Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Workmen are busy with last minute preparations for Putin's special parade on the 9th....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Why RTE are giving Claire Daly any airtime is beyond me. She's an absolute creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Didn't they get the plans from the Mexican cartels? I think someone posted that on this thread some time ago. 3d printing FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I wonder how that would work as regards gas and fertilizer. Would be great if the consequences of cutting off Russia as regards a food/ energy breakdown were performed.

The Haber Bosch process is used to make fertilizer from gas, nevermind phosphorus etc.

The question is, if we cut off Russia how many will die from starvation? If it's none we could move on that even if it wrecks the EU economy. If it's a large number maybe the response needs to be more nuanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Despite Russia claims they've all been destroyed several times over, new footage keeps emerging from Ukrainian TB2 drone strikes

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The hazards of Nukes being carried by planes. The chances of an accident, combined with Russian incompetence is a chilling thought. I wonder how many Russian Broken Arrows have occurred ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ukrainian counterstrike up North seems to be in full swing and may the wind be at their backs but the situation down south does seem very dicey. While Russian progress is extremely slow, they do seem to be slowly making limited gains. Not anything where they thought they would, but still gains.

Hopefully with new western tech at play these orcs can be driven back, and give Russia nothing to celebrate for May 9th. Maybe commemorate all those dead on a senseless war started by a madman.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement

From the Guardian:

Nearly four million Russians left the country in the first three months of 2022, official statistics published by Russia’s federal security service (FSB) show.

A total of 3,880,679 Russians travelled between January and March, according to the figures. It is unclear how many have since returned to their home country.

Arrivals to former Soviet countries saw a significant spike after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine on 24 February. Russians who left the country out of opposition to the war were joined by those escaping rumoured border closures, martial law and mass mobilisation that have so far not materialised, the Moscow Times reports.

Georgia took in 38,281 Russians in the first quarter of 2022, the FSB said, a nearly fivefold increase from the 8,504 Russians accepted over the same time last year.

Tajikistan also saw a nearly fivefold increase in Russian arrivals, from 8,857 in January-March 2021 to 40,054 in the same time period this year.

Estonia saw a fourfold increase (125,426) compared with last year (29,364). Fellow Baltic states Latvia (25,568 compared with 13,521) and Lithuania (48,197 compared with 41,838) saw slight increases.

Armenia saw a threefold jump of 134,129 from 44,586 over the same time last year. Uzbekistan saw a similar threefold at 53,084 this year compared with 15,206 in 2021.

The number of Russians arriving in Kazakhstan doubled to 204,947 in January-March 2022 from 122,330.

There was a slight increase in the number of Russians travelling to Ukraine – 328,435, up from 316,286 in January-March 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Man to man, the Ukrainian soldiers are better than their Russian counterparts. If they can push the russians out of the northern areas, while continuing to hold them off, or significantly slow them down, in the south, then you can see them turning their full focus on the southern area in time. If, and hopefully when, that stage comes, i think the Russians will have to retreat. The Ukrainians seem to be taking areas back faster than the Russians are taking them.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

One thing nobody is taking into account is Ukranian casualties, while they might not be as bad as Russian casualties,. they are, by some of the first hand accounts of international fighters, pretty high and counter offensives tend to cost more lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I agree, but I think that Ukraine has one thing that Russia does not have, and that is a population that is willing to fight for their rights. Also, as we have seen there are many foreign fighters willing to sign up.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Kirby more than implied that the ROVs had a significan't offensive capability:

"Coastal defense is something that Ukraine has repeatedly said they’re interested in,’ Pentagon spokesman John Kirby told reporters after the announcement of the weapons package. ...‘It is particularly an acute need now, as we see the Russians really refocus their efforts on the east and in the south’.‘And of course, when you talk about the east and the south, you’re talking about the Sea of Azov in a maritime environment and you’re talking about the northern Black Sea. So, these capabilities will be — we hope, helpful in their coastal defense needs,’...When reporters tried to get more detailed information, Kirby said, ‘I’m not going to promise you a newsletter, but I can promise that this deadly thing will work.’" https://root-nation.com/en/articles-en/weapons-en/en-unmanned-coastal-defence-vessels/

The talk of coastal defence needs and a characterisation of 'deadly' mean these things definitely have a significant offensive capability, they are not just for surveilance and de-mining.

Amazing piece about the Ukrainians on the frontlines in Donbas

Several hours earlier, in a cafe in the city of Dnipro, Dima shows me an image on his phone. Four bodies lie in the dirt. The image is grainy, but their ragged outlines are clear. Just 20 or so metres away, their comrades sit and eat. “It’s incredible,” says Dima. “​They’re eating lunch right by the decomposing bodies of their friends.” He continues: “I don’t understand the Russians. Sometimes they just drop the bodies of their mates into trenches. We found a grave of 15 bodies. They’d thrown a bit of dirt on them, but that was it. They don’t even respect their own people.

I ask if he minds if I take photos of him. “Take as many photos as you want,” he replies. “I spit on these bastards.” He’s into his stride now. “Look at General Zhukov, the ‘Great Marshal’ who was just a butcher. The Russians are fighting like Zhukov. They send wave after wave but our guys figured out they fight just like Soviets. The tank commander is always in the first tank, so we shoot it. Once you shoot the first and last tanks, they’re immobilised.”

Yeah, any poor sod trying to heat their cottage in Connemara by digging and turning a few sods could have told him that.

Nukes do not detonate in a nuclear fashion in an accident or if they are intercepted before triggering. They might make a mess, if blown apart, but you can clean up messes more easily than raise the dead.

If the Russians or US have trouble recovering lost warheads with their resources, I'm not even slightly concerned ISIS will have better success.

• Advertisement

As mentioned previously, there was a few week gap with no indication the Ukrainians had any TB2s and all we got was footage from presumably modified heavy lift 6 rotor commercial drones dropping the printed fin modified anti-tank grenades from directly above, then suddenly they seemed to have them again, so I think they were down to one or two for a while before receiving a new shipment.

Interesting the secrecy around the big drones dropping the grenades, there seems to be an absolute information embargo on those, likely so the suppliers can continue selling a surprising number of them them to the new media company with the insatiable demand for drones that can heft large video cameras, without the Orcs asking their Asian friends to have a word with Shenzen Heavy Friend Drone Company to stop selling them to certain customers.

Wouldn't fancy taking in more Russians if I were a neighbouring country. Doesn't seem the wisest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Given they're more likely to be Russians who don't agree with this war and have a need to get out before while they can and have the means to do so, I'm not seeing the threat tbh.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Speaking of TB2s, it seems the Russians have a broken "cope" TB2 they carry around with them and reassemble to pretend it's another new downed TB2

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭toyotatommy

The noose has to be tightening in on Putin now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Watch the video he linked. It's not quite that simple. B52 broke up in mid air releasing two H bombs; one thought it was still in the bomb bay and just fell, the other had its arm switch torn off and thought it was on a mission, drogue chutes deployed and it went through all the failsafes and was a go for bang. By pure dumb luck the very last failsafe switch was still in play and it didn't go off. The other bomb's last switch was set to arm. If pure dumb luck had gone the other way and that device's arm switch had been torn off then a large chunk of an American state would have been incinerated and because the other bombs switch was set to ground detonation the fallout would have poisoned a goodly chunk of the eastern US all the way to New York.

These days it's less likely as protocols will have hopefully been tightened up on both sides. Plus before both sides got a handle on rocketry, the constant bombers in the air 24/7/365 carrying way more nuclear weapons was far riskier as they were essentially autonomous and an accident could have too easily caused a detonation. If there is an accident today or in the future I'd bet it would be one of those mobile launchers.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You're giving them a huge amount of benefit of the doubt. Do you think the ones who went to the middle east did so out of solidarity with the Ukrainians? They're doing it for their own personal financial benefit, that's the only principle they give a **** about. Haven't seen any protests from the Russians in Abu Dhabi. Nor the thousands upon thousands of young professionals who've gone elsewhere.

More explosions in Transnistria. The Kremlin possibly gearing up for some sort of action over there or at least leaving the door open.

May require exercising some imagination until a more realistic likeness can be found, hopefully soon.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement