Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I don't see how they can attack it; they have nothing which can really reach that far. Nor do they really have anything powerful enough; it's a pretty beefy bridge by all accounts.

I suppose they could pack a vehicle or train car with explosives but that seems unlikely somehow; especially after announcing that they're going to attack it...

Doesnt look like a switcblade drone to me in the video,more like a mortar or grenade.

Switchblades dives onto the target from above 160 km/h i thought you would have seen that atleast in the video

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Unmanned boat presumably being the best and most capable option .

Weight of payload and ability to hit columns .

Would have to imagine taking out snake island several times and the hit on the cruiser today aren't isolated. It's about giving more control over that side of the black sea.

They don't dive from directly above; given the orientation of the camera it could very well be a Switchblade. Also 300s have a speed closer to 100km/h; the 600s are higher speed and this clearly isn't a 600 if it is a Switchblade.

Also it clearly detonates in mid-air whereas most footage from Ukraine hasn't shown extensive use of proximity fuses; but it is consistent with the Switchblade.

Trajectory of the shrapnel pretty clearly rules out a mortar; and is also consistent with the type of 40mm grenade used in the Switchblade: i.e. a frontal cone.

But if it's a Switchblade I have no idea why you wouldn't dive at the two guys in the trench instead of what looks like a machine-gun emplacement which probably doesn't have anyone in it.

So I don't think we can rule out a Switchblade but I'm not 100% convinced either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Those Russian priests are an evil looking bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

The Catholic church has had it's abuse scandals but can you imagine what these unbridled animals have done in that wicked system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Switchblade or other, it did damage for sure, even as a near miss. I would not like to have been that close to it anyway. Definitely will not improve their sleep patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

# JRS_reports: Russian propaganda has created a manipulation of the absolute control of the Russian leadership over the course of hostilities in Ukraine.

⚠ According to Russian State Duma deputy O. Matveychev, “Putin is deliberately creating a sense of their quick victory for Ukraine and the West. The latter will not strike decisive blows yet, but will continue to create the illusion that Russia will be defeated a little more. "

⚠ According to the "expert", such a strategy will force the West to provide Ukraine with all possible weapons. After that, Russia "disposes of all NATO weapons" and "strikes a decisive blow." The population of the Russian Federation "must understand this and fully trust the Supreme Commander-in-Chief."

It's official, Baldric is chief adviser to the Horde government. A more cunning plan, there never was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Watching the latest vox pop video from Moscow and they asked a load of young men if they would like to be conscripted into the army. Every single one of them was opposed, even former soldiers who spoke disparagingly about their experiences. Looks like word is filtering back that the entire "special operation" is a shambles, despite the best efforts of the TV propagandists.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well you can recognise Lavrov, but who are the other two?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

I thought it was Thanos that was responsible for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It was Beasty but after some psychological reconditioning they're back on our side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

If you pinned a tail on that plan, it would squeal loudly and promptly run, headlong, into the nearest wall 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

It looks like its a pin just below the top link? The top link is clearly visible above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

The RSOTM Telegram channel run by Wagner private military contractors currently in Ukraine said that either “there will be a mobilization or we will lose the war.” They think they need 600-800k people to defeat Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ceramic

I find it a little amusing that they think the Americans might run out of weapons. There are many things you could say about the US, but that it’s likely to have a shortage of weapons is not one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Doesn't US military doctrine call for a storage capacity of 6 months of munitions at all times. Think I read that somewhere before.

If anyone is going to run out of weapons, sure as **** won't be the US.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's pretty obvious Russia will run out of tanks/APC/planes and helicopter before the US would.

Much easier and faster producing a javelin in the US vs Russia trying to produce a tank.

I think I read Russia were only producing 200 tanks a year lately (before sanctions).... so in 2 months Ukraine has destroyed 5 years of production.

Hmm yeah I had forgotten about the Unmanned Coastal Patrol Vessels.

We don't really know much about them but I believe the Pentagon implied they were for surveillance and de-mining operations rather than being capable of offensive operations by themselves.

And if they are on the larger side (large enough to deliver a payload big enough to significantly damage a bridge) I can't imagine the US looking kindly on them being used as suicide drones against what is essentially a civilian road/rail bridge.

I suppose we'll find out on the 9th either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

What do they mean by 'land bridge' though? Are they on about the Kerch Strait bridge or the actual land bridge that runs along the coast of the Azov?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky outlined his conditions Friday for entering peace talks with Russia, demanding a restoration of preinvasion borders, the return of more than 5 million refugees, membership in the European Union and accountability from Russian military leaders before Kyiv would consider laying down its arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Estonian PM Kaja Kallas says that even if the war ends and there is some sort of peace agreement, trade with Russia should not resume. She points out that Putin will still be a gangster and a war criminal and it will be impossible to have any form of a normal relationship with him.

Well loitering ammunitionis is suppose to dive on to the target once its located.

And i presume the warhead is a HEDP type with tungsten pellets for an airbusts effect since it can take out light armoured vehicles as well.

If it was a switchblade you should be able to see the actual impact,and also i believe the accuracy would be somehow better as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

And that RU respects the sovernty of Ukr - pre 2008. -, that it has the right to make its own decisions as a soverign nation, that it hands over Kaliningrad to Ukr, that he hands back/ completely leave all areas of Georgia and Moldova that his army is in, that in future all military exercises have to be carried out at the minimum of 30 km from the border with Ukraine , etc, etc He will need such as bargaining chips

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The EU hasn't been "just a trading bloc" for quite a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Yep. I go on the Friday, to the hill on the other side of the airfield behind the B2 hangers for Arrivals Day. It's a great spot as all the breaks are done over that hill when they peel away. I go into the show on the Saturday, the hill again on Sunday and then shoot over to Brize on Monday to see the activity for Ukraine.

However, if things escalate, I can see the USAF cancelling the show or at least maybe moving it to Filton as they may need Fairford to launch/recover U2's, B-52's, B1 and of course B2's

I go most years. Either there or Duxford. My brother lives near Fairford. I was contemplating running a bus this year if I got enough people interested.

Interestingly, I have filmed many Russian and Ukranian Airforce participants at the show over the years, especially in the years just before and after the wall fell. It was incredible as it was the first time Russian aircraft, shrouded in mystery and secrecy, landed and displayed in a Western airbase. Everyone was in awe. There's nothing like the sound of a TU-95 Bear accelerating down the runway with its contra-rotating propellers.

The Russian Airforce today is not a patch on what it used to be back then. Now, with corruption and lack of training, they are clearly in serious bother. NATO pushed on ahead with multi-operational and multi-mission training while Russia's order of battle and operations is still running cold War tactics. That's why you never see more than 3 aircraft flying at one time for a mission. Shoot and Scoot. That's their MO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement