Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The fact that I didn't previously correct your frequent mistakes calling it p2.5 is down to politeness on my part

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Ditto regarding your many erroneous claims otherwise too many to mention.

Though curious you chose to bring that one letter was omitted only now , when you've lost the argument

But as I said no matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It looks as if you are attempting to avoid @Mecanudo`s, but no matter.

Seeing as your were casting doubts on The Farmers Journal article I posted, do you now have doubts about the SEAI report as well for 2021 that I also posted, that shows from the drop in renewable energy electricity generation last year just how unreliable renewables are as an energy source ?

Nope. Read the comment again if you didn't understand it the first time in context

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Eamo adding briquettes to his ban list eventhough Pippa 79votes is telling people to burn them. GREENS imploding?

• Advertisement

Not sure how you got that from this "Personally I would like to see all forms of destruction stopped, bog rewetting on a large scale and restoration/rehabilitation works where rewetting can't occur."

The very odd and bizarre thing is it seems to be the greens once again engaging in a very deliberate programme of misinformation and disinformation. Who do they think they are? Vladimir Putin and friends?

Peat Briquettes were already designated for the ash heap with Bord Na Mona having decided to cease production within the next two years

I guess its yet another tilting at windmills effort that they will try and claim victory over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Big difference between 1000tonnes of bog sliding off a bog and someone taking 2 tonne firing but expecting someone pushing 60 and still living with their mother grasping this is pushing it

From the SEAI report they said a number of gas turbines unexpectedly went offline which caused us to have to turn coal power plants back on. Where are your comments about the unreliability of Gas power stations?

• Advertisement

So you deny the production of peat briquettes was already scheduled to be finished?

Interesting that rather than engaging with the discussion - you've now resorted to employing bizarre Americanisms. Ah well.

Which part did you not get . That greens and environmentalists being such apparent experts on bogs had no problem with building windfarms on them that could, and did, cause landslides, or that from your posts it comes across as if you would be happier if there were no humans on the planet as their needs are a hindrance to fulfilling the green ideology

There's a bit of 1+1=3 in there so I'll leave you off

As that SEAI report shows from the drastic reduction in energy from renewables (a drop of 15.8% for wind and 19.6% for hydro), we were lucky they were still operational. Had last year been 2025 when the largest of them, Moneypoint, is set to be shut by green policy we would have been in serious trouble. It just further shows how unreliable renewables are.

But rather than you attempting to deflect perhaps you would answer the question I have asked you a number of times. You were doubting The Farmers Journal report I posted on the drastic drop in energy from renewables, are you now doubting the SEAI report as well ?

Not from your posts there isn`t. They show very much a 1+1 =2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

It doesn’t matter where you burn it still emits pm2.5

Tge reason Ireland doesn’t have mean figures is cause nobody was recording them not that pollution didn’t happen

Its easy to 'win' an argument by completely misrepresenting what the other person is saying.

Have you looked up the word Relevant yet? It was there for a reason and it completely nullifies the nonsense you're talking

Just to repeat the point. The relevant PM2.5 emissions are those that cause harm. The harm is caused when there is poor air quality which in Ireland, is mostly caused by solid fuel emissions

Talking about overall national average PM2.5 emissions is not relevant to the argument when it's only where those emissions exceed safe levels that they are a significant problem.

All the studies show higher harm from exposure to higher levels of PM2.5 both acute and long term exposure

We'd better hurry up and build more wind and solar so.

The capacity factor of modern offshore wind turbines are about 50% with one wind farm off the coast of Scotland achieving almost 60% capacity

the stats below are for the UK. Irish potential is comparable to this

Assuming we invest in the latest generation of offshore wind turbines, we should be looking at capacity factors of 50-65% once we get our offshore wind industry going.

Capacity factor is the amount of actual generation compared to the theoretical maximum generating capacity.

Coal and Gas power stations are at about 50% capacity factor in general (this is because off peak demand for energy is about half of peak demand, so the more expensive the power station is to fuel, the more often they're turned off, or running at reduced capacity in favour of cheaper sources of energy

We should be accelerating our plans to roll out offshore wind, and also our solar power capacity to provide diversity

Storage and interconnectors are gong to be be important parts of the grid going forward, but we have seen what happens when we rely on small numbers of large utility scale plants. If a few of them go down, it leaves us vulnerable. A resilient grid will have redundancies and backups and interconnectors

Our energy security, from the SEAI report is woeful using fossil fuels as our primary energy source. If we have any hope of energy security, we need to build the infrastructure we need to provide it. (not independence, interconnected energy security)

Except the only "misrepresenting" anything was your own comments.

So Akrasia give over. You've lost that argument already

The relevant PM2.5 emissions are those that cause harm. The harm is caused when there is poor air quality which in Ireland, is mostly caused by solid fuel emissions.

So your new argument is that the most relevant thing is the most relevant thing because you say it is? That's absolutely great logic there lol.

But yeah incorrect again.

We know that EU air quality guidelines PM2.5 exceedences are considered to be harmful.

We know from the EEA that Ireland has good air quality in relation to PM 2.5.

We also know from research undertaken by the EPA that PM2.5 come from a variety of sources including solid fuel burning and vehicular emissions. These are all PM2.5 emissions and all are "relevant" when it comes to measuring air quality.

Some other things you obviously are not aware of:

As detailed the EU guidance values for PM2.5 relate to air quality and public health - otherwise what would be the point of having them?

The lowest annual mean concentration of PM2.5 measured in Europe is 2.5 µg/m3, which is considered by the EEA as the natural concentration that would occur if all anthropogenic contributions were removed.

Serious question have already been raised as to whether the WHO guidelines for PM2.5 concentrations set at 5 µg/m3 are even technically feasible across the EU, given the influence of geographical features and other natural processes on PM2.5 levels overall.

Especially when the WHO have said that for  PM2.5  –  they believe ‘there  is  no  safe  level"

Kinda makes a mockery of your idea That "the relevant PM2.5 emissions are those that cause harm"

But look I'm not going to bother with you trying to start yet another argument on something you're clearly wrong about. So I'll leave you to arguing with yourself.

Post edited by Mecanudo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Yes, I'm clearly wrong, all those times where I showed the EPA saying that solid fuels are the main cause of harmful PM2.5 emissions, including the report that the EPA produced that specifically concluded that solid fuels were the biggest source of PM2.5 where air quality exceeds WHO guidelines have been completely refuted by you, who didn't even know enough about PM2.5 to know what they were called.....

But off you go into the sunset to bask in the glory of your victory.

Yes, I'm clearly wrong

You are.

But off you go into the sunset to bask in the glory of your victory

Lol I will thanks.

But don't forget, amongst other things you were busted for trying to link to a single EPA study whilst completly ignoring another EPA study, which when both looked at together, clearly show that PM2.5 emissions come from a variety of sources including fossil fuels and vehicular emissions in those areas studied. Neither of which however can be taken as being representative of the country as a whole. Oh yeah and a glossy EPA report, from which you quoted selectively and of which the selected quotes apparently contradict each other regarding sources of PM2.5 etc

And when called out on all that and the fact that Ireland has good air quality relative to PM2.5 and your argument lost, then went off on a pedantic rant about spelling .

Grand so. No worries.

Yeah as suspected it was the green party trying to get brownie (greenie?) points on yet another "ban" as in "we've banned more shite than another green party ever!"

Problem is every time they try this - they end up in shite up to their eyeballs. 💩 👀 💩

Quite amusing to be fair!

That`s almost as long as the diatribe you posted on The Farmers Journal being incorrect on the drop in renewable output last year. Something which has been confirmed as correct by the SEAI.

Is there anyone in the Green Party or there supporters that are capable of looking at the present rather than gazing into the future and voicing suppositions as if they were facts.

Presently we have them tying themselves in knots over banning turf and briquettes in the midst of an energy crisis and their only reply as to replacing those sources is a Marie Antoinette like`"Let them eat cake"

Renewables have clearly shown last year that they are not a reliable dependent source of energy supply. There is no point in talking about more wind turbines solving that. Last year, a year when our electricity requirement actually rose, there were days when wind provided 6%, and less, of our needs. If you increased the number of turbines by X 16 that would still not have provided the required energy needs. Gazing off at inter-connectors and storage is not going to change that presently, or in the near future either.

You say we need a secure source of energy supply. I could not agree more. Last year in particular shows that to just keep the lights on we needed fossil fuels to do that, predominately gas. That is the secure source of energy supply we need for the here and now. Not only has our own energy regulator pointed that out our present source of supply is not secure, it is not even in E.U. compliance. The Green Party answer ? Attempting to ban gas and sitting on hands on Barryroe. Is this bunch of complete ideological lunatics actually trying to recreate the French Revolution. If you set out to turn people against renewable energy you would be hard pushed to outdo the Irish Green party and their supporters.

sitting on hands on Barryroe

I swear you must have shares or something lol

None, but you would not need to have shares to see the insanity.

Have you many yourself in renewable energy companies that are now making those extreme profits the E.U. has been encouraging countries to hit with windfall taxes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Great to see the greens getting crushed in the North today.

Down here is next!

• Advertisement

Advertisement