Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Over Ourselves when it Comes to Housing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Sounds like it worked out for you. If you didn't have a family home to move back into though you wouldn't have been able to save anything like that. And a 1 bed apartment is fine for your current circumstances, but if you were thinking of kids in the medium term a 1 bed apartment could be a very risky move. If prices fall dramatically like they did for the previous crash it could put you into negative equity and delay you being able to find a family home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

What a world we live in that moving back in with your parents for 3 years in your late twenties for the privilege of a 3 hours round commute a day to Drogheda is considered a positive example for others to follow.

What people need to get over is their snobbery about certain areas.

There are affordable houses for sale in Dublin, people just need to drop the snobbery. For example: this perfectly good 3 bed with converted attic and even a separate one bed unit with its own kitchen, bathroom etc within ten minutes walk of the Luas line and 2.5km of Saggart - for asking price €265K!

But because its within walking distance of Jobstown, its left sitting on the market. I live not too far away myself, and I have friends on that road that I visit often, and its perfectly fine place to live.

There are more houses like this dotted around Dublin. I have listened to colleages complaining that they can't find affordable houses in Dublin under half a million and sent them the links. They shut up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I don't disagree with your sentiment but is Suncroft and all around that not mostly council? Like it's very close to MacUlliam which I would consider one of the worst areas in Dublin.

No, not really. Behind it is Russell Court which was built as part of the affordable housing scheme and is a mix of private and social. Suncroft itself is a private estate, and its adjacent to Mountainview, also private (though a lot of renters). Its actually a good bit of a walk from MacUilliam depending on your fitness levels.

No matter where someone buys today, they're going to be in a mix of private and social. That is what people need to get over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I idid the opposite and sat it out when all my friends were buying. Then the crash happened and i felt sorry for them but thought i was a genius for a few years. Roll on to today and i so wish I had bought that 1 bed apartment in 2006 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

We bought in 2018 and thought we were buying at the absolute peak. But we weren't in a position to buy before and circumstances kind of dictated that we did need a place then so just bit the bullet and bought. I think a year later prices had come down by 1.6% or something after years of growth, so it was kind of confirmed that we had bought at the peak.

Then Covid happened and prices went nuts. A house two doors down from us sold for €130k extra that to me looked very similar in value to ours.

You just never really know when you buy what will happen. The one piece of advice I would give to someone is if you're thinking about a place make sure to consider if you'd be happy to still be there in 5 years. Because you might not have a choice and have to be. So if you're looking at a 1 bed apartment and thinking you could be married with kids in 5 years make sure to consider that the value could plummet in that apartment and you might find yourself tens of thousands worse off when looking for a new place than if you had kept renting. The reverse can also be true, but is it a risk you'd be happy to take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

a 1% rise in ECB interest rate will reduce peoples ability to borrow by 100K.

That will cool off the housing market, and its needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

"getting on the ladder" is not a flawed idea, nor do I think you understand the point of it.

The number one reason behind it is that it is better to be spending money on repaying a small mortgage (and thus building up equity) rather than just burning it on rent. Secondly, rather than trying to go from zero the a large house, that you buy something suitable for the interim. i.e. while single and/or no kids, that you buy a 1/2/3 bed and only buy the 3/4 bed 10 years later when you have the kids etc. You also benefit from getting the experience of owning a place and discovering what is and is not important to you before you take the plunge on buying the "forever home". Yes, should prices increase over that time, owning the smaller house will give you some padding in that regard, but that is more of a bonus feature, not the primary reason.

The huge problem facing people today trying to buy is that they are stuck in the vicious circle of it being difficult to save for a deposit while renting. Thus, it takes them longer to build up the deposit before they are ready to buy. Therefore, they end up renting for longer wasting even more money and so on. And because this drags on, instead of buying a small place in their 20's/early 30's, they are now still trying to buy in their late-30's/40's and have to go straight for the "family home" which costs even more and requires an even bigger deposit and the circle continues (except once they hit their 40's, the term of the mortgage they can get is constantly reducing).

• Advertisement

The percentage of social and private mix is crucial though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

People already on the ladder will tell you how important getting on the ladder is.

People who were never on the ladder are the ones hurting the most now. And the older you get the more you feel it when you are not already on the ladder.

Its no worse there, then anywhere else.

It would be like telling someone not to buy in Aylesbury or Kiltipper because of its proximity to Cushlawn.

Anyway the point I'm making is, people are to quick to turn their noses up at perfectly nice houses because of their "proximity" to somewhere else, even when that proximity is not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭timmyntc

People who are already on the ladder and need the demand for 1 beds to be sustained (so they can sell on) will tell you how important taking small steps up the ladder is.

The concept of getting a foot on the ladder is a flawed one, as your entire future housing plans (family sized home) are contingent on your starter property still holding its value. If the valuation drops you may not be able to sell it at all, and are effectively tethered to a property that does not fit your needs.

People talk about how its great to be paying toward equity for 10 years instead of rent - very few people buy a 1 bed starter home and then plan to move on after 10 years, anyone doing that will find it almost too late to have a family by that stage. The 1 bed is too small for a family, absolutely. And waiting 10 years would put you approaching 40 or beyond it, as the median FTB age nowadays is ~35.

Unless you have costed it and are certain that the equity you amass in the next 5 years is more than any potential drop in equity if prices crash, then its not worth doing. The OP buying a 1 bed for 150k is not a good investment - exactly the kind of foot on the ladder you should not do, as when prices dip those expensive 1 beds will be the first to drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Getting on the ladder isn't flawed if you can afford it but for some that bought at the height of the market in 2008 the ladder became more of a slippery plank when negative equity dragged them down and made it impossible to take steps up said ladder. The big difference to 2008 and now is the lack of cheap rental property. We bought in late 2011 which was near enough the bottom of the market and were able to afford a 5 bed West of Cork City. We bought with the intention that it was a permanent move to do us long term. The market conditions made it possible at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭Deeec

I'm curious to why you think this?

A roof over your head that noone can take away from you means security to most people. For most people the value of the home is immaterial - it's a place of their own that's important. Years and years of paying rent is pointless. I feel so sorry for elderly people who are still renting - it must be a huge worry for them.

I would have serious concerns for someone who has no wish to own a property - it's wreckless And shows no ambition. If everyone took your view society would have huge issues.

Post edited by Deeec on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

When you are renting, the chickens come home to roost when you retire. Unless you have accumilated a large pension or other provision for your living expenses, you are well and truly goosed. And if you had a generous pension and had money, well you probably would have bought a home at that point anyway.

The rental crisis is going to cause an absolute catasphophe in about 30 years when todays renters who cannot buy retire and have nothing left to pay rent.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Well, I think fair play to you. It requires a lot of sacrifice over a number of years to buy a home in most cases. The ones who comment negatively are unable/unwilling to make the sacrifice, hiding behind "it shouldn't be like that". It is hard to have the discipline to save for several years, but the rewards are worth it in the end in my opinion. Some people would rather sit on the toilet waiting for the council to come around and wipe their hole though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Jesus, the Irish attitude in all it's glory.

So the Romanians (96.1% home ownership) , the Hungarians (91.3), Laotains (95.9), Lithuanians(90.3), Russians (89) and Chinese (89.7) are all a great bunch of lads.

Meanwhile wreckless lads like Germany (51.1), Switzerland (41.6), Austria (55.3), South Korea (58.6) and Japan (61.2) are just wreckless feckers.

Well then tell us why it's good to pay rent for the rest of your life. Tell us why it's good to be still paying rent when your 80 when all of your house owner friends have their mortgages paid off years?

• Advertisement

Ah c'mon, course it is. West Tallaght must have the largest concentration of social housing in the country. Saying you'd get the same anywhere just isn't the case.

You buy a house in Blackrock or Terenure, highly unlikely to have large scale social housing near you.

You won't get a house in Blackrock or Terenue for under €300k. If your budget is limited you lower your expectations.

There are 300+ homes under €300k for sale in Dublin on daft.ie today. They are not all in bad areas.

There are perfectly nice homes for sale in estates in Tallaght, Finglas or Blanch like the one I linked to, but people dismiss them without even looking at them because of their proximity to other areas - even when these areas are quiet enough.

Then they complain about there not being any affordable houses and buy a 1 bedroom in Drogheda and spend hundreds a month on commuting.

Madness, in my opinion.

To keep a roof over your head. If you can’t spot the blindingly obvious there’s no hope for you.

Why is it good to put petrol into your car, sure your just burning money. Same with home heating.

My plan is to pay into an AVC until I’m 60, only 20 years to go, use my tax free lump sum to buy somewhere small, somewhere warmer, and live out my days there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

To be fair, until you have the final payment made on your house, you don't really 'own' it. Another financial crisis on the scale of 2008 and people find that out pretty quickly. I get where they were coming from, but when people look down on renters because they think they're a 'homeowner' by getting themselves a few 100k in debt makes me chuckle. There's a time for renting and a time for getting a mortgage depending on peoples situation and plans, I don't think it's as easy for OP to say 'owning' is outright better.

Jaysis 🤦‍♀️.... I hope that works out for you but your plan could backfire. You would want to live like a pauper and stick all the money you can into your avc to ensure your plan works.

Have you ever sat down and calculated all the rent you are going to pay from potentially age 18 to 60? You could probably have bought 2 houses with the amount you will spend. Your crazy not to buy as soon as you can. Paying rent is paying someone else's mortgage for them - that's all your doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm a property mogul. I started off buying caravans and renting them out to travellers to live at the side of the road back in the 90's. Started small and had to pay nothing except get the rents. There was a few rogue renters back then but nothing a broken leg won't fix. I had to hire my uncle as backup when things went rough but together we broke many legs and arms and they weren't long paying up the rent that was due.

I then bridged out of houses and apartments and worked my way up and now I'm a vulture fund and the money is rolling in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I used to ignore the "rent is dead money" comments from the bubble years. Especially when I lived in a 2-bed apartment in a nice area at a knockdown rent from 2010 to 2016. But then the reality of the Irish rental market hit me. I hadn't seen the landlord at all in the time I was there but he knocked into me to tell me that the building had been repossessed and I was given notice. I had to move further out to somewhere I didn't really want to be and even then I ended up in a house share at 32 years old for not much less than my previous rent. That experience taught me to buy no matter what. Not as a snobbery thing but as a security thing. The possibility of being turfed out for no fault of my own was something I couldn't go through again.

Some people would say that Irish tenants have too much protection. I say they have the wrong type of protection. Not being able to turf someone out promptly for non-payment of rent or anti-social behaviour is the wrong protection. Instead we should be able to have long term leases, 20 years or more, like you'd have on the continent. I'd also like to see unfurnished lettings that you can make your own for the most part. In the absence of this, I completely respect the opinion of anyone who wants to own their own place. We don't have the mechanisms in place for long-term renting.

I know if you take out a mortgage you don't own it until the final payment. But you have more security than if you rent . If you buy wisely your property is appreciating while your debt is decreasing so hang onto it long enough and you should gain. Paying rent is not gaining any wealth for yourself. I don't look down on renters at all - Of course rental properties are necessary but renters should aspire and work towards owning their own property if they can at all - it makes no sense for someone who can get and afford a mortgage to continue to rent. I feel sorry for people who fail to see the benefits of owning their own property and think that owners are fools.

What a pathetic way to think. Have you ever eaten out? How many restaurants could you have bought with all that money? Same with pubs. Why would I want to live like a pauper? I could buy an apartment on the coast in Spain for about €40k at the moment if I wanted.

You obviously don't get the point - I have no interest in trying to explain to you how to be financially savvy. Best of luck to for the future👍👍🙏🙏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

International finance is screwing the world! Billions are being pumped into companies that never make a profit yet have skyhigh stock prices.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭babyducklings1

Good post. It boils down to having some security. There are stories here and of landlords selling up and people having to leave and having no where to go. This is pure trauma and stress especially if people are tied to the location with jobs, schools etc. it’s just not a good way to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭toyotatommy

Tighten down on regulations, watch the gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's hard to save a large deposit while renting, but the problem now is house prices are going up every year , a 200k house will probably cost 250k plus in 3 years . There are not enough houses for sale to meet demand. I don't think h saying everyone should have the right to buy property would even solve the problem , someone who works in dublin probably won't want to buy a house in kerry or louth even if it's alot cheaper than a house in coolock. I would not like to try and give someone advice now as to how to buy a house in 10 years time, as who can predict what energy costs. inflation, rental costs wage rates, house prices will be in 2032. The problem is most young people work in city's or large towns so they all.want to buy in certain areas maybe within a hours commute of where they work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I own a car, TV, 3 guitars, a treadmill, exercise bike, stereo system, 3 watches… and other stuff, mine ! to have a place you own, that security, the only outgoings to service the mortgage and running of said house…. That no landlord can decide you, he or both are going…that’s why…people are entitled to own a home as they are anything else.

Citizens need to become priority now to get housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

For sure the end goal for most is to own a property, but just because someone can get a mortgage doesn't mean they should right away. I don't think people who get a mortage are fools at all, but I do think most people fail to see the benefits of renting in the short term. It you're younger with not a lot of responsibilities (kids etc.) it gives you flexibility to quickly relocate for better paid work, if you're still figuring out what it is you want for a career, renting allows you to take more risks with changing your life (I know plenty people who are miserable in jobs and say they can't take a risk to change career because 'I have to pay the mortgage'), in tough times or if you want to use savings to start a business etc. you can quickly downsize rental property. There are benefits for both depending on circumstances and goals. It just seemed that OP was turning their nose up at their friends for still renting. At the end of the day it doesn't even matter really, everyone just do them 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Fair play but do people really not factor their time and place a value on it?

Three hours per day, 15 hours per week driving to work is an absolute age over a lifetime. How much is an hour of your time worth monetary wise? Something I would consider when calculating time spent commuting. Sounds like you're devaluing yourself tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As far as jobs go just now, it's a sellers market. The model is changing and home working will be supported from sides from now on. The FDI investors arent really too fussed about the housing market, because they are satisfied to have their staff in Country and online.

The happiest people I know are the ones that chucked it in and made the best of their money by buying in small towns and rural areas. For me, nothing is second to quality of life. Nothing is secondary to being time rich and absolutely nothing is worth developing ulcers and heart disease for.

My wife and I are mid 40s, have spent recent years making our work life more footloose and by 2024 we'll have sold up the two properties we have in Dublin, both about 50% mortgage paid and we'll take the equity and buy a place near the south coast that we can live happily for the rest of our days in. It'll be near some local services, have a good standard of broadband and a big back field for the dogs to play and visitors to pitch tents in the summer, a garage to park the electric car and my old classic and somewhere to hang the bikes.

We'll be set for life for 350k and money to spare and be able to keep earning as long as our minds desire and bodies are able.

Don't give the best years of your life to a landlord or a bank. It makes to difference which. Get out and live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,481 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think it’s a smart move OP, much better than renting. Drogheda for its flaws it’s a great location. There’s a chronic housing shortage so it’s unlikely to dip in value any time soon. Meanwhile you’re paying for a tangible asset instead of spiralling rents. No brainer to me.

• Advertisement

Perhaps to you but when you see what the alternative is it makes complete sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I like Drogheda and Louth in general , its as good as Meath in every way though id pick Kildare or Wicklow ahead of it if I could afford it

150 K seems high for a one bed there however but then again its worth paying more for an extra good location and quality of build

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

You're 32, living in a 60 sq/m 1 bed flat in a city you're not from, 70 miles away from your family. How are you going to raise a family in your 1 bed flat, if you want one? Will the kids sleep in the bedroom and you and the misses/hubbie sleep on the couch? You paid approximately 5 times more for a 1 bed flat in Drogheda than people paid for a 3 bed in Dublin just 25 years ago, that's a disgrace, not on you, on the gombeens who engineered this. If another recession comes along, and it will your €150,000 flat will only be worth about €70,000 which means you will be in negative equity to the tune of €80,000.

Also, not everyone has the luxury of living with their parents in their late 20's/early 30's. Fair play to you for saving that much but if I was you I would have continued saving and then waited for the next recession then buy the property out straight.

The answer to the property shortage is not to accept Hong Kong style living standards, its to stop the excess, artificial demand in the property market caused by the government policy of unsustainable immigration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

OP- I assume you know that Cromwell sacked Drogheda in the 17th C.

When’s the “next recession” coming so we can hold out for the chape property?

also, isn’t drogheda about 50 km from Dublin, not 70 miles? Anyhow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

This, it’s a numbers game…

29271 people were granted asylum here between 2017-2020.

About 7318 people a year..or around 22 people a day…

About 5000 new build social houses are made available every year…

im at a loss to see how those numbers can ensure Irish taxpayers are getting fair bang for the buck.

• Advertisement

They aren’t. Your figures illustrate nicely why housing is such a crisis, particularly at entry and social housing level- by their very nature asylum seekers have no self resources so depend on the taxpayer to provide all. Competing with what is already there. Not to mention all those that arrive legally who also need housing. We aren’t allowed talk about it though by the moral thought police as that would be racist as we are all one happy clappy world family of love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm thinking about heading to Afghanistan or Iran or some other mad place to become an asylum seeker. I heard you get paid for doing nothing and a free gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Best of luck, they really need go-getters like you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...so we should just accept our governments implementing polices that support such outcomes, i.e. fcuk our youth over??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The problem with a recession is 1000s of people will lose their jobs, it will be harder to get a mortgage, the only solution i see is if the planning authoritys allow 20 storey buildings in certain area,s to provide housing for workers ,eg 1 and 2 bed units ,at a certain minimum size. i don,t think the government has the will or the expertise to increase the no of buildings we need to meet demand ,eg 30k plus per year .No one is trying to screw our youth over, its a combination of circumstances , bad planning, supply chain problems, inflation ,the pandemic, no matter what happens the average 25 year old will still be competing with other people on high wages to buy a house.

• Advertisement
Advertisement