Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Wow. Joe McCarthy on the bench. Good for him that's a big decision. Especially with Baird fit and Murphy with European experience and in good form.

Form fully rewarded with Ruddock and TOB both in the match day squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

Some team named. Didn't see McCarthy selection coming and it's a tough call on Frawley.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Mmm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Wow! No Larmour! He must be dropping down the rankings. Delighted for J.O.B. He's a fine player. McCarthy making his Euro debut, too.

Leinster will have to weather a storm for periods of this match. Tigers are a forward oriented side. If this was a home match I would be confident. I am nervous for this one.

Just noticed for the u20's game that Hanan is not selected! Boyle is in on the bench. I can't remember Hanan from any recent u20's. I would assume that Boyle would be a better prospect? Also, O'Tighernaigh getting a start is great! Maybe he does make the academy!

I know very little about the clubs team. Are they any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Hanan is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Larmour is still injured. He was supposed to be back for the trip to SA but hasn't even been training afaik.

Think JOB would still be starting though, he deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Leinster 6 point favourites for this game which is surprising. For some reason I just don't have a good feeling about this game.

Even looking at the starting 15s only Genge gets in a combined XV. One could argue Ashton but JOBs all around game takes it for me. Possibly Weise over Conan? But Conans rounded skillset I think outweights Weises abrasion.

Even on the bench I think Leinster out perform their opposite numbers (figuratively in TOBs case.....) Wigglesworth over McGrath probably and Wells over McCarthy but I think McCarthy only gets shaded because he's an unknown at this level

• Registered Users Posts: 20,294 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The Leinster scrum isn't terrible but it's not likely a weapon. Genge could be an important element if there are a lot of scrums.

Likewise Ashton and Weise are bigger and stronger than their Leinster counterparts. Leinster is probably as skillful as anyone in the competition, but their weak spot is still the potential for a team to just run over them.

I don't know if Leicester had the size or strength to run over this Leinster side. But it's probably their best bet.

Delighted with TOB's inclusion. I wondered about why he wasn't involved in the squad last week and whether he might be considered for a bench spot this week. He was so useful in the Sharks match. Hope he can express himself in the game tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Front row is quite different to the one England got on top of. Will be quite interesting to see what different Kelleher and Porter make.

I hope they can make the difference. I'm presuming Cole doesn't have the legs he used to have, but he's a destructive scrummager.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

England were illegal in a lot of those scrums though, so if the ref does his job and keeps things within the laws then Leinster should be fine.

Is it the same ref?

Edit: yes it's Mathieu Raynal who reffed the England game is in charge tomorrow. I'm sure leinster has been his ear from the earliest opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Leinster by 10. Only concern is j.ryan straight in after about 8 weeks on the sidelines.

Discipline should be better than Leicester.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Anyone have any suggestions for where to watch it in Madrid?

Worried about RyN too! He's been out for months and has to hit the ground running. I can't call this one. Raynal could be a deciding factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

According to Murray Kinsella he's been back in contact training for weeks and the players who stayed home from SA had the legs run off them in those couple of weeks so hopefully his fitness should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Spare a thought for Josh Murphy, has been excellent recently and I'm sure he's very disappointed at not making the squad. I'd have had him in ahead of McCarthy personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I just don't see the hype around Josh Murphy personally. Too small for lock, not skilful enough for the back row. And just generally quite a clumsy, indisciplined player. I don't think he makes the Connacht XV next season.

With McCarthy and Soroka coming through, I don't think his departure weakens us at all. They both have potential to be much better players.

Murphy will probably line out versus Munster in the final urc match. He's a very good player, would be better if he could improve his discipline. Connacht fans will like him. Robust, abrasive and a great workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Just watched the second half of Leinster A vs Leinster AIL XV, Deeney and McKee have kept their form from South Africa, Deeney has a great pair of hands set up a try with a chargedown then offload. Not sure of their names but no 18 & 19 who came on the second half look like big units, anyone know if their potential debutants next season?

Few interesting tidbits from BOD on OTB, recommend listening to it but:

Leicester usually kick the leather off the ball, Ford kicks as much as he passes, and they play no rugby in their own half. Having a FB as good as Keenan will help there.

Didn't seem to think the break for the first team would do any harm, can be like a little pre season and gives a chance to work on detail.

And most interesting, says he'd heard talk that Leinster expect Joe McCarthy to be a James Ryan standard player, he's at that sort of level.

That's high praise indeed for McCarthy. Hopefully, it's going to be. Baird was so hyped too and he's yet to deliver, imo. I can see McCarthy subbing Ryan today. I'd be happy if Ryan was able to get 60 minutes. It's such a long lay off and then returning into a match like this.

I think Molony has become vital for Leinster. He's been brilliant this year. He's come to the point where we all had expectations for him when he 1st broke into the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Been a slow enough journey for Moloney, considering he was a sub in our semi final defeat to Clermont in 2017. Since then he has only managed to be selected for two sub appearances in knockout games. Not including the Connacht games.

Advertisement