Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,588 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

For anyone hoping this show won't have the same influences as Discovery had from the likes of Paradise and Kurtzmann you will be delighted to know Robert April is black now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was TAS ever canon? That was the only time we met April, right?

Going by the photograph it looks like it's from the first episode when Starfleet have to ask Pike to come back - he may not be a series regular as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Up until the end of the Enterprise there were only a few episodes that were, including the one about Spock's childhood, but for some reason when the new group took over they canonised all of it which is a bit of a weird move since they went on to actively ignore canon.

Apparently that's like, totally, not a thing /s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I only watched up to the end of the credits so not a huge amount to go by (will watch the rest with the wife at a later point), but just the feel of the thing, straight of the gates, resonated better than anything from Disco/Picard. Efficient storytelling, a good sense sense of wonder albeit a little hokey - the episode is written (and directed) by Akiva Goldsman after-all ... so I'll gird my loins for the inevitable crap, flowery dialogue Goldsman can't resist.

Also, spoiler-not-spoiler: Captain Wynonna Earp! I know the actor has a name but I will only think of her as that lol.

Still makes one's eyes boggle to read the producer credits: 1 producer; 3 co-producers; 4 supervising producers; 14 executive producers. Madness. Hopefully we don't see the same inconsistent execution plaguing the other Treks. I'd love to know how many names in there are active members, or just heads sitting at the back of the production room.

It's a big gripe in US movies where shows are created by a team rather than a person.

It's why shows like Expanse, GOT (before it passed the books), Killing Eve (book season), Fleabag, Handmaid's Tale (book season) were a huge success. The were the world and story of one (2 for Expanse) person. Often now when you see a movie or show tank the "created by committee" line won't be far away.

I'm not watching this until the entire 1st season has aired and reviews have it stand more to the Lower Decks than Dis-card of the world

I heard someone describe it as the only "true Trek along with Orville" which should suit some people 🤣

But waiting for the whole season to see if its more LD than Dis/Pic all I can say is "YOU ARE SMART"

I'm happy to check it out week to week, if the first episode pans out ok but the ripchord will be pulled the moment any smell appears. Certainly won't give it 6 episodes as Picard got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I deleted my comment.

Will put in other thread with spoilers.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Oh FFS, it's only on Paramount+ here in Scandinavia :(

I know I'm not pushed to get Paramount+ for it, but am I pushed enough to set sail? Ehg....I dunno, I like the ease of viewing on mobil apps. (I know tricks to make that work, it's just that it requires more effort than I recon I want to put into it).

Got Picard and more importantly Lower Decks here on Amazon Prime, so was happy with that. I might actually wait a couple of weeks and build a little buffer, watch it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Same, I'll watch it at some point but having to hoist the jolly roger means it might be a couple of weeks or so before I get round to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I enjoyed that first episode. Just hope it stays good. I think there is big potential for it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Oh you should watch the last episode of it but ye mostly everything in between episodes 3 to 10 were just filler. 4 episodes out of it is all that was good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Naw, to hell with Picard has been my opinion. Invested 16 out of the 20 episodes and methinks that's enough time spent. Wasted.

Ms

Well that is your choice. I enjoyed the last episode so much better than all the 6 filler episodes before it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Honestly, even knowing those episodes ARE filler annoys cos it means my time was further wasted watching a show that couldn't even construct a coherent, propulsive 10 episode story. That shouldn't be hard for any show; when I still watched the CW superhero series I could forgive wheel spinning when there was ~24 episodes to write - but 10? Naw. A waste of potential.

Ms

Oh I agree it is a disgrace that they could not right 10 coherent, propulsive episodes. It should not be hard to do if they were good writers.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Watched the first episode and that was good. Star Trek is back. Yeah lots of quips and showiness but damn I had fun watching that. Not a single dud beat among the cast and the ensemble really made a good impression.

Do we know how many episodes we can look forward to?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

Anson Mount announced on Twitter July 24, 2021 that filming had wrapped on the ten episodes for the first season. He added that, "Old school fans are going to be VERY excited to see what we're trying to pull off with this one. Getting to do many things I've never attempted as an actor. So much fun!"

@pixelburp Do we know how many episodes we can look forward to?

IMDb confirms 10 episodes for the season, 7th July for the 10th episode.

Ms

That all 10 episode :( . It deserves at least 15 a season I think would be great.

I wonder when they start to shoot season 2?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mormegil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Acosta

Good start. I wouldn't say I'm loving it, but it is very watchable so far. And as most people are saying, it feels a lot more like star trek than all the other Kurtzman rubbish.

But I will reserve judgement until the end of the series. I have no faith in the people running star trek and after yet another atrocious season of Picard, I have good reason. A season, which in fairness, started off Ok enough.

Nothing much annoyed me about it. One thing that does irritate me a bit, which has been a feature of JJ Abrams star trek universe is the very casual relationships and interactions lowly cadets and ensigns have with senior officers. And I like Pike and this actor portrayal of him, but he's not far off telling everyone to just call him Chris. Also, Number 1 appeared a lot sterner and one that was not to be messed with it when she was in Discovery. I preferred her that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Regarding the casualness of interactions between senior and junior staff… Totally agree. The fact cadet Uhura is just freely talking to Pike and Spock like they are work colleagues in an office environment is a bit too far in one direction for my liking. But…. It’s not something that bothers me too much. I just like it when Starfleet is presented more toward the military style of command structure.

Uhura is no different to Wesley, Nog or Kim really. None of them should have been anywhere near a briefing room. The wonder kid officer has always annoyed me in Trek.

Personally though I would prefer they hadn't used the character as the closer to a fresh crew the better for me. I don't mind the Cage characters or Chapel and M'Benga as they were fringe TOS anyway.

I'd be the opposite really. I know we get military vibes off Starfleet but it's really a vast peacekeeping and exploration armada. On a ship like the Enterprise whose mission is one of science and exploration I'd expect more interaction and stuff between senior and junior staff.

Serving on a defiant class or thunderchild starship could be very different alright.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I enjoyed it. Im not as critical of discovery as everyone is here. Picard was passable.

I liked mounts portrayal of Pike. It has a Shatner vibe - masculine but vulnerable too.

It's good to have stand alone episodes. The way things have gone If I have a gap watching something I have to go back and refresh my memory.

I thought Lt. Kirk was going to be Jim but turns out to be the brother! Though I hear Jim kirk will appear season 2.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the standalone episodes mean I will actually go back and watch them. Like I still do with DS9, TNG, etc, etc

The long endless season makes it near impossible to go back and watch some good stand alones.

Can place on one hand the Discovery episodes I'd watch again.

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement