Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh the moves are 'predictable' to an extent, but elite-level players who've spent many hundreds of hours on that fight alone do make it look a whole lot easier than it is :) In the heat of the fight, the split-second reactions needed to dodge the 'anime attack' is a very different ordeal than seeing Let Me Solo Her ace it!

@_CreeD_ is correct though - the Mohg spear does seem to make the fight much easier, perhaps even more so than Rivers of Blood. But it's a fight that is difficult with almost every build, especially since any little mistake (let alone failing to dodge the most relentless chain attack in the game) is punished. Unless you're lucky enough to have the small number of builds that are reliable against her, you're in for a tough fight without a respec.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The main thing is being able to recognise her biggest attack, and making sure you're not spamming attacks as if you're mid-attack and she jumps up to start her attack, it's pretty much already too late to avoid it.

I also think using a summon might actually be a bad idea, as a lot of her attacks are avoidable, but she very easily switches who she's going to attack and that can be hard to read. Plus she gets health back when she hits someone, and while it's easier for the player to avoid the hits, the summons tend to just tank them and she gets health back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Different category of buffs stack, a good video i watched before:

so in general the simplest buff combo is golden vow (better as Ash of war since incantation version you need 25 faith) + flame grant me strength. and then you can eat some crab or perfume up if you are serious (the uplifting white one or the red one) - consumable buffs dont stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Golden Vow + FGMS + maybe a weapon buff is plenty for me.

Can't be arsed being there buffing for 30-40 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

is not worth to do it more than 2-3 buffs from my experience because by the time you buffed on 4-5, your first buff would be reduced to half duration when you actually hit the boss ha.

• Advertisement

Got through the Haligtree area using Mohg's spear and finally made it to Malenia. Knew it might take a few tries to get the timing right with the spear and having lost familiarity with her attack patterns.

Got her first try. The spear is just insane. I know she's weaker to bloodloss anyway, but good god damn... Feels like I cheated.

Just going to barrel through to the end now. Need to finish up the other endings for the platinum. Even just hopped on Torrent and sped through Deeproot Depths to fight the main boss there just to close it out. I think if DLC comes I'll probably jump back to my first playthrough character, though might level it up a bit more once I know DLC is coming to refamiliarise myself with the game and do some farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Spooch

I've hit an absolute wall with the last boss. I'm over this game and ready to be finished since Haligtree and Farum Azula but I just can't get passed the last fcucking hurdle

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

If I can do it anyone can, tbh I went farming for specific gear - Halligtree shield, raised holy defence and summoned to get past it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Respec for rivers of blood if you want to annihilate the last boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Spooch

GET IN YA BEAUTYYYYYY

Lvl 159, 73 hours, and Hard-Carried across the finish line by the greatest man I've ever met in a video game, whoever you are 'Neil', you just helped me finish my first Souls game. Now i'm going outside to touch grass

• Advertisement

Turned off cloud save backup after beating Hoarah Loux. Beat Radagon and Elden Beast (would not advise trying the Radagon glitch where you run up beside him at the start and he doesn't attack. Don't ask me how, but I've come to realise that was patched out). Did the Lord of Frenzied Flame ending.

Copied my save back from the cloud to go back to after beating Hoarah Loux again. Beat Radagon and Elden Beast again. Was about to activate the ending when I realised.... I never used Miquella's Needle to deactivate the Frenzied Flame ending...

Near had a sh*tfit as tried to fast travel out but all the sites of grace were crossed out and thought I'd locked myself out of the normal ending, but luckily when I went to the site of grace in the ending area I was able to get back to Farum Azula, use the needle and do one of the normal endings for the platinum.

Second playthrough done in just over 66 hours. Coupled with 102 hours for first playthrough, that's literally just over a week of playtime.

One of the greatest games ever. I didn't think it would top Sekiro in my list, but damn... maybe it does....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

I'm level 85 with 71 hours played. how can you be that level with that many hours? what am I doing wrong as I didn't think I was taking it slow. currently at Leyndell, Capital of Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Personally, I found that once I got beyond level 100, I made it to level 140 in what felt like no time, the enemies just started dropping more runes, without being necessarily that much more difficult. The capital has some tough nights, but you'll be flying after it

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

Man I hate the snow place. It’s a pain

How I "beat" Elden Ring. Disclaimer, was drunk didn't know what was happening and the random I summoned was a god.

That hateful feeling when you run to avoid one of Elden Beast's AOE attacks, look back towards him, and he's shifted to the entire other side of the arena...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

On level 70 after 72 hours here with the last 2 hours spent trying to beat Elemer Briar in shaded castle! Think my issue is spending too much time trying to beat bosses I'm not ready for and aimless wandering and then losing levels worth of runes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

You're doing it wrong: farm runes up to the point where you have enough to level up, and then proceed to wonder without a care.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't think I've actually summoned a real life player at all.

The game's summons are plenty good enough. Too good, to be honest. Oleg, Engvall, Tiche, Latenna can wreck bosses on their own and they're only the ones I've tried. There are probably plenty of other summons who are great.

Summoning another player also increases the Bosses' health AFAIK. Though if the person you summon is decently strong and knows the best strats/weapons for the boss they should be able to more than negate that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Bought Elden Ring a few days after it was released and have been playing it ever since. Still on my first playthrough but right at the end now. The first serious challenge for me was the Fire Giant, I was stuck on him for at least 2 weeks. Most other bosses took between 1 and 5 tries to take down. I found bosses such as Godskin Duo and Starscourge Radahn over rated in terms of their difficulty, the Fire Giant was so much more difficult than either of those in my opinion. The next boss I had serious difficulty with was Alecto Black Knife Ringleader. He took me about 30 attempts and finally got him down last night. I've Tried the Elden Beast several times, still can't take him down and i'm level 278. However I now have the Black Knife Tiche so that should help me take him down soon and eventually start NG+.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Level 278 on your first playthrough?! I was around half that when I finished 😅

I will always summon a player if I find a summoning pool, for one, it makes areas a bit more interesting to traverse - see crumbling farum azula, but also, it invites invaders as well. Almost always, as soon as I've beaten a boss, I'll go back outside the arena and throw down my sign to try and give some other misfortune a dig out.

Also - If summoning, I never call for more than one additional character, each one you bring adds significant hp to the boss, so it can make bosses with large AOE or instakill attacks harder, as they have more opportunity to kill you.

I've played all the souls games, but this is the first one I've been onboard from launch day, and its been a blast, seeing so many messages, bloodstains and people helping / looking for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Gave up on this guy after about 3 days. Checked a walkthrough to see how much I had to play and realised I missed about 5 areas before Atlas plateau! Finished Nokron last night and starting Deeproot depths now. I'm miles from the end I realised and starting to feel burnt out. Only getting an hour most days if even so might just leave it for weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

Man the beast clergy man in crumbling farum Azula is seriously wrecking my head. His second phase is a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

The game changes when you reach mountain top of the giants, there is a big spike in difficulty from there on in...everything is super tanky and areas are littered with bullshit and tedium, the fire giant was the first boss of the game that gave me real trouble, his first phase is fine, but second phase he takes almost no damage, going for his hands is the best option but they're on fire and he uses them as weapons so it's very risky, he can also one shot you with that roll he does and he has an instant kill AOE attack if you get caught in it, it took me well into double figures to beat him.

But the worst was yet to come, that commander O Niall in castle sol was just a troll boss, the whole castle was just a pain but he was the icing on the cake, he spams AOE attacks constantly and I mean constantly, 99.9% of his attacks are AOE's and I honestly couldn't find a way to punish him, I'm using a mele build and I just found it impossible, my attacks even the quick attacks were simply too slow, by the time I'd land he'd instantly catch me with something.

I ended up cheesing him with the arrow method.

I'm starting to think the game is just too big and tries to do too much, the later stages are just lazy with very artificial difficulty, they reuse bosses and sometimes combine them just to make it extra hard, it feels lazy, I mean by all means make a boss fight challenging but shoehorning a second one in just because is not the way to go imo.

I get what you say and agree to some extent. I found the later stages tricky and a similar spike in difficulty, I was putting it down to being a little under levelled (especially with my skill set) that area was tough, Leyndell to some extent and Mohgwyn, Farum Azule. I just found this and it seems to be grounded in fact. https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Recommended+Level+by+Location

I had been trying to finish it at 120, I pushed this to 125 and was on the road to 150 when I beat it. I know people can beat this games as a level one, in pants with a stick. That's not me.

Black Knife Tiche if you have her, helped me enormously. That and hiding behind an enormous shield poking him with a spear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Dang, I'm about 110 and just did the Academy - although did get lost and did Caria and a chunk of Caelid before I went to the right of the lake.

• Advertisement

I was roughly the same as you at that point, and took a week away from the game, it actually made all the difference, as i was excited to be exploring again afterwards.

as for Elmer, he was tough enough I found, left him alone and went back to him when I was over 100 and had a mimic tear and gave im a proper sorting!

Advertisement