Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer bulbs (dahlia/agapanthus)...

Options
  • 26-02-2021 8:34pm

Hello, novice gardner here, would appreciate some basic advice...

I have loads of dahlia and agapanthus bulbs / tubers, waiting to be planted out (in pots mostly). However, I guess I've kept them too warm or moist as when I peeked into their storage box earlier lots of them were starting to grow little green shoots. Is it ok to plant them out or too early? I don't care when they flower just that they do :)

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Dahlias are very tender, best to wait a few months til all frost is past.

Dahlias are very tender, best to wait a few months til all frost is past.

Thanks for that. Poor little Dahlias :pac:
    Are they ok left as as is or would they be happier planted in indoor pots?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agapanthus are usually left outside for the winter. They flower better confined into a pot, but you don't need to bring them in if they are the ones that die down in winter. I believe there are some evergreen ones that you bring indoors, but if you just have corms/bulbs I guess they are deciduous?

looksee wrote: »
    Agapanthus are usually left outside for the winter. They flower better confined into a pot, but you don't need to bring them in if they are the ones that die down in winter. I believe there are some evergreen ones that you bring indoors, but if you just have corms/bulbs I guess they are deciduous?

Yes - deciduous ones.

Ok - thanks both - I think I got it. Delicate dahlias stay where they are until after last frost, then out they go. The Agapanthus corms (had to look that up) which seem particularly exuberant can go out....
    I have abandoned all attempts at growing veg/salad/herbs this year to focus on flowers! Seemed the year for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

If you have the space, you could pot up the Dahlias indoors for planting out after the last frosts. I lift mine every year and start potting them up in March. You can take cuttings when they are in the pots and have free plants :) Plenty of guides on Youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

fiacha wrote: »
    If you have the space, you could pot up the Dahlias indoors for planting out after the last frosts. I lift mine every year and start potting them up in March. You can take cuttings when they are in the pots and have free plants :) Plenty of guides on Youtube.

You can also cut the tubers up, some videos on how to do it on YouTube. Worked a charm for me last year

If anyone is interested - this week's Gardeners World had Monty Don planting dahlias, both tubers and from seed. It's on youtube.

I am such a neophyte (idiot) I hadn't realised that tubers > number of dahlia flowers. So apparently I'd ordered enough to fill out a commercial growing operation :o :pac: Had to drop a few off to various amused friends, family members...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Sorry to post in an old thread but would anyone know when is the best time to plant dahlia bulbs outdoors. Is May to late?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

About Easter should be fine this year. Personally I'd have no issues planting them now myself. But its not best practice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi folks. I presume it's okay to plant my dahlia and begonia bulbs outside now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I leave my dahlias in the ground and in pots all year round outside. They seem to come back fine. They are just starting to show shoots now which hopefully the slugs wont get. I think moisture in winter and rot is a bigger issue for dahlias than frosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Have loads in pots most about a foot tall now. Almost time to pinch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

What area are you in?

Going back to the OP dahlias wouldn't last in pots outside for us in Waterford but well mulched are normally OK in the soil. Most agapanthus are hardy anyway so are fine in the soil and outside in pots.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Kildare area so definitely get frosts. It could depend on variety and drainage. I've Honka variety few years in the ground now but planted some bishop of llandaff last year so it will be interesting if they come back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The Bishop has been outside in the ground here for a few years.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement