Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Supreme Court to overturn Roe vs Wade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

They wouldn't budge on their precious gun rights even after Sandy Hook. They don't give a shït about children and are the first in line for an abortion themselves when it suits them. Absolute cünts.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I can never get a "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" bot to tackle my straight to the chase, if not intentionally reductive question: what stops me from giving out free hand grenades to Trick or Treaters, etc.

Because it forces an acknowledgement that that right to keep and bear arms is not "unlimited," which is in part, the holding of the SCOTUS from District of Columbia v Heller. (4 of the 5 conservative justices who decided it still sit there)

It's no secret, that the pro-life movement isn't really interested in the judicial or legislative process here, but simply the most expedient way to do whatever they want, when it suits them - Shall not be Infringed for me, Well regulated for thee.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Are there any? I’m about as strident a 2A supporter as there is on Boards, and I have never claimed that the right is unlimited.

Politicians with their mast on that, not that I'm aware of, just voters.

Today's convo on a Government Officials page; I have mutual friends from out of state with Blue (I'm Green) so I have no reason to believe it is a Bot, in fact.

Which sadly never touched on the theme of my question or the choices I might be free to take if the right was unlimited. But it does appear to endorse the argument that the right is unlimited..

Originally the right to bear arms referred to citizens defending themselves against a government that was against the States. Over time and going by different interpretations it has evolved into thinking everyone has the right to own weapons, including assault weapons. And yes that is our **** up but its been allowed to go on for so long that there is now no way to curb it.And yes most of my fellow countrymen are ignorant of their own constitution and rights.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That is something of a myth. 2A was added to ensure that the States could bring forth the militia for their own protection against insurrections, specifically at the time the Shays Rebellion and the Whiskey Rebellion. The States did not want the federal government disarming them and, indeed, they were hugely distrustful of a standing federal military, which led to subsequent problems in the British/American and Indian wars, but their protection against Federal interference was the underfunding of the Federal military, not the ability to create a militia.

However, it was also a given that the reason that the States could call upon an effective militia was that most everyone had a gun anyway. That was protected, if they felt sufficiently paranoid to think it necessary, by the State constitution. Remember, the Commerce Clause thing was still 150 years away, and incorporation over 200 years, the idea that gun laws affecting the individual person could be created by the Federal Government was not contemplated at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

And values women .

So much anti abortion sentiment appears to come from an an angle that seeks to punish and criminalise instead of helping and supporting .

The problem with leaving it up to the individual states is

1. Is it in the interests of the majority in that state or is it just laws being made for the majority a powerful minority?

2. Not acceptable to criminalise those that then have to travel to have a termination and those that help ...

It is very cruel and retrograde no matter how it is presented.

On another note while I find this thread and the comments excellent and interesting , it is surprising, to say the least , that their is no thread discussion of our own current local interest story about the proposed National Maternity Hospital and the SVUH setting up a holding company with a catholic agenda to lease the land to the state .. have I missed it ?

It's not the same at all.

People in Ireland own guns yes.

They are not allowed walk around in public places armed to the teeth at various outdoor events .

And am sure that many in the US don't carry arms in the street either but watching Election 2020 one would be forgiven for thinking that it was part of the uniform for many Republicans .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The Republican voter would ordinarily be cheering something like this as a campaign promise spectacularly delivered, but they aren't, because of the political backlash of actually getting rid of abortions.

Reading the above, I’m wondering is there an assumption that Republicans generally speaking care about abortion to even the same degree as they care about other issues besides abortion. I think the perception is certainly that they care about preventing abortion, at least it’s framed that way, but even from the Republican Charter you linked to earlier, Republicans don’t think in those terms -

DEFEND AMERICAN VALUES

• Continue nominating constitutionalist Supreme Court and lower court judges
    • Protect unborn life through every means available
    • Defend the freedoms of religious believers and organizations
    • Support the exercise of Second Amendment rights

We know from numerous surveys that one of the main reasons given for why women have abortions is because of socioeconomic circumstances, so it would seem reasonable to focus on addressing the underlying socioeconomic circumstances than focusing on funding abortion providers. While I understand the reasons why you suggested Obama was faced with some difficult choices, the fact that he chose to withdraw funding from Texas Womens Healthcare programme because they wouldn’t provide abortions is hardly extending an olive branch, it’s putting people on low incomes living in poverty in an even poorer position -

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-contraception-texas-idUSBRE82E1CR20120316

Again, Trump restored funding -

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/01/22/donald-trump-restores-womens-health-funding-texas-stripped-obama/amp/

Not only did Trump restore funding for women’s healthcare in Texas though, he promised to remove funding for abortions provided by Planned Parenthood, and he delivered on that promise -

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/promise/1357/defund-planned-parenthood/

It wasn’t the only thing of course which forced something of a rethink in Planned Parenthood’s business model. At the same time, Cecile Richards, director of PP, could feel the chilly breeze of a change in the political winds, which forced her to throw the middle-class white women gathered in solidarity with each other, under the bus, by telling them they needed to “do better”, rather than leaving it all up to “women of colour” -

Richards credited women of color with many of these successes.

"These victories were led and made possible by women of color," Richards said. 

She urged white women to join forces with women of color to change the nation.

"So, white women, listen up. We've got to do better. ... It is not up to women of color to save this country from itself. That's on all of us. That's on all of us," said Richards, who also heads the Planned Parenthood Action Fund.

"The good news is when we are in full on sisterhood, women are the most powerful, political force in America," she said.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/21/us/women-march-cecila-richards-trnd/index.html

A rabble-rousing speech that did more to divide the women present, than it did to extend an invitation to the women who weren’t. It was necessary though, because in spite of the fact that PP revenues for 2018/19 were $1.6 Bn ($600m of that coming from Government), they need to justify their continuing existence, somehow.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/uploads/filer_public/2e/da/2eda3f50-82aa-4ddb-acce-c2854c4ea80b/2018-2019_annual_report.pdf

Cecile did a rather quick exit stage left after that performance.

Which brings us back to what do Black Americans really want from their elected representatives, because they sure as hell didn’t get it with Obama, and they weren’t going to get it with Hillary, which left them voting for a President they didn’t want; it came down to a choice between which party and which candidates best represent the issues that Black Americans actually care about, and they were faced with the same choice again in 2020:

Abortion just doesn’t normally register among the issues that Americans actually care about. A small minority of people will keep pushing it, but the vast majority of Americans care more about other issues which they feel are of greater importance than abortion for the tiny minority of middle class white women who want to keep pushing it by claiming abortion is an issue which affects all women. In reality what women care more about is being supported in being able to provide for themselves and their families, rather than feeling like they have to have an abortion because they feel they can’t afford to have a child, with that being portrayed by some people as “choice”. It’s not a choice when women are forced into having an abortion by necessity due to socioeconomic circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,157 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Are you aware of the difficulty in just obtaining a firearms license is in Ireland?

To receive one you need to get a Gardai background check, show evidence of a an adequate gun storage area with at least 2 secure doors, you are also legally restricted to a only own a small amount of ammo which if found to have more than this limit when your license is being renewed, which happens every 3 years, your license will then be revoked and you may very possibly be prosecuted and thats just a few of the restrictions.

In the US theres no limit on ammo, there's no recurring license renewal, theres no required proof of safe storage and absolutely none of the guns legally owned in Ireland are anything close to the likes of a fully automatic weapon you can walk into a shop, purchase and walk out again with, which you can do in many states in the US, in fact 177,000 of those owned in Ireland are just 2 shot sporting shotguns.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,583 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

There's a fair amount of spinning in this post, but for now, let's just say that what we're discussing here, is the repeal of Roe V. Wade. Misinformation like 'funding abortion providers' (when in actuality, the Hyde amendment prevents the provider from using the funds for abortion -which is why Planned parenthood, for example, refuses to accept them.)

And, 600million for medical services that are provided by the USG, is peanuts compared to the enormous needs for child support in the US. We're talking tens of billions if not hundreds of billions that would need to be provided in the form of health care, schools, maternal and parental leave, etc.

Finally, changing subjects, Alito's reasoning could be used for the Feds to stop funding public schools. Republicans are champing at the bit at that one. They're not in the Constitution in fact.

https://www.salon.com/2022/05/05/life-after-roe-are-already-targeting-the-right-to-a-public-education/

Is there anything in the Constitution mandating a military?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,467 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Quite the point.

Abortion services are terrible in Ireland with only 2 maternity hospitals in Ireland carrying out abortions and the vast majority of GPs not able or willing to provide abortion services despite them being legal.

Yet, many Irish want to engage in America's abortion debate.

You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭Christy42

Good to know we have someone here who can speak for the majority of women in the US.

But yeah Republicans have campaigned over this for years, the various supreme court judges lied about their opinions on this under oath because no one cares. It is weird, if no one cares then surely they aren't getting abortions and we can just agree to keep Roe vs Wade right? It is a weird thing with Republicans and social laws that they claim no one cares but they still want it the way they designed even though they seem not to care. We don't care but it absolutely has to be this way is a really weird sentence but seems to be what you think Republicans are.

As you say many black americans are left with difficult choices come election time as to which party will actually do something to help them (or not actively hurt them). It is an issue with first past the post in that you are more looking at who you want to avoid instead of who you want. Demographics of who votes Democrat and who votes Republican show that by a very large margin most African Americans believe Democrats to be the least worse option there. Plus as you also want to speak for Black women in the US, minorities make up the majority of abortions in spite of not being the majority. https://concernedwomen.org/abortion-demographics-who-has-an-abortion/. I can't speak for the majority of Black women obviously but what would say to those women about Republicans are looking after them?

Fine you want to reduce abortions through letting women actually afford the children? I am sure you will find many allies on the left. Lets start by ensuring that giving birth does not ever cost thousands as starting off in crazy debt just for giving birth to the child seems like a terrible idea. Lets increase sex education in schools so that teenagers are aware of birth control options. Lets ensure that jobs give adequate maternity/paternity leave so that people can take care of their newborns. Then once you have fixed all that and no women need an abortion for financial reasons we can talk Roe vs Wade. You see how removing access to abortions before ensuring those women don't need them is worse right?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Lawrence O'Donnell with an excellent monologue just summing up the fact that any Republican who is wholeheartedly against abortion is an absolute liar.

Also, anyone who watches this and takes some male victim complex away from it, don't bother.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just assume that conservatives lie by default and act in the worst possible faith these days. So far I feel vindicated.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Yep now we are just chomping at the bit to overturn all manner of court decision now that Stare Decisis is dead and gone. Gov. Greg Abbott wants to relitigate Plyler v. Doe ... from 1982

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Stare Decisis is not dead and gone. Talk about a complete overreaction. It was a draft opinion from one SC judge, draft being the key word.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

That's hilariously bad. He starts off with something that is completely untrue, almost misinformation if you will. This is not a SC decision. It's a leaked draft from one of the judges. He knows this, yet is willing to just bend the truth so he can have a lovely little tirade about creating a country of "rape dad's" whatever da fuq that means.

True, (as I clearly caveated in the Original Post...) but given that the GOP is supporting a movement to keep the draft, in full, and that this is being decided upon by the same people they installed (corruptly, as I have argued exhaustively already) I (and the Governor of Texas, AND the state of Louisiana, etc. reportedly) are operating from the assumption that, in June, the court will uphold this draft (what most people see as the Worst Case, here, because what else worse could the Court decide at this point?).

So I disagree in full that it is somehow an overreaction to assume the worst when discussing this, given that state lawmakers are doing far more than discussing it, they are putting the draft decision effectively into action regardless. That, in my estimation, is the overreaction here.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Even RBG, a judge who was all but worshiped by the Democrats, disagreed with the initial ruling

If any of you really cared about the core of the issue you'd be talking about it in a legal sense, instead this thread is full of nonsense that has little to do with the legalities of it all. The outcome with be decided based on legal standards and not social standards, so all the shouting about "hating women" and "controlling women" is worthless.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

If any of you really cared about the core of the issue you'd be talking about it in a legal sense, instead this thread is full of nonsense that has little to do with the legalities of it all. 

There's really no reason for a take like this; thanks for contributing it to the thread. That is interesting.

I've converted the link to free view for everyone, expires in June...

The outcome with be decided based on legal standards and not social standards, so all the shouting about "hating women" and "controlling women" is worthless.

Worthless in an amicus brief, not useless at it regards the political conversation at the center of this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

that's versus at least 10 times as many guns per person in the US

you need a good reason to own the gun as being involved in hunting or a club etc

it took you 6 weeks to get said weapon with an actual proper background check

The people who have guns are more likely to have multiple, but less one offs because its not for home protection etc

So you can see the difference between here and schateside already, where you can buy much more than a shotgun in some places on the same day, in a walmart, **** all background checks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭Christy42

The legalities that multiple people currently on the supreme court who were voted in by Republicans were fine with? The legalities are an excuse that none of the Republicans actually care about.

I mean if it is just the legal details that is the issue I am sure it can get codified in a better manner before this judgement comes out? I am presuming Republicans would be on board with this since it is just about the legal issues and nothing to do with the social manner. There is a vote next Wednesday I believe.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. For me, it is an overreaction to a draft document, especially when the abandonment of Stare Decisis is brought into the discussion. Moreover, looking at the reasoning in the draft document it looks very very flimsy and that's being overly kind. I just can't see how that would have got past the other judges. Roe and Casey may very well have been a "bad" decision constitutionally but you don't replace bad law with more bad law.

New legislation is always being drafted and can often find itself in front of the SC, which is how this whole debacle started.

The draft is very much so being viewed as close to the final version. So it's very much so being viewed as close to reality.

Yet our history of mass shootings is very very low ..must be some reason for that ?

Lack of a politicised gun culture glorifying " stopping power " as you put it .

Many people hunt for sport in Ireland whether you're for or against it .

Nobody ( unless organised crime) here encouraging people to carry guns to shoot other people .

That's exactly my problem with this. It shouldn't be viewed as being close to the final version for a whole host of reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

But the problem many have now is that a Justice can’t really change their mind now as that will look like they’re bowing to pressure from outside the court.

I can’t believe SC Justice writes a draft opinion where the person they quote as saying abortion is ‘murder’ was someone from the 17th century who believed in witches

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement