Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gun: Maverick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'd be surprised if it lost money and I really doubt it will pull in a billion. Its the one film this year where ill be saying "son were going to the cinema!" so yeah to the nostalga and lots of dog fighting jets and cool aircraft carrier scenes, whats not to like!!!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I doubt it'll lose money, I'd just wonder how well it'll do against a climate allergic to anything other than dependable brands. What's in its favour for sure is Tom Cruise's latter-day attempts to kill himself on screen via a late stage middle age crisis; means the action should be spectacular - and "real". We've already seen footage of Cruise shotgunning a takeoff; while Joseph Kosinski has shown himself an able visual director.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats a good point you make about it being "Real".

From the clips I've seen, the action looks real and genuine unlike so many modern blockbusters with their blatantly fake cgi which robs it of any suspense.

They used a revolutionary 6 Imax camera setup in each cockpit.

I have no doubt that visually and sonically it will be groundbreaking, the question is will the script be good enough.

Unless Tom wrote it himself can it really be that good??? 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, the three screenwriters are: Christopher McQuarrie (who wrote and directed all the latter-day Mission Impossibles, so knows how to craft a damn fine action movie); Ehren Kruger (who cowrote 3 of the 5 transformers movies, and so doesn't know how to write an action movie!); and Eric Warren Singer (whose biggest credit is co-writing American Hustle, worked with Kosinski before with Only the Brave so may just onboard to punch up some parts).

McQuarrie's the standout there, but I wouldn't know to what extent each of the 3 men has contributed to the script that was shot. If it's all McQuarrie... hype! If it's all Kruger... uh-oh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I can't imagine this ever being as quotable as the original but, let's face it, Top Gun was never about the script... or even the plot tbh. Once they have epic, well shot, dog-fights with real planes tearing off runways to that theme tune, I'll be happy...

One more trailer for the road; you definitely get the benefit of all that "in cockpit" footage, though there were a few suspiciously fake, CGI shots...

end of May , I thought it was going to be later, yipee.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Top Gun 2 is now 4 years old it was shot back in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tom do all the stunts, yeh?🤔

• Advertisement

One thing that seems to be missing from the new Top Gun are F35's.

Word is that Cruise didn't fly the jets himself but sat in the back seat.

I wonder why they didn't let Cruise fly the jets ? He could of paid a few million for insurance that would have covered any accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Those jets cost around $65m each never mind the insurance costs. He was never going to be allowed fly one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

For some reason Top Gun never did it for me way way WAAAAY back in the day. Don't know why. I do realise I am much in the minority. But I am still looking forward to this.

It will be interesting to see how this plays in 2022. The world is a VERY different place. America is a VERY different place. When the first one was released RONALD REAGAN was president of the US. I know nothing about the new movie but I wonder how they will tie it in to today's world. An "America, F*ck yeah" approach would be a tough sell outside of the US (And China is the 2nd biggest market in the world). It would cause much eye-rolling internationally. And yet an inspection of the imperialistic nature of might equals right blah blah blah would not be a Top Gun movie.

While the latest trailer seems to indicate it's a generational thing I'm assuming they will also delve into drones and the potential use of AI (Although not to the extent of the truly brilliantly awful "Stealth").

It will also be interesting to see how the flying sequences hold up. They look amazing in the trailer but I wonder will viewers find it..... "pedestrian" compared to the latest CGI blockbuster. And I do see the irony in saying "pedestrian" when referring to real fighter plane footage. Don't get me wrong, this is not a "CGI SUX" post. It has its place. It's just that it's been over 35 YEARS since the first one and effects and tastes have changed.

Look, it won't make a bajillion dollars but I hope it does well. I hope to catch it in the cinema (I LOVED the flying sequences in Dunkirk)

I think people will appreciate that it looks more "real" , CGI stuff tends to be bloated to the point of it being cartoonish and lacking any consequences. Plus there hasnt been a lot of dog fight heavy movies in the last 10 years so there should be a novelty factor.

My question is see it in a shaky seat cinema or just a big screen?

I know this might cause an eye-roll, but I think Top Gun got a bit of a retrospective bump via the internet and all those "are Iceman and Maverick in love?" homoerotic readings made out of fun and boredom. Whether you believed it or not, it did seem to get more eyeballs on a movie hitherto forgotten a little in the public consciousness; as did the relatively early passing of Tony Scott back in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

I haven’t seen the original in years and remember it to be a typical 80’s cheesy as hell actioner; I plan to watch it again before the new one but I’m not expecting it to have aged well.

The new one looks spectacular from a visual/aural sense at least and is absolutely one for the big screen for me once it arrives.

That's if you buy them new.

But old jets from the 70s and 80s wouldn't cost anywhere near that.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lady Gaga has done a song for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I think this and Elvis are the two movies that have the best shot to get cinemagoers of a certain age back to the cinema post-COVID. I don't foresee it doing huge numbers but ideally within Dune's range ($45m US opening weekend, $400m worldwide total gross).

• Advertisement

Early reviews of the new Top Gun are looking very good.

Even if the film isn't any good the aviation scenes on their own would be enough for me to want to go and see it.

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/early-reactions-call-top-gun-maverick-the-perfect-sequel-and-best-film-of-the-year-747235

• Registered Users Posts: 14,857 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Great stuff.

A pity we dont have an Imax in Ireland, might try to see this in the UK in June.

We have a fake Imax digital cinema in Dublin.

But I don't think there is any point seeing it in Imax given that they didn't use any real Imax 70mm cameras in the film.

Dunkirk is probably the closest we will get to seeing dog fights with fighter planes in Imax quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Weirdly, that they got the power ballad right makes me think this film might bring the right kind of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’ve seen him say during interviews that he did indeed pilot the jets himself, and various articles released over the last few weeks state that he did so to.

https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/film/top-gun-maverick-2-release-date-plot-cast-tom-cruise-uk-tom-cruise-val-kilmer-b997985.html?amp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Any cinemas around the country showing Top Gun before Maverick is released?

The most I have seen of the movie is the first 15 minutes - every time I sit down to watch it over the years “something” happens to interrupt it.

I’m going to watch it start to finish no matter what before I see the new film but I’m hoping one of the cinemas in Galway will show it.

I did phone Palas to inquire but the guy said no (if they do it will be last minute decision and very limited showings but not likely).

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jennifer Connelly is 51, Cruise finally getting a love interest near his age

Well I assume she is playing his love interest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

This is tracking to be the biggest US opening weekend of Cruise's career: https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-range-box-office-forecast-top-gun-maverick-and-bobs-burgers/

Advertisement