Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Assembly Elections - A rerun of the GFA referendum?

Options

Comments

You've already voted to accept the outcome of a border poll when you voted for the good Friday agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭briany

DUP are going to have to compromise on their stupid opposition to the NI Protocol if they ever want to be the largest party in Northern Ireland again. It's not so much that Irish Nationalism is growing to any great extent in the North, but younger people and more politically-moderate Unionists have to be be feeling sorely alienated by some of the DUP's blinkered stances.

So, that party can either choose to get with the program or stick their head in the sand. If they choose the latter, it won't matter. The electoral realities will remain the same. Sorry.

To let sf back in derry,after that all was alleged to gone on around anderson and co....is some blunder.....sf should have been dead there a generation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I just wonder what will happen if sein féin do get in, I've been following the elections all day on bbc news and i just hope that it won't annoy the unionists or cause more trouble, i know its not worded well but hopefully yous get me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

If loyalists do act up, then they should treated accordingly by the PSNI, a few slaps would do them the world of good especially the likes of Bryson and Allister. Unionists should be reminded that is not the 1970s anymore, both communities count.

As for Unionists getting annoyed, what doesn't get them annoyed? They've just realised in the last week that SF want a United Ireland and a Language Act scares them. I have my doubts that they are very few actual democrats on the Unionist side, let prove me wrong with little Jeff swanning back to Westminister

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ah god love them. Maybe the Shinners should ignore democracy for fear of offending unionists

They've no justification to be annoyed or to cause trouble. What can they be annoyed about? That they lost the election? That's really a 'them' problem. Throwing a tantrum might feel good in the short term, but it will only hasten their demise. If NI Unionism wants to remain relevant, it's parties will need to figure out how to stop stepping on rakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Get in"??......they already are in...thats how power sharing works......

Sinn Fein will be the largest party in the 6 counties and the 26 counties(next election).....

United Ireland by the end of the decade....

All brought in by the DUP deciding brexit was the way to go.......a colossal misread which will ultimately cost them their very reason for existing!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Boris johnson and the erg,will launch some breed of a thinktank on the protocol,which will be of such importance that donaldson will need to stay in westminister and thus abstain/resign from stormont to avoid nominating MON as first minister....but continue on as dup leader

Theres a face-saving way out of the corner dup have painted emselves,if they want it....and use next few years to neuter the tuv rise.....they may even peel back the losses to alliance,but if alliance do well in powersharing,may be difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Absolutely fantastic results from the election. Now the pressure is on Michelle and her MA'S to follow on on promises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Fantastic to see the greens wiped out of the assembly. Now need the mirror image in Kildare st to get rid of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I know they have gotten in, i was just asking what will happen although i know their is power sharing it doesn't feel like it to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You claim nationalists didn't like FF, FG , Labour campaigning.

Well, if that were true, that tells us all we need to know about how a UI is impossible because breaking news, whether you like it or not, they represent between them the bulk of the Irish political scene.

The fact is people in the Republic are too different to nationalists in the north. We vote on bread and butter. Constitutional status, the north does not come in to it.

That's why there'll never be a UI in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

People in the North ignored them as well.

The SDLP had nothing positive to say and came across as only defined by others.

Any party like that, regardless of context is always in trouble.

I suspect that they are incapable of change, unwilling and will continue to peter out.

That's all on the SDLP and the low quality leadership.

I don't see a United Ireland by the end of the decade unless something changes to the point that staying in the UK becomes untenable for a majority of its voters. The shock of a hard Brexit on an already economically depressed region could have been that thing, but the NIP has helped insulate NI from those negative effects.

I don't believe that Sinn Fein are set to become the largest party on their UI policy so much as it is on their pro-NIP policy and an apparent drop off for DUP support as the latter stubbornly and blinkeredly opposes something that the majority of NI people seem to be in favour of.

If Sinn Fein turn around now and start going on in earnest about a border poll again, they'll really just be making a rod for their own back. They have to continue to play the long game, show why they're the fittest party to lead NI by addressing everyday economic and social issues, and basically hope that a UI is something that a majority of people in NI gradually come around to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Shinners don't even mention a United Ireland anymore, "New Ireland" is as far as they'll go, suitable vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

If I may dare, you are looking at this the wrong way. A large swathe of republicans/nationalists up north look at the southern party's of FF/FG as abandoning them for the most part during the troubles. (They might identify as Irish, but that doesn't mean they identify as FF/FGers)

People in the South aren't different to us in the north, you only need to look at how Irish people, whether Northern or Southern interact in person, be it at sporting event, on holidays or likewise.

I do not claim to speak for every nationalist/republican, but from my own perspective I was really annoyed at FG/FF and Labour reps out pictured canvassing alongside SDLP reps, simply because they (FG/FF LAB) reps ignored us for decades until it looks inevitable that their power sharing reign is about to end.

Michael Martin, Neal Richmond etc weren't on our doorsteps canvassing for SDLP, they were canvassing for people not to vote Sinn Fein.

People up here aren't stupid, I believe that they got their answer. Hopefully a mirrored result in the next elections in the 26 counties.

Post edited by shirrup on

Tbf if someone from opposite end of country come to my door canvassing for a local canditdate,id be inclined to tell rev up,and eff too

Whole thing come across as a party,which hadnt enough members to canvass for itself and subbed the hard work of canvassing out

United Ireland has its own page on their website.

Sinn Féin is the United Ireland party. This is our core political objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is another issue. There seems to be an assumption that an ordinary Irish person like me would be prepared to give up my flag, my anthem, accept some demented 'democratic' formula on representation, join the commonwealth and all this craic to appease some angry unionists.

Digging a hole for themselves on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭bricksNDmortar

This makes beautiful reading

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There will be a united Ireland when there is a broad consensus both north & south, but only then. And with the increase in political polarisation up north over the last couple of decades, that seems to be further away than ever.

As for this election, the outcome seems clear enough. SF have kept their vote and will have bragging rights over their nemesis. But that's all it will amount to. Expect months of tedious wrangling, followed by reversion to direct rule. The 'border poll' issue which SF kept mum about during the campaign will increasingly dominate their rhetoric. But the chances of it happening, never mind being successful are slim. So in effect, they've just rearranged the deckchairs in the NI Assembly.

Perhaps in time, and after a few more elections, voters will tire of this and support will seep steadily towards parties not focused on either a UI or the Queen.

Ben Lowry gave quite a fair summary of the current political state of unionism this morning on RTE radio.

"I do not claim to speak for every nationalist/republican, but from my own perspective I was really annoyed at FG/FG and Labour reps out pictured canvassing alongside SDLP reps, simply because they (FG/FF LAB) reps ignored us for decades until it looks inevitable that their power sharing reign is about to end.

Michael Martin, Neal Richmond etc weren't on our doorsteps canvassing for SDLP, they were canvassing for people not to vote Sinn Fein."

Eh.. you do realise that this just maybe, because Sinn Féin are the political wing of what was not long ago a violent Republican organisation. You have heard I presume of the strategy of 'an armalite in one hand and a ballot box in the other'? An organisation that also considered the Republic's government as not legitimate and who murdered members of our defence forces and Gardaí.

We don't forget those things down south and it's why the vote in SF in the Republic is self limiting as there are still many who lived through those times and know what they were about. It's also explains why southern parties like FF or FG or Lab are much more comfortable supporting the SDLP or Alliance etc.

Can you please explain to me how a political party "kept mum" about something that was a major part of the very manifesto for the election they campaigned on?

You wouldn't be trying to claim that Irish unification is some kind of sly political undertone they possess would you, because that would just expose your political naivety, or else you're on a mission to try and wind up folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why would you say the 'chance of it happening are slim'?

Is that wishful thinking Furze?

I witnessed the UK attempt to shaft the DUP hours before the election, I wouldn't be ruling anything out.

*I wouldn't trust a word out of Ben Lowry's mouth,. he's a hardline Unionist masquerading as an editor.

It's called not scaring the horses.. but once they're across the line, we'll never hear the end of it.

Which is fine, but if ye want a border poll, then start working to persuade those across all parts of the political spectrum that it's a worthwhile idea to vote for a UI.

Hang on, are you now saying that the "kept mum" about something that is a key part of their very reason to exist as a political party (they're republican, right?) and a key component of their 2022 manifesto was actually incorrect?

• Advertisement

Because no one in their right mind Francie, would conduct a border poll, unless the result is a conclusive resounding result, one way or the other.

If it were to be openly contentious, it'd be a divisive disaster for everyone on our island.

And it's clear that it would be greatly contentious both up north and down south, in the present an immediate future.

Advertisement