Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

not pushed on mullen in midfield, dont think he works hard enough. Would be more in favour of deegan midfield and reid centre back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

I have been critical of Richie Reid as I do believe he lacks the pace and physicality required. But if ever we were going to use Richie Reid it was Sunday in the second half with a strong wind at our backs. Galway were working back and Richie Reid would have picked up plenty of ball and would be a scoring option. Deegan loses far to much possession and is not a scoring option in the half back line. Half back line of Browne, Deegan and Carey(who is doing well) is one of the weakest half back lines in the top 9 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Huw Lawlor is definitely out for the rest of the round robin, according to a few of his fellow club men. This is huge loss as others have said he was one of our best players, playing consistently great this year.

Post edited by tbiggertycome on

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭briancoolcat

Great post there I agree with everything you said, I dont know the ins and outs of what players are being told/ asked to do but we are playing a hybrid half arsed system at the moment with no real belief in any system. It's glaringly obvious from the brain dead scores that Murphy especially, and the backs give away in matches. That 1.2 that was needlessly coughed up against Galway was the losing of that game in hindsight. We probably didn't deserve to win but I would have taken the draw. Anyway I've said it before the buck stops with Cody, for a man that has won so much I can't believe he hasn't or won't changed with the times. But he hasn't and he won't it's obvious to us here on this forum, we can go around in circles but it's not going to change until it changes at the top. I will always admire and be proud of what Brian Cody had achieved and if I have to watch Kilkenny under his stewardship for another five years so be it. We will work like dogs and make teams work hard for the win but we won't be winning an all Ireland, that much I am certain of. Congratulations to the U20s by the way it did my heart good to see lyng, Barry and rice on the line driving them on. Three legends cutting their teeth together and Henry to come back in three years to lead us on hopefully. The wheel will turn again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Absolutely shocking if true regarding Buckley but it doesn't suprise me. Anyone could see last Sunday when put under pressure we hadn't a clue what to do. Defenders are on different pages than the forwards.This has happened the last few years in the games we lost and just ends up in lumping ball up. Criminal to say we haven't a clue what we're at despite trying to do this a few years.Theres no smooth link up play that came from the training ground. It's just make it up as we go along and do it for the sake of it. We desperately need a modern coach who will be listened too.

Huw is one of our most improved players and will be a massive loss because its the one position we've no replacement.Delaney will probably go 3 but lack of gametime and sharpness could be shown up.He has lost Any bit of pace he had since the injury and had an awful night against cork in league.Wallace could of done a job here if he was still involved. He could put deegan back to 3 nothing would suprise me at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

I think Lawlors absence tilts the game in favour of Dublin. He has been by far our best back this year and perhaps even the last 2 years. One of the great things about him is that he attacks the ball and doesn't play from behind and just wait for his man to get the ball before trying to disposses him.

I have a really bad feeling that things are going to go from bad to worse this year for the seniors. Its like things are coming to a head and there's no stopping g it, like a runaway train almost. Heres hoping I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

While very disappointing to read what tbiggertycome has to say about training it really doesn't surprise me. It just confirms what we've been witnessing on match day when the players struggle to perform decent link up play. Eoin Murphy gets a lot of flak but it's been obvious that he's confused as to what's expected. I've said it on numerous occasions that we're just not practising various moves in training enough, if at all. I listed various boxes that need to be ticked to achieve the best results in today's "modern" game. Of course that includes link up play, short puck outs etc but it also includes what might be classed as cynical stuff like delaying puck outs at times, going down when fouled with the medics in like a flash, more use of the throw ball and so on. But it's not Cody's way and we'll continue to struggle until there's a change.

Hopefully the under 20s do well in their remaining matches. Lyng, Rice and Barry deserve great credit for staying local. They should be first in line for a possible vacancy at senior level, hopefully soon. If it did work out for them it would rule Shefflin out. I'm sure he'll be happy to do the circuit of Ireland in any case. Of course it will very much depend on how it works out for him in Galway.

super, one of the few players playing well at the moment. Still think we should win, Dublin really struggling for scores, not saying we've been great. Hard to see beyond a clare/waterford quarter final assuming they get through this. Look forward to the long wait to find out who's the manager for next year then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

I was as thrilled as anyone with the U20 win but we need to keep a sense of perspective

Galway were missing 2 of their very best players and then lost Sean Mc Donagh (who scored 2-8 versus us in 2019 minor final) before HT, yet we won by a point largely thanks to a fluky goal.

Added to that was the fact the first 20 mins was excruciating stuff, so sorry, no way have the three lads suddenly got my full confidence (the performance last year at u20 with same management was abysmal, despite on paper a very decent squad).

Wexford despite beating us at minor are only ok, beat both Laois and Dublin by a point. If we beat them we should have no fears of Limerick, we beat them by 12 pts at minor and they wont have Cathal O' Neill for final either.

The two big favourites for U20 this year, Galway and Cork, are gone, and we have a squad that has lost no one due to senior rule, so anything short of a win now would be disapointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Any chance Padraig Walsh will be put full back again?

• Advertisement

Hmmmm I'm not so sure about all that. Have you watched Limerick at U20 this year? They have looked the best team in the competition so far, I don't think what happened 3 years ago has any relevance to what will happen this year.

Regarding the U20 management team - I'd agree that last year was abysmal but they produced a performance when really needed the other night, there's no question about that. So they do deserve credit. All three are committed to the cause without big inflated egos and have clearly created a huge spirit within that group of players. They also made good changes as the game went on which shows that they were aware of what was happening on the field.

I personally doubt the missing Galway players would have made a huge difference on the night. It seems Shefflin has these on board for the long term rather than what they are really going to contribute presently. Greg Thomas is on that senior panel and he was poor the other night and got taken off.

Something which has been ignored here has been Cody/Kilkennys decision NOT to bring any U20s players in this year. He has spoken in the past about how he would prefer players get a full education at this grade before moving up to senior. There jave been rate exceptions down through the years, but not too many in fairness.

After an indifferent start they really fought their way back into that game and should probably have won late on in normal time before it even got to extra time.

If the U20s can get over Wexford(by no means s guarantee) then I think we play Tipp isn't it? So that's at least 2 competitive games for this relatively young squad which will be of enormous benefit for their development.

Hope not, he's been moved around enough, Delaney should be in there

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

No, Tipp are gone and Limerick await winners of Leinster Final.

2019 Al Minor is relevant, it is largely the same personnel, so if we get to final and are beaten, quite simply Limerick have kicked on far better than us, and that would have to be a concern.

I haven't been blown away by Limerick at U20, they are playing with the confidence that is surging through the county at present and played two matches (including the final) at home. Clare were much the better team in their first match. I didn't see Cork match but I know very little was expected of that Tipp team.

On any reasonable formline a team you beat at minor by 12 points (and now down its best player), you should beat 3 years later at U20. Galway also beat Limerick in minor 2020 by 15 pts. So this Limerick team is an amalgamation of two teams beaten in 2 AI semis by 12 and 15 points and now down its best player. If they win it out, we should therfore all be scared at what Limerick's are doing in the developement of 18-20 year olds. The difference in physique in likes of Cathal O' Neill and Colin Coughlan in space of 2 years is staggerring.

On senior call ups, there is no one on Kilkenny U20 that should be near senior team, the best players are at least u19 with a few even u18. The most physically powerful player on team Joe Fitzpatrick is in 5th year in school.

Actually you are right. They have dispensed with the provisional runners up getting back in. Strange decision that. I actually would prefer the old system with more games.

You have to say winning an U20 with this system would be no guarantee at all of future success. It seems a bit easier to win one now.

However I do think the current team we have has several potential players thar could make it and I am excited by them. They have had to deal with a bit of adversity too which is never a bad thing with young players, it makes them hungry to succeed.

The format of the U20 has long been a bugbear of mine. It should be a developmental grade for all counties with a league system with 5-6 matches guaranteed for all teams. How else are you supposed to justify the budget spent on training up to 40 lads for 6 months +. Also how is a team like for example Laois supposed to close the gap at that age? Our current U20 team certain benefited at minor level from 8-9 games played I'm their all ireland final run back in 2019.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that U20 players should not hurl senior at all so that would solve that issue. If they were really actually serious about the non existent burn out issue then that's the ki d of decision that they would make.

Galway also have a leaving cert in their panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I wasn't getting carried away with the under 20 management team after the win against Galway. What I was saying is that Lyng in particular has been willing to serve his apprenticeship. He ought to be considered when the senior vacancy arises. His commitment to Kilkenny hurling is unquestionable, unlike some who could have served a similar apprenticeship or at least offered something to the county scene.

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Your message above seemed like a bit of an unnecessary dig at Shefflin to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,867 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I think they should consider putting the best candidate forward as the next manager, the one with the best plan in place to win all Irelands, rather than whoever "deserves" it based on other factors. But I realise that is a radical notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

The problem with the minor form line from three years ago is that after Wexford beat us fairly comfortably in the Leinster final, we went into a round robin with Galway and Clare (Munster runners up). I would suggest that the two extra games brought us on a lot. The two provincial champs got hockeyed in the semis after going without a competitive game while we got two extra. As far as I can see only seven of the fifteen that started against Limerick three years ago started against Galway a few days ago. 3 and 6 are clearly up to the job. After that though the jury is out for me.

You can add 8 and 11 for me too.

And number 1 and 13.

Post edited by therealdonster on

• Advertisement

Just because a team beats a team at minor doesn't just mean they will definitely beat them 3 years later at U20. If only life was that simple! Teams develop, some players improve while others regress which is all perfectly normal and the way it always was.

We have a big enough job for starters just beating Wexford this Monday which is no guarantee. There would be a big mental and physical come down after last Mondays heroic effort.

quiet with that negativity. u20 this year, 2025 senior is in the bag then, guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Good post

I don't think anyone is getting too carried away with the win but it was just such an important win and after the few beatings they got off Galway at minor it was a big relief. You'd have to admire them the way they hung in and kept coming back and finished the better, infact we drove 3 wides at the end of normal time to clinch it.People are happy for the lads over it aswell all sound lads. What impressed me was the subs and management have a few decisions to make. This team isn't the best team of all time but if they can get the win next Monday and get to a once off who knows. Sean mcdonagh was a class minor alright and a big loss no doubt.its a pity shine will probably be gone for a while.Couple of positives was Tallis who is so confident and joe Fitz who is a big man. Billy Drennans free taking was exceptional I think he only dropped one short which the goal came from.Clifford got a few points and was unlucky with the pass from dunne he could of got a goal. That win and a monkey off their back could give them confidence. Wexford are no world beaters either.

The minors have reacted to the goals conceded and changed the goalie and full back for tomorrow's knock out game against laois. Derek mcgrath is involved with laois

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

ye did beat us by 12 at minor level but by my counting of the team that beat tipp in the 20s during the week 8 started v kilkenny in minor semi of 19, and remember you often go on about the better development of limerick players and others over kilkenny plus we're missing a few more due to injuries including diarmuid hegarty (gearoids brother) who didn't play the minor in 19 as he was injured but scored 1-3 from play in last yrs munster 20 final but unfortunately is injured again.

true we won't have cathal o Neill which is just the most craziest rule .

saw a bit of the kilkenny v galway game it looked good the bit I saw but also thought the tipp v limerick match was top notch too

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I wouldnt be giving any one credit for 'staying local' in regards to coaching. Why would that be a positive? Staying in a comfort zone isn't great in life at all.

The struggles of Tipperary, Cork and to a certain extent Kilkenny are partly because these counties dont have an especially outward look with coaching. Theyve had huge success doing it 'their' way.The likes of Waterford and Limerick have embraced the new tactics and new way hurling is played. I dont think it's any big deal that Henry went to Galway. It's unusual for Kilkenny but didn't Justin McCarthy and lots of others do it in Cork for years.

Now Cork has about 4 or 5 times the population of Kilkenny and people don't know everyone else there buy even in Clare there was never an eyebrow raised when the likes of Lougnane went to Galway or Fitzy to wherever.. Its a small minded mentality to be so insular. Shefflin will come back yo Kilkenny a better coach.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭robwen

Minors Currently live on TG4 YouTube

Throwing this sway with a lot of poor wides

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭me89

Lost by 3 points to Laois

• Advertisement

They looked a better coached team and made much more use out of their possession.

Dominated the second half but hit wide after wide after wide - must have hit 12 or 13 wides in the second half alone, accuracy has become a real problem at all levels.

A really terrible result for which questions must be asked, maybe it's what's needed.

Advertisement