Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unifi AP no stock, any alternate suggestions please

• 02-05-2022 2:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

hi

i have been waiting to buy 2 APs - unifi wifi 6 pro

they are out of stock for a long time.

do you suggest any other AP of same quality n price?

its for a 3 floor house connecting to virgin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

For you really need the Pro models, I have the unifi 6 Lites and they work great. The pro models as far as I know are for really busy places with lots of users. If its for your house the U6 Lites will be grand. I also have a nanoHD and I get serious through put with it even thought it's WiFi 5.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

thanks @ECO_Mental

as of now the lite is also out of stock. but will keep an eye on their website.

i think lite is available on amazon

On their website you can set alerts for when stuff comes back into stock. Need to setup a UI account and then it will email you when its in stock.

i have that alert setup.

lite is available on amazon. may go for it.

do we need UDM pro to control it or controller on pi is sufficient?

You can use a PI no problem but you actually don't need a controller to set up the APs you can set them using the Unifi mobile App, you wont have all the functions and features of the Unifi controller system but if you just need APs then just use the mobile app.

Otherwise consider using the Unifi Dream Router it has POE and its Wifi 6 and you might be able to drop one of your access points considering this has Wifi. Don't know if its fully released yet but you could get one or two APs set up using the mobile app while waiting for this.

Dream Router – Ubiquiti Inc. its €223 but it has all the functions of the UDM and even an SD slot for video recording if you want to go down that route.

• Advertisement

found a pro in dublin. may go for it

will keep an eye on the dream router

came across on ebay Ubiquity Unifi USG Pro 4 Gateway

is this required?

i dont think its necessary to sit between my virgin modem and access points

is that correct?

Yeah you don't need the gateway you can just plug the AP into one of the ethernet plugs on your virgin modem and set it up using the Unifi mobile app. You could then turn off the radio on the Virgin modem and use the Unifi AP as your wireless AP.

You will have access to a lot of the Wifi functions but not all the advanced features that the Unifi console will give you.

i am ok for now with basic functions.

would having a separate 2.4ghz ssid for iot devices is included in basic or do i need a controller for that?

i run home assistant with lot of sensors and gateway. hence may need a separate vlan

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dhenalau

I have been using an Asus RT-AX86U in lieu of the Virgin modem, no issue whatsoever and very good connections speed.

My older Asus RT-AC86U is connected in Mesh Mode to increase the house coverage.

Asus provides regular firmware updates.

The aggressive design is not for everyone, but I like it :)

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/asus-rt-ax86u

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

have replaced an aging consumer grade router by Huawei with Mikrotik, and have not looked back ever since, ordered it from senetic.ie.

Yes it is bit techie, but powerful

• Advertisement

I don't remember if you can set up multiple SSIDs in the basic app setup I think you can just rename the 5ghz and 2.4ghz. Setting up separate SSIDs for IOT is more advanced and in theory and best practice you should put them on their own LAN. All this fancy stuff is in the Unifi controller. I think just get the AP and mess around with it and then properly set it up when you get a Dream Router or likes

unifi wifi 6 pro in stock now.

but i also came across Aruba Instant On AP22

which one should i go for? any suggestions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Curious about the Unifi Dream Router. I use a Virgin Router with wifi turned off, but it doing DHCP, and my Ubiquiti AC-PRO plugged into it. What would the benefits of the Unifi Dream router be over the Virgin Router.

Re the Dream having POE, what would that typically be used for? If I was to add a few unifi lites wouldn't I need a POE switch?

The Dream Router has 2 POE ports to power the APs and you don't need a POE switch to power the APs if you get a Dream Router. Even then some of these APs come with a POE injector (or you can buy one cheap enough) so again you shouldn't need a POE switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Would the VF router come out completely then? Can it take signal from coax cable and do the broadbamd authentication, dhcp etc?

no, VF will be set to modem mode only and then connect that to dream router

Advertisement