was on the site in 2018 too and I too saw some people’s motivations for their anti-choice positions. I don’t expect memes would change anyone’s opinion, certainly didn’t change my opinion when I saw graphic posters of unborn children pasted up on lamp-posts outside Supermacs Family Restaurants. I immediately reported them to Gardaí, no need for that sort of thing.

For what it’s worth, memes of elephant and dog fetuses aren’t particularly clever either. All mammals will look similar at that stage of development, the difference of course is that we share more characteristics in common with human beings than we do with other animals, regardless of the fact that some people refer to their pets as their fur babies and place considerably more weight on their relationship to their pets than they do to other human beings. On those occasions I prefer to remain silent, they can generally tell from the expression on my face that I am not amused, but I don’t want to be rude 😒

EDIT: that last point isn’t a dig at you personally ACD, I only just remembered you have a cat. It was a recent interaction with my boss where she took the opportunity to express her affection for her fur babies. It took her a few minutes to register the fact that I was quickly losing the will to live 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The judgment is problematic because it will be so destabilising, and yes, pro-lifers ensconced in various legislatures will make the most of this opportunity, which is deeply unfortunate.

I'll make this point however, and I hope it's not misconstrued, maximalisits on either side of this debate make it a really really horrible topic to discuss.

For instance, I voted to repeal the 8th amendment because I believed that a restraining article in the constitution was suffocating a sensible and humane law on terminations. Having that article in the constitution restraining the Oireachtas was a pro-life maximalist position and had to go.

What I did not want however, and perhaps this was inevitable, was my vote to repeal to be taken as a signal of a pro-choice maximalisit position. For instance, I remain deeply uncomfortable with terminations for socioeconomic reasons. But, that got lost in the victory march.

The middle ground in the abortion debate is as intemperate place and you're as likely to have arrows fired your way as if you were on either extreme of the debate. And I concede that many people will tell me I have no business in saying that terminations for economic reasons are none of my business. I disagree, ultimately we are all custodians of our society and legal framework - and I don't think terminations for financial reasons are healthy for society or the individual availing of them. I've given that a lot of thought, and I can't see myself moving from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

But, we're talking law here. How would you 'police' the reasons for terminations?

I take the 'trust women' approach. It's their bodies. I don't get to decide for them, they get to decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Edit: deleted. I recall contributing around the time of the referendum and regretted doing so. I'll stay out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I am not sure the "middle ground" is always a place you will get arrows fired at you though. I guess it depends which part of the middle ground you occupy and how you choose to express that middle ground.

During the referendum debates I received a lot of praise for my posts on the subject, and push back from people who disagreed with me. But even had people who disagreed with me say openly or in PM that they appreciated how I wrote on the subject compared the more extremist posters, or the more vitriolic posters.

However there was one aspect of the middle ground I tried to express over and over again. And I was thanked for it by people even vehemently opposed to my pro choice positions. And that was simply to acknowledge that pretty much all of us.... pro choice or anti choice.... want less abortions to actually happen in our society. Aside from some rabid and extreme anti natalists.... pretty much every man and woman wants less or ideally no abortions to actually happen. We just disagree on HOW to attain that ideal. I see that as a middle/common ground position and not one arrow has been fired at me for it (yet).

As for policing peoples reasons for having an abortion.... I simply have never turned my mind to it too often. Given I can not find a single moral or ethical argument against abortion in and of itself.... I can not police peoples reasons for availing of one. I might find their reasons distasteful personally.... but I find it irrelevant in relation to my belief in their right to have one. Just like I protect your right to eat whatever you like foodwise even if you tell me you have a distasteful reason for it such as wanting to get so fat you can claim disability allowance. Your reasons there would disgust me, but I would still stand for your right to eat how and what you like.

I am not sure what is wrong with making the choice for economic reasons. After all many people put on a condom for that very reason too and I have nothing against that. People have economic reasons for choosing not to become parents. Abortion is just one methodology for that. So if one were to have an issue with someone choosing abortion for economic reasons... one would have to have the same issue for ANY contraceptive surely? Or even abstinence?

I did hear the rather obscene view posited on this forum once, which I can link to in PM if required, that abortion is an attack on lower class women because allowing such women abortion means they will not be compelled by their pregnancy, and subsequent parenthood, to better themselves. The same person seemed to take issue with single parent allowance or welfare and the like too if I remember right, but time is the enemy of memory on that one and I would have to check.

Sigh. Where would women be without middle class men to motivate them to a better life, huh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

The Internet has exposed that 50% of the population think people like Ben Shapiro are worth listening to and following. Frightening really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Economics101

This thread is far too much about re-running the debate on the Irish 8th Amendment. Could we return to the US Supreme Court?

The problem is that for decades, the appointment of Supreme Court justices has been over-politicised. In Senate hearings, nominees to the Court are questioned more on political and social matters, than on legal ones. There are also the recent machinations of Senator Mitch McConnell in refusing to even the consider President Obama's nominee at least a year before the next election, while pushing for the approval of President Trump's nominee to fill a vacancy mere weeks before an election.

Given that the process is mandated by the US Constitution (Senate approval for Presidential nominees to the Court), the only real solution is a constitutional amendment. If you look at the supermajorities required to do that, than you should know its just not going to happen.

So Roe V Wade is just one aspect of a Constitutional process which has been gamed and abused to death by politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I really doubt its anywhere close to 50% those who support the likes of shappiro are simply an annoyingly loud and vocal minority

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Yep. They seem to think the conservatives are not supported at all yet they're red states.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,423 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thanks neither did you just now.

If you think you have evidence of something better or contradictory feel free to contribute it. Or not.

• Advertisement

That’s for Ireland. This thread is about the jurisdiction of the United States. As were the posts you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Pro-lifers in the US are a loud and vocal minority yet they hold incredible power.

As for the impact of this potential decision - look at this coming out of Louisiana. Leaves the door open to the goal of charging those using over the counter contraception with murder. That is covered in another SCOTUS decision but it will definitely be on the table to move to overturn it by the logic at play with Roe v Wade.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I read an article about this last night where it discussed the potential problems that the removal of Roe vs. Wade creates for the GOP.

Fundamentally , there simply isn't majority support for significant restrictions on Abortion - I previously posted the stats but in every single demographic grouping , the majority are ok with abortion "in most cases". Lots of nuance in that of course , but broadly speaking , people want access to the services.

The only group that want to massively restrict/remove access to Abortion are the White Evangelicals who represent only 15% of the US population.

The GOP have pandered to this group since Reagan when they were a much larger % of the US and have essentially been able to play the part for years comfortable in the knowledge that Roe vs. Wade was going nowhere.

That allowed them to tell the evangelicals what they wanted to hear and sabre rattle away without ever pissing off the rest of their voters by actually removing Abortion.

However now , after Trump filling SCOTUS with hard core fundamentalists , the GOP are potentially looking at the nightmare scenario of actually getting what they've claimed to want for decades.

Across the board 60%+ of people in the US want access to Abortion and have done so consistently for decades.

Multiple Red States already have laws in the books (again that they thought would never ACTUALLY take effect) that are wildly over the top and restrictive - There are multiple examples quoted in this thread - Laws leading to 20+ years in Prison for Doctors and Patients and more.

They will now have to answer for that with their voters if this does to come pass.

One thing is for sure , it's not going to win them any more support , far more likely to significantly damage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Abortion polling is very sketchy to say the least.

Polling has said that Roe been overturned is hugely unpopular, but polling has also said that when it comes to 15 weeks the vast majority of USA folks favored that which is something RDS has signed in Florida.

Some of the solid red states will obviously go more restrictive than that (and have), but 6 weeks for those in purple/soft blue states would never be adopted by Conservatives because it would be political poison.

Regarding support the only base it may affect is the barstool conservative element who would have been with the GOP regarding Covid, "freezepeach" e.g the brigade who may listen to Portney, Rogan etc who lean left when it comes to this but after that its very hard to know until you see the final draft, anyone who says so confidently is in the echo chambers or is wishcasting.

Republicans trying very hard to bite their tongues and keep the confetti in their pockets

Despite working, openly and proudly, to overturn Roe for 49 years, those same Republicans seem gunshy about celebrating at all, just complaining that the leak may have politically jeopardized their victory lap.

That's all well and good in isolation but you're not dealing with a fully rational electorate, unless "rational" in the future includes some thought patterns that we've never heard of.

Most of the Democrats' positions are supported by a majority of people. Between their messaging which is a massive issue and one that even after Trump got elected they seemed to want to do little about and the tendency of many voters to vote against their own interests the GoP just keeps getting back in. And they will continue punching far above where they should be able to for the medium term at least thanks to playing the game and pushing and breaking the rules which the Democrats tut tut and talk about democracy and principles.

At the end of the day, how many at the protests were drifty voters let alone absolutely never going to vote for the Republicans? People apparently think they do better under Republicans (even though it's not the case) and tend to vote that way. If they'll be a grand a year better off under the Republicans (supposedly) then for the comparatively tiny amount of people affected a lot will say "Well, that'll easily cover the gas over the border" or "Nice, that'll be 10% of what I have to pay that stripper".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Fair points - As I said lots of nuance in the statement of "support Abortion in most cases".

But fundamentally, the majority of people want reasonable access to Abortion services throughout the US.

The GOP have been chasing the evangelical voter base for years, which is particularly important to them in the Primary phase so they have been in an "arms race" of sorts to be the most vitriolic on the issue to keep them onside.

The problem they now potentially face is that all that Rhetoric is coming due for payment.

All those extreme laws that GOP Governors have enacted at State level comfortable in the knowledge that they would never actually take effect are now potentially going to go live on State statutes unless they change them.

The problem is , if they now try to dilute them the evangelicals will burn them , but if the laws take effect every single other demographic will burn them instead.

They are stuck between a rock and a hard place entirely of their own making.

The weird thing is that that demographic was never going to flip Democrat anyway and it's not exactly a source of electoral growth the same way as, say the Hispanic vote. By chasing them with such alacrity, they've alienated everyone else and this is a debt which will demand repayment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 firminjo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 firminjo

Will it be overturned?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement