Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding venue cancelled

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just for some further information regarding hotels. I tried to book my usual meeting room in a hotel in the Limerick area. They came back and advised that they have taken a government contract to house refugees for 6 months, and they cannot provide any services outside that, according to the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Interesting to know that hotels can cancel bookings at any time up to the event if they get a better offer and theres no comeback for the original booker once the hotel refund the deposit, have I got that right Dav10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Is any of your family of a different race :)

If they are then pull that card on them and see what they come up with for compensation.

Once the hotel found out that my brother was from India and did not look the same as the rest of us they cancelled .......

Myself and my siblings are half Indian and if we ever have any disputes we have found a mention of the colour of our skin moves the pieces on the chess board :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm not sure what you're implying here, but it's not the place to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 32 yvonne.joy.3

I would be looking at it that the hotel by cancelling this contract have caused the extra cost and stress involved in rearranging the wedding that had been booked for over 2 years.

It just does not sit right with me that the hotel can cancel at such short notice in order to take a better deal and in essence make a bigger profit. If I had chosen to cancel my wedding then as per the contract I would be liable for 50% of the total contact price.

Now there is terms and conditions in the contract that allows the hotel to cancel ie being unfit for purpose, fire, humanitarian crisis. (This is what the hotel are using as the reason for cancelling)

However I do not see this as a humanitarian crisis in Ireland. The hotel had the option to take this government contract and chose to do so and chose to break my contract with them.

In contract law a breach of contract is entitled to damages caused directly by the breach. Those damages in this instance are the extra costs involved in rearranging the wedding and everything that goes with it.

This does not fall under consumer law as there was a written contract and that therefore makes it contract law.

Now I have not even thought any further of everyone's advice to seek a solicitors advice as in all honesty I don't have the time or head space with getting everything else organised but will be looking into it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement