Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou MacDonald suing RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

ROFL.

Haul out all the emotive cases you want blanch.

Just shows you have a selective approach to rights and who may avail of them. Reminds of a certain ideology in the north of the island and the similarity of your ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

My my. Still creating scenarios a la 'if my auntie had balls'.

Beyond obsession now.

People have the right to sue.

We can pass opinion on a case either positively or negatively, yet still support the persons rights.

Pretending not to understand this so you can throw horse apples of your own making is just desperate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh is not relevant to this discussion, please stay on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We have a cohort of people on here who maintain that everyone is innocent until proven guilty so they believe O.J., Al Capone and even Denis O'Brien are innocent, and that nobody can pass comment on this civil case at this point in time. The problem is they only apply this logic to one side of the debate.

Ask yourself here blanch, if you publicly claim that somebody is a criminal and guilty of a crime and should be treated as such, when there has been no conviction, what will happen to you? Do you believe people (all of them) have a right to protections in law from that or not? Do you want the right to find guilty on foot of an allegation as you selectively do?

You can be of the opinion somebody is guilty all you want, who cares what you or I believe at the end of the day. But you CANNOT deprive somebody of clearly set down rights on foot of a selective opinion.

• Advertisement

Article 48 of eu fundamental right

Article 48 - Presumption of innocence and right of defence

1. Everyone who has been charged shall be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law.

2. Respect for the rights of the defence of anyone who has been charged shall be guaranteed

Look on at america and way peoples rights are taken away on political whims,

yous would have to wonder why they give all day screaming anti-eu at everyone else,when its obvious their core principles and beliefs are themselves inherently anti european

blanch and a cohort quite clearly want the right to convict on foot of allegations. Dangerous people.

Its not really allowed be discussed in mainstream media/political circles....but fg background is 1930s facism,while they will wail about russell,they rarely find it necessary to point out,much less discuss, oduffy was recruiting to help nazis for eastern front in 1942

Its inherent within their belief system,while they (rightly imo) critise russia for its attacks on ukraine,they gloss over the azov battalion and accusations surronding it over last 10 years,and what blind support for them implies......they delibertaly apply dangerously misleading propaganda to discussions around nato membership,these are a dangerous people,whos interests arent for the national good and long term continuelly revel themselves to have a distain of european civil liberties

It is sad that you continue with this desperate strawman defence of all things Sinn Fein. You have convicted Leo on another thread, without being able to present any evidence at all as to what exact crime was committed. Claiming the high moral ground is demonstrable hypocrisy.

I don't claim that high moral ground, in fact I don't even see it as high moral ground. Hiding behind lofty moral principles to declare that the likes of Al Capone and O.J. Simpson are not killers is just silliness. Similarly, I don't see any problem with an opinion that declares that the evidence was such that the killers of Garda McCabe were lucky to get away with manslaughter. And I don't have a problem with anyone saying they believe Leo was guilty of a crime (which you and others have certainly implied if not stated outright), if you could present any single piece of evidence that there was a crime committed, let alone that Leo was guilty of it.

So I see nothing wrong with supporting the principle that everyone has a right to their good name or to be innocent until proven guilty, while at the same time, being able to offer an opinion on what the evidence available to you suggests.

So turning back to the present subject of this thread (any maybe you could confine your response to the subject of this thread), we know the following:

(1) Mary-Lou has not gone with a complaint to the Press Council

(2) Mary-Lou has gone straight to a defamation claim before the courts

(3) Mary-Lou has not said what the subject of the defamation claim is

(4) Nobody on this thread has been able to point to anything on RTE that might be the littlest bit defamatory

(5) SLAPPs cases are designed to hide information from the public

(6) SLAPPs cases avoid the Press Council process

(7) Ireland has been singled out by the EU, the NUJ, the media organisations, and NGOs in transparency and democracy as having a problem with SLAPPs cases, libel tourism and silencing the media.

(8) A person can reasonably conclude from the above that this case by Mary-Lou has all the appearance of a SLAPPs case.

(9) Nothing in any of the above infringes on any rights that an individual has and nothing in them is attempting to deprive anyone of their rights.

These nine points are all factual points, happy for you to correct them. No. 8 might be debatable, but stating as a fact that someone could reasonably hold a certain opinion, while not necessarily agreeing with that opinion, and accepting that there are other possible reasonable opinions, is tenable.

Only read as far as the first lie.

I said on the other thread that in my opinion Leo had broken the law based on the details and his confession. That's 'my opinion' and you have yours. I have no idea what the details are here to make a decision, but that hasn't stopped you, has it?

• Advertisement

Well actually, that's the point. The information we have on this case leads me to a reasonable concluded defendable opinion that this is nothing more and nothing less than a SLAPPs-type attempt to silence the media. The fact that you don't know the details only supports and strengthens my opinion.

As you missed it from my last post, may I recall that we know the following:

(1) Mary-Lou has not gone with a complaint to the Press Council

(2) Mary-Lou has gone straight to a defamation claim before the courts

(3) Mary-Lou has not said what the subject of the defamation claim is

(4) Nobody on this thread has been able to point to anything on RTE that might be the littlest bit defamatory

(5) SLAPPs cases are designed to hide information from the public

(6) SLAPPs cases avoid the Press Council process

(7) Ireland has been singled out by the EU, the NUJ, the media organisations, and NGOs in transparency and democracy as having a problem with SLAPPs cases, libel tourism and silencing the media.

(8) A person can reasonably conclude from the above that this case by Mary-Lou has all the appearance of a SLAPPs case.

(9) Nothing in any of the above infringes on any rights that an individual has and nothing in them is attempting to deprive anyone of their rights.

These nine points are all factual points, happy for you to correct them. No. 8 might be debatable, but stating as a fact that someone could reasonably hold a certain opinion, while not necessarily agreeing with that opinion, and accepting that there are other possible reasonable opinions, is tenable.

You have no information. You have 'assumed' there is.

If we have no information, and the intent of a SLAPPs case is for us to have no information, until we have some information that is the default conclusion.

Sorry, but not a single one of the nine points has been refuted, despite the pile-on of whataboutery and deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭malk518

Copy and paste multiple times. What do you expect people to do with that? Spamming the thread.

I didn't bother reading them. Sorry, not in the business of working on supposition.

We have laws that say everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Many a FF/FG has been excused for cronyism based on that by people like you.

Do you see how you are making MLMD, the complainant, the suspect? Do you see how distorted your hate has made your view?

Everyone can pass comment on a case. We need to know the details.

You are condemning MLMD, the alledged victim, with no facts because you hate her and SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Start with 1)

Why didn't MLMD start with a complaint to the press council? Why would she skip that process?

The discussion is about MLMD suing RTE for what is clearly a SLAPPS situation.

None of her supporters on here have been able to refute it.

All available evidence point to it being SLAPPS.

And this is given that all the evidence is in the public domain and hasn't been taken down which it normally would if there was a genuine case to answer.

Now of course, the interpretation of that evidence is being kept secret by MLMD.

But for you to support MLMD here, you need to find a reasonable reason why the press council was skipped.

Or you can just exist on this thread (and all other threads) attempting to deflect attention elsewhere.

This case is very odd, everyone must at least agree to that level.

First sentence read and I'm out again. Try presenting facts lads not suppositions.

• Advertisement

The only odd thing here is the level of criticism based on what hearsay and guesswork people are creating.

None of her supporters on here have been able to refute it.

Don't need to refute guesses.

All we have here is people attacking her, the alledged victim, before the case details are known and people calling that out.

I don't support her case. I don't have enough information. It seems yourself and other are happy to create this information so it suits your agenda.

And more and more slipping and dodging.

The fact is MLMD is attempting to hide the facts of the case despite all evidence being public.

Fact is she avoided going the press council.

The only reason to do that is to avoid public scrutiny as part of a SLAPPS.

All available evidence points to a SLAPPS.

All MLMD's cheerleaders can't present an iota of evidence to refute this and refuse to even speculate why she would be engaging in a SLAPPS.

But let's start with 1) again and watch the slipping dodging and contorting to avoid engaging on the evidence that is available:

Why didn't MLMD start with a complaint to the press council? Why would she skip that process?

If you don't want to engage on the evidence, then you don't need to reply to say that, you can squirm away.

(how many times can a MLMD supporter avoid engaging on the topic?)

Why didn't she go to the press council first then?

I'll engage when I know what it's about. Until then............

Im gonna go throw this out there,and suggest mlmd deosnt post on boards,under psudoname of brucie bonus,or franciebrady......

and perhaps asking them to represent someone elses person reasons,isnt the intellectual power play or valid line of qs,you think it is

This is a discussion thread, we can discuss why she didn't go to the press council. You are solely here to try and shut down discussion, as usual.

And as expected, the squirming, anything but engagement on the topic.

I'll engage on facts not the feeling in yer waters...ok?

This discussion is entirely worth having tbf....have you any info to add to this discussion??

Then actually discuss, why didn't MLMD go to the press council? Why would she skip that step?

• Advertisement

Im at a loss as to what info you wish to obtain from me....im not mlmd

But as you wish to engage in some speculation and im bit merry,maybe it not in press council remit?

Established in 2008, we consider complaints about newspapers (print and online), magazines and online-only news publications 

And the broadcasting autority would perhaps be more appropriate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement